Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

New Patriot owner here I picked up a 2016 Sport 4x4 with the 2.4l engine and 6 speed (non-cvt) transmission with 77k miles a few weeks ago and I am loving it so far other than I am getting an intermittent hum/vibration from what I think it the center/right side of the front end. The noise is best described as a rotating hum/whine that varies in intensity and sometimes produces a vibration you can feel in the gas pedal. It most noticeable when you let off the gas and then resume accerlation around 40 mph or can sometimes be heard when coming off a stop. The noise also seems to be worse when going up an incline.....the noise will go away if you give it more throttle or slow to a stop the noise is not constant it is intermittent and hard to replicate on purpose. Being paranoid/cautious I had the transmission serviced and everything checked out and had no change to the noise, front wheel bearings seem fine, the passenger side cv axle has a small amount of play but not bad (no grease leaking).

It doesn't seem to be affecting performance at all it is just annoying and worrisome - hopefully someone has run across this before.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
Hi @Nderico, welcome to the site.

The sound you're describing could be caused by a worn inner CV joint. This thread might be helpful:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @Nderico, welcome to the site.

The sound you're describing could be caused by a worn inner CV joint. This thread might be helpful:
Just to follow up to maybe help others, I took the jeep into the dealership and I do indeed have a bad passenger side CV, wheel bearing, and the PTU needs replaced.......disappointed to say the least as the jeep only has 78k miles and I just bought it 2 weeks ago but the dealership is covering all of the work so that is great on their part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts