Jeep Patriot Forums banner

2014 jeep patriot keeps overheating NEED HELP

21K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  mr_et2 
#1 ·
Hello my 2014 jeep patriot was overheating just past the middle line when idle. I replaced the 2 thermostats was fine for 2 weeks then did it again and I replaced the water pump.. now was fine for 3 days and is now getting hot while idle again seems to get hot when idle for more then 5 min then will adjust down to the middle line while driving but still running warm. I have not had any leaks so I really just don't no whats next... please help

#3 ·
Check that the front of the radiator isn't blocked or obstructed with dirt/leaves/etc. Check the fuse for the radiator and that nothing is blocking the fans. Without the key, check that the fans free spin.

Reactions: brittanyraposa
#7 ·
Check for continuity between the fans and the fuse with no power. If you have a power probe you can check if the ground is in good enough shape to accept enough current by powering it and seeing if it trips the internal breaker on your tool

#10 ·
I had the same problem when I replaced my thermostat and water pump it ended up fixing it. Because I keep noticing that my coolant kept leaking and it was leaving a puddle of coolant. So i would check your thermostat it’s located underneath the air filter house if above the transmission on the right side of the engine

#11 ·
Check your radiator. It sounds like you may have a bunch of channels clogged. Run the engine until you hear the fans turn on then shut the engine off. Run you hands along the entire radiator. It should be hot at the top then warm/hot down to the bottom reservoir. If you find cold spots that is where you clogs are. Had that happen to an 84 TC3. Kept overheating and warping the head though you couldn't tell if the engine was getting hot because back in those days you only got a CEL and no gauges. After several heads replaced (by the dealer) I got to poking around and ran my hands along the radiator. Low and behold halfway down the radiator it was ice cold. Replaced the radiator, and the problem was resolved. The dealer kept replacing the heads, cooling lines, water pumps, thermostats, and flushing the system but never thought of replacing the radiator.

#12 ·
I have a 2014 Pat also with the same problem. I have replaced the thermostat twice, water pump, radiator and upper hose that contains the filler cap(replaced that too). I did check that my fans do come on but I am not convinced they are pulling enough or coming on all the time. Short of replacing the fan unit can anybody think of anything else?

#13 ·
Get a scan tool that can read live data (such as a bluetooth ELM327 code reader and the Torque app) and check what the actual temp is. It's possible that the gauge is just reading a little high. Also, check the radiator/AC condenser fins. They could be clogged up with dirt/bug guts.

Also, welcome to the group.

#15 ·
Okay, I've had an overheating problem that comes and goes. I'm not sure the fans are working all the time or high enough. It got hot as soon as I stopped at work today. I popped the hood while it was running and both fans were running with ac on. I shut off the engine, and the fans did not continue to run. Shouldn't they? My overflow tank stays at the same level whether hot or cold. The temp sometimes goes higher than usual while driving, but not as much as when I'm not moving. Any ideas?

#17 ·
I would check the relays in the box that's down below the left headlight. The fan relays are in there, and that box is known for corrosion. Also, make sure that the fins on the radiator are not clogged/dirty. If that all checks out OK then I'd replace the thermostats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.