Jeep Patriot Forums banner

2017 Front Passenger Side Intermediate Axle Shaft Loose

Tags
knocking
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JeepCares 
#1 ·
My 2017 AWD High Altitude started making a knocking sound/feel when turning. It was more pronounced when I turned left, but eventually would occur when turning right. The dealership and an independent mechanic could not find the cause. I discovered that the bearing in the passenger side front axle, the ones near the wheel, were loose. I replaced the front axle. The first axle I got from Advanced Auto had the intermediate shaft as part of the whole assembly. The Youtube video I saw did remove and replace the same axle with the intermediate shaft attached. However, when I removed my front passenger axle, the intermediate shaft did not come out with it. It stayed in the differential with the splined end sticking out. I could not get it loose or remove it. I only tried pulling it moderately since I did not want to damage anything. I got a different axle that did not have the intermediate shaft attached, but had a "female" splined hole that slide over the end of the shaft sticking out of my differential. After I got it all back together with the new axle, the knocking noise was still there, but very reduced in volume and feel. After 6 months, the knocking noise/feel is much louder. I got under the car today and the new axle has quite a lot of movement/play at the differential end. It doesn't feel like the axle bearing are loose. It feels like the intermediate shaft end sticking out of the differential is what is loose. There seems to be about an 1/8" of play both pushing up and pulling down, for a total move of a 1/4". I know this cannot be right, or good.
Is it hard to yank out and replace the intermediate shaft? I am assuming the bearings it slides through at the differential opening are bad and need to be replaced.
I am hoping there is not damage deeper in the differential/transmission. Has anyone else had this problem?

See less See more
#3 ·
THIS!!!!! This is the exact same thing I've been dealing with for the past two months. I'm getting a clicking noise on acceleration only when I first start the car and pull out of my parking lot and go down one Rd. Then it seems like it warms up and I don't hear anymore clicking noises. All the joints in the axles are tight and seem fine, but it seems like the shaft and the bearing have the most play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.