Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned I have a 2015. (Has about 66k miles) Both on Thursday and Saturday my cars engine turned off while either at a stoplight or stop sign. A few months ago my husband replaced the throttle body after my car has that lightning bolt sign come on couldn’t drive faster than 20 mph. Car worked fine. I was told back in December to get a new battery but didn’t get one until my car wouldn’t turn on a few weeks ago. Then like I said last week my car shut off twice while idle. Radio and lights all on. Didn’t notice the first time until I pressed on gas. Would take out keys and car would restart fine. Yesterday my cars engine stopped while parked and didn’t start quite as fast. Would crank but nothing. Then 2 minutes later delayed crank and worked fine. I am taking my car to be dropped off and examined tomorrow. I took it for an oil change at an auto shop on Sunday and they seem to think it was either throttle or alternator. But then I called another shop and they think it’s more electrical and referred me to the place I’m taking it. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had this happen to me as well. It happened several times a few years ago. Ended up changing the battery and all was well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@meanwithag, if a new battery didn't help and there's no codes stored it could be an intermittent problem with the crankshaft position sensor or associated wiring/connector.
Yeah my battery is new. Husband just replaced it about 2 weeks ago. That’s what we thought it was. It’s currently at mechanic getting checked out. So hopefully it’s not too expensive whatever it is!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I went to mechanic they drove it around SEVERAL times and it didn’t happen to them (of course why would it 🙄) but they couldn’t find a reason why it was doing it at all. They checked all the codes everything looked good they didn’t wanna replace anything bc they didn’t want to just charge stuff for no reason so I’m at a loss.
Okay, let us know how it turns out.

·
Administrator
7,040 Posts
The only other thing that comes to mind is getting a scanner that can record live system data, and always have it plugged in while you're driving so there's a record of what was going on with the sensors, etc. when it happened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As mentioned I have a 2015. (Has about 66k miles) Both on Thursday and Saturday my cars engine turned off while either at a stoplight or stop sign. A few months ago my husband replaced the throttle body after my car has that lightning bolt sign come on couldn’t drive faster than 20 mph. Car worked fine. I was told back in December to get a new battery but didn’t get one until my car wouldn’t turn on a few weeks ago. Then like I said last week my car shut off twice while idle. Radio and lights all on. Didn’t notice the first time until I pressed on gas. Would take out keys and car would restart fine. Yesterday my cars engine stopped while parked and didn’t start quite as fast. Would crank but nothing. Then 2 minutes later delayed crank and worked fine. I am taking my car to be dropped off and examined tomorrow. I took it for an oil change at an auto shop on Sunday and they seem to think it was either throttle or alternator. But then I called another shop and they think it’s more electrical and referred me to the place I’m taking it. Anyone else have this problem?
My neighbor had this same problem. Turns out her Catalytic Convertor was stopped up. New one and no more problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
With Sandstone on this one. Sometimes only a scanner that can capture live data can be of help. Drive it until it stalls again, then have them review the data immediately to see if something can be pinpointed.

As was also mentioned, very possible it's a failing cam or crank position sensor. When my crank position sensor began to fail on my Hemi Daytona, it had several odd symptoms, which sometimes included long crank/no start, but NO codes. I would pull/read codes right after, and NOTHING. It wasn't until it go to the point of almost total failure that it finally set a code, but by then it just confirmed what I already suspected, and was in near limp mode. It ran rough, but ran just well enough to get me home on the highway. If it does turn out to be either a cam or crank sensor, do yourself a favor and whether you do the work, an independent shop, or a dealer - use nothing but a factory Mopar part. Aftermarket cam/crank sensors have a habit of failing sometimes 12 - 18 months after replacement. Not worth saving a few $$ when you have to have it re-done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts