Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The moment you come to a complete stop, hood shaking vibration. 60,000 miles, otherwise runs like a Top. Not in Reverse, or, Park, only in Drive, I’ve red a lot of comments, and determined, the 2.4 vibrates in gear, the mounts wear fastest in Drive, Naturally. New mounts are $600, installed, and will minimize the condition for a time.

has anyone done mounts, and does it improve the situation enough to be worth it. I just bought the vehicle, don’t know what, new, was like.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,689 Posts
Not sure about mounts, but the spark plugs are supposed to be changed every 30,000 or better and will cause misfiring and therefore shaking if the gap is off. Old plugs means bad gapping on dirty plugs, so that could be it. I run Champion double-platinum plugs so I don't need to change them as often, but others have had issues with any plugs other than the OEM NGK copper. Usually it's just a matter of checking the gap though.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,321 Posts
Mine's definitely worse when the plugs are worn, but i generally put it in neutral when I'm sitting in drive for more than a few seconds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure about mounts, but the spark plugs are supposed to be changed every 30,000 or better and will cause misfiring and therefore shaking if the gap is off. Old plugs means bad gapping on dirty plugs, so that could be it. I run Champion double-platinum plugs so I don't need to change them as often, but others have had issues with any plugs other than the OEM NGK copper. Usually it's just a matter of checking the gap though.
New Champion DP plugs, no change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine's definitely worse when the plugs are worn, but i generally put it in neutral when I'm sitting in drive for more than a few seconds.
I started doing that too. It’s the fact that it doesn’t do it, at a stop, in Reverse, that lends to mounts, and a naturally rough 2.4 idle, in gear.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,689 Posts
Might be the mounts, but I don't think it should be vibrating that much. Did you double check the gap on the new plugs before throwing them on? And if that's not it, then maybe it could be a bad batch of gas. Not sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would run a full tank of shell v-power, or chevron if available where you are, and also pour in about half a bottle of redline s-1. I'm thinking an injector issue. Somewhere I read that these injectors are prone to fouling. Over the years I've had delayed starts from running cheap gas murphy speedway and the like, and I also noticed that on a start up the exhaust odor smells pretty rich. It costs a lot but for the past two years I only run super unleaded and the curb idle is smooth. Just turned 100k on my 2.4 compass, and I have a new set of injectors I got from rock auto that I've yet to install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might be the mounts, but I don't think it should be vibrating that much. Did you double check the gap on the new plugs before throwing them on? And if that's not it, then maybe it could be a bad batch of gas. Not sure.
It doesn’t vibrate in Reverse, a miss, or vacuum leak wouldn’t care. Mounts wear little in Reverse, yes?

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,689 Posts
I wouldn't know, I haven't looked much into engine mounts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a 2015 Patriot High Altitude. We drove several Patriots before buying one. Most had this issue, including the one we bought. The dealer were we bought ours "say" in their paperwork that they had replaced two mounts before listing it for sale. I don't know when the plugs were replaced last, but I know the dealer did not. I might try plugs and and ignition coils (this helped on a couple Hondas I have had).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have a 2015 High Altitude 2.4l 4WD. From day 1 when new, my wife has complained vehemently that there is something "wrong" with the way the engine vibrates at idle. Again, only when in gear, and not in Neutral or Park. Dealer checked everything, and after a couple visits, determined it to be defective motor mounts. Mind you, this was from almost day 1!
So, with very low miles, we waited for a couple months while parts were on "national backorder", which pre-pandemic usually means "We got lots of problems with this part failing, and can't get enough of them soon enough!". Mounts were replaced, and she was happy - for a very SHORT while.:cry: Bottom line is that the factory mounts are a common, known issue on these, and even when new don't seem to last very long.

Not sure if there is an aftermarket replacement that is better designed that will last longer, but might be worth a search. I mostly drive it now, so I have learned to live with it, as it doesn't bother me near as much as it did my wife.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have a 2015 High Altitude 2.4l 4WD. From day 1 when new, my wife has complained vehemently that there is something "wrong" with the way the engine vibrates at idle. Again, only when in gear, and not in Neutral or Park. Dealer checked everything, and after a couple visits, determined it to be defective motor mounts. Mind you, this was from almost day 1!
So, with very low miles, we waited for a couple months while parts were on "national backorder", which pre-pandemic usually means "We got lots of problems with this part failing, and can't get enough of them soon enough!". Mounts were replaced, and she was happy - for a very SHORT while.:cry: Bottom line is that the factory mounts are a common, known issue on these, and even when new don't seem to last very long.

Not sure if there is an aftermarket replacement that is better designed that will last longer, but might be worth a search. I mostly drive it now, so I have learned to live with it, as it doesn't bother me near as much as it did my wife.
You make a lot of sense, I too found the condition in a few others. There are 2 common Drivability issues, I have seen, the rough idle, and dropping a cylinder under load, at low speeds. Factory spec is 60K miles on plugs, I am there, I put Champion Platinum, pre gapped, you don’t stick a gauge in them. That fixed my dropped cylinder, not the vibration. The vibration is less when cold, with Idle Enrichment on. As for mounts, Aftermarket, Oreilly’s stocks all 4, and the sell, does tell you something, yes? You’re right, if the part has a lot of sales history, it’s a failure item. I owned a NAPA Store.

Good post, well stated.👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Old Men go from Real Jeeps, yes that was my last Jeep, Holy Grail, 2005 LJ…. Sold it a month ago, and bought this 2015, now 63K miles, Patriot Limited Edition, not so Jeep 😂 It’s growing on me, I went up a tire size, Falken A/T, makes it better as a Jeep. I like the comfort, but I took a 3 week road trip to Idaho, saw dozens of Patriots, only 1 was driven by another Guy. 😂 They’re Girl Jeeps, but I’ll chase Quail at 22 mpg, instead of 10 mpg, and be able to get in and out of the vehicle without help… You can sleep in these little things too 👍

Jeeps ain’t cheap, 👍

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts