Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2014 Patroit and I am thinking about a couple of changes. One being the steering wheel audio controls. Has anyone added the audio controls? I am wondering if the wiring is already there and just the buttons need to be purchased and plugged in. I found them for about $40 per side ($80 total). If it's an easy add on I would like to do it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
welcome !

have you ever had a car with the buttons?

i thought they would be great on ours......simply never use them.....but there will be people that use them all the time though..

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the wireing is there it wont be a simple plug and play. These jeeps are wired where it all runs through the can bus and you would have to have the buttons option truned on in the computer through starscan which as far as i know only the dealers can do. i had them on my truck and when i changed the radio the first time i got the swc and intergration kit through PAC and the module died in less then a year and sent the wrong resistance out and fried my ECM. In short not a hard Job but Not worth the extra money the dealer is going to charge you to starscan them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2012 Patriot, and mine didn't have steering controls. I ordered a leather wrapped 2014 steering wheel with controls off ebay and swapped out the wheel. Running a Pioneer DDin and Axcess ASWC to run the steering controls. No problems at all, programmed first shot, I also rewired the harness in the wheel so that volume is on the left hand side and changing the channels is on the right. Works great!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I know when I added stock fogs and added the new signal stock and wiring harness I still needed to go to the stealership to have them change the setting on the ECU with their starscan @ $60 for a 5 min job!!:wow:

·
2012 POTY
6,154 Posts
I know when I added stock fogs and added the new signal stock and wiring harness I still needed to go to the stealership to have them change the setting on the ECU with their starscan @ $60 for a 5 min job!!:wow:
SpaceJeep, when you added stock fogs did you notice by the chance that maybe your lights were already pre-wired? I was poking inside the engine bay and found a wiring harness zip tied to the headlight wiring with PS24W socket. It looks like the fog light harness. I hope it is already connected to the power source. I just bought a yellow stock fog lights and a new multifunctional switch hoping that will work once all put together and activated.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Patroit and I am thinking about a couple of changes. One being the steering wheel audio controls. Has anyone added the audio controls? I am wondering if the wiring is already there and just the buttons need to be purchased and plugged in. I found them for about $40 per side ($80 total). If it's an easy add on I would like to do it.
I have the audio controls on the steering wheel and still reach for the knobs on the dash... lol which are a whopping 5 inches away... lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's curious. I've never had to look into the programming of them before. Devine apparently got in done in one shot but I'd like to see what's involved in upgrading. My Patriot came with the steering wheel controls so I can't really say what you'll find when you go poking around. I was wondering about adding some other buttons that aren't there though and what's involved with the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the wireing is there it wont be a simple plug and play. These jeeps are wired where it all runs through the can bus and you would have to have the buttons option truned on in the computer through starscan which as far as i know only the dealers can do. i had them on my truck and when i changed the radio the first time i got the swc and intergration kit through PAC and the module died in less then a year and sent the wrong resistance out and fried my ECM. In short not a hard Job but Not worth the extra money the dealer is going to charge you to starscan them.
Saw this post just now. Ive been wondering this too. I want to add in a new stereo, and add in the steering wheel controls (at least continue to use mine), I was wondering if it's digital or analog for 2014.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm pretty sure that they're digital (but not 100% positive) since they connect to the Jeep's CAN bus. My aftermarket stereo included a CAN bus adapter, and one of the things it allows is use of the steering wheel controls. Also, my Jeep didn't come with steering wheel controls. I picked up a leather wrapped steering wheel with the controls on it from a local junk yard for $5. swapped the wheels and everything worked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts