·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Jeep Patriot
What a lemon!
Issues:
21,792 miles
Steering wheel vibrating and knocking. Dealer found no issues.
57,922 miles
Bent rim, rear struts leaking, rear upper control arm bushings loose, right rear trailing arm bushing loose, right front inner tie rod loose, both outer tie rods loose.
$4,000
After service I asked the technician why I had all these issues. He stated it was my driving habits. I have been retired since 2015 and only use the car for trips to the grocery and hardware store!
I asked twice to be contacted by the service manager and never received a response. I then wrote to Daimler Chrysler about these issues and never received a response.
71,614 miles
Trailer wiring harness brake lights not working replace front brakes
Told TIPM needs replacing because of trailer light issue. $1,800 plus labor. I skipped the TPIM issue.
Does anyone else have so many issues? I found out after I bought the car that Jeeps are notorious for problems.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Bernie

·
Registered
389 Posts
Best bet is to ignore the issues and fix them once in a blue moon. Worked for me for 10 years.

·
Administrator
8,082 Posts
@Bernier, I'm not sure how the rim got bent, but I'd suspect that was the cause of the steering wheel knocking and shaking. The suspension issues you mentioned are not uncommon at that mileage, however $4000 seems steep, as does the $1800 for the TIPM. If I were in your situation, I'd think about getting a second opinion before shelling out that kind of money to a dealer.

Speaking of dealers, if you are having difficulties working with a dealer, you can send member @JeepCares a Private Message (conversations), explain your situation, and ask if there is anything they can do to help.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,432 Posts
That price seems high, but I don't know how deep your problems ran. I suggest geting a second opinion before doing repairs unless you know and trust the dealer. Dealers ought to do good work, but they have higher overhead and generally charge higher prices.

As for the bent rim, that required a pretty harsh hit. I've bent a couple rims in my life and I knew the instant it happened. A hit like that could certainly affect other suspension parts.

I got 4x your miles out of my 2008 Patriot with none of your issues. I think my suspension had no issues prior to 200,000 miles. I routinely drove it on roads that my Saturn couldn't handle. Admittedly my transmission was replaced twice, but that was under warranty so I can't complain about that.

Other than routine maintenance, my present Patriot (2014 / 180,000 miles) has only had a wheel bearing replaced.

You mentioned your trailer wiring. I don't know how a trailer could affect the TIPM unless there was a major problem with the trailer wiring that made the TIPM go on the fritz -- in that case it was the trailer's fault and not your Jeep's fault. My 2014 has a hitch and when I traced the problem to my Patriot and not my trailer, I went to U-Haul where I'd gotten the hitch. U-Haul fixed the wiring for free. In retrospect, my wiring may have been messed up when Wifey crunched the left rear tail-light requiring a new fender. I think the body shop didn't reattach the wiring connector correctly -- or at all. U-Haul was more familiar with it and knew their own work so spotting the problem was easy for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That price seems high, but I don't know how deep your problems ran. I suggest geting a second opinion before doing repairs unless you know and trust the dealer. Dealers ought to do good work, but they have higher overhead and generally charge higher prices.

As for the bent rim, that required a pretty harsh hit. I've bent a couple rims in my life and I knew the instant it happened. A hit like that could certainly affect other suspension parts.

I got 4x your miles out of my 2008 Patriot with none of your issues. I think my suspension had no issues prior to 200,000 miles. I routinely drove it on roads that my Saturn couldn't handle. Admittedly my transmission was replaced twice, but that was under warranty so I can't complain about that.

Other than routine maintenance, my present Patriot (2014 / 180,000 miles) has only had a wheel bearing replaced.

You mentioned your trailer wiring. I don't know how a trailer could affect the TIPM unless there was a major problem with the trailer wiring that made the TIPM go on the fritz -- in that case it was the trailer's fault and not your Jeep's fault. My 2014 has a hitch and when I traced the problem to my Patriot and not my trailer, I went to U-Haul where I'd gotten the hitch. U-Haul fixed the wiring for free. In retrospect, my wiring may have been messed up when Wifey crunched the left rear tail-light requiring a new fender. I think the body shop didn't reattach the wiring connector correctly -- or at all. U-Haul was more familiar with it and knew their own work so spotting the problem was easy for them.
The funny thing is I never hit anything that could have bent the rim!
I had actually went to a trailer place and they ended uP replacing all the wiring on the trailer. The wiring on my car was done at the dealer when I bought it new and worked fine for 5+ years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Bernier, I'm not sure how the rim got bent, but I'd suspect that was the cause of the steering wheel knocking and shaking. The suspension issues you mentioned are not uncommon at that mileage, however $4000 seems steep, as does the $1800 for the TIPM. If I were in your situation, I'd think about getting a second opinion before shelling out that kind of money to a dealer.

Speaking of dealers, if you are having difficulties working with a dealer, you can send member @JeepCares a Private Message (conversations), explain your situation, and ask if there is anything they can do to help.
I have never had suspension issues on any car I’ve ever owned at that low mileage. thats what made me suspicious.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
2015 Jeep Patriot
What a lemon!
Issues:
21,792 miles
57,922 miles
Bent rim, rear struts leaking, rear upper control arm bushings loose, right rear trailing arm bushing loose, right front inner tie rod loose, both outer tie rods loose.
$4,000
After service I asked the technician why I had all these issues. He stated it was my driving habits. I have been retired since 2015 and only use the car for trips to the grocery and hardware store!
I asked twice to be contacted by the service manager and never received a response. I then wrote to Daimler Chrysler about these issues and never received a response.
71,614 miles
Told TIPM needs replacing because of trailer light issue. $1,800 plus labor. I skipped the TPIM issue.
Does anyone else have so many issues? I found out after I bought the car that Jeeps are notorious for problems.
Bernie
Hello, Bernier. If you need some support while working with your dealership, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
11 Posts
2015 Jeep Patriot
What a lemon!
Issues:
21,792 miles
57,922 miles
$4,000
71,614 miles
Bernie
I replaced tie rods and rear shocks soon after warrantee. I did the rears myself. I have steel rims. I bent one going over an open manhole, hammered it back. Front struts still fine. OH the brakes [new calipers, discs and flush].

·
Registered
2016 Latitude 2x4, 5 speed manual
46 Posts
Best bet is to ignore the issues and fix them once in a blue moon. Worked for me for 10 years.
Complete opposite of this! Best bet is to take care of issues as they pop up but dont get ripped off. Seems like OP is paying way too much for repairs and his LEMON doesn't really seem all that LEMONIE to me. Letting issues pile up is just begging to get stranded somewhere. EXTENDED WARRENTEE! If you plan on keeping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts