Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm seeking advice/opinions on replacing the rear stabilizer bar links on my 2014 2wd Patriot due to severe rubber bushing cracks. My Pat has different links compared to my factory service manual as shown below:

My OEM links: ................................vs. ................................Service manual links ...........................................MOOG Problem Solver links
Camera accessory Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Font
Automotive tire Dumbbell Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Font Auto part Circle Gas

Remove/install advice sought:
  • Do this with suspension on ground or jacked up and wheels "hanging down"?
  • Any concerns about Spring "tension"/ injury?
  • Installation......what is nut tightening sequence? Tighten with wheels dangling or with weight of vehicle on suspension (car off lift)? I know "some" final suspension component tightening is supposed to be under load/weight conditions.
  • OEM vs. aftermarket (diminishing quality concerns). I'm considering OEM vs. MOOG Problem solvers. MOOG has poly bushings, which have pros/cons???? Opinions??
Thanks for advice/comments.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Been running the Moogs for a couple years now, no complaints. I believe they come with instructions on how to tighten them, it's something like tighten by hand and then use a wrench to tighten them a certain number of turns. I did them with the vehicle sitting on the ground.

·
Administrator
7,205 Posts
I've taken the links out both on a lift and on the ground.

If I were to do it again with no lift I would consider using a set of ramps to give extra clearance, but keep both wheels equal so there's no torque on the bar.

The hardest part was getting the rusted bolts out of the plastic spacers, they were stuck really tight even after a good soak with PB blaster.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gents. Regarding lifted or not, I was asking if it had to be lifted by the body/frame to allow the wheels and suspension to dangle freely vs. the suspension being compressed by the body sitting on the wheels. See pic below. Does that make sense? Wondering if there were some forces on the sway bar to be relieved, one way vs. another. It seems it does not matter, as long as both sides are sitting equally? Hopefully my annual Krown applications will have helped eliminate the rust seizing.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,772 Posts
I did mine rears on ramps, but fronts with both sides on jack stands. I don't think it really matters whether there's weight on the suspension or not, as long as both sides are the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts