Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 jeep patriot with 132k miles and one day driving to work it was like I put it into neutral going down the road. I can go from park to drive and reverse and nothing happens. I never felt it ever slip or lurch. any ideas? I find it hard to believe the trans went out that fast.

·
7,691 Posts
Is it low on fluid? Classic symptom. Its been a long time since I had a Chrysler a/t -- I think it was my '78 Volare . . .

FYI I had a GM tranny go out on me around 50,000 miles. I lost reverse and a couple forward gears, but still had enough to struggle to the dealership. In my case some break-away point failed. Mechanic couldn't figure out why.

·
7,691 Posts
I am remiss. I see you're new so I should have welcomed you. So, Welcome! I hope the site is helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to by a dipstick and check. I would think if they weren't going to give you a way to check it they would at least put a dummy light on the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I checked fluid and all was fine. When I move it thru the gears I feel nothing like a lurch or it engaging anything. even of the torque converter is bad I should feel something right? or is that wrong?

·
Super Moderator
4,158 Posts
Do you know which transmission you have, CVT or 6 speed?

If you have the FWD with 2.0l engine or the Trail Rated/FDII then you would have the CVT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not tried to push it while in park, but when I move the shift knob I can see the linkage move what it is hooked to on the tranny. I wonder if that valve it moves can go bad

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have not tried to push it while in park, but when I move the shift knob I can see the linkage move what it is hooked to on the tranny. I wonder if that valve it moves can go bad
You might want to get under the vehicle with the E-brake on and car not running. Turn the key to on and not run. Have someone move the shifter through the gears and watch the linkages. Pull out on the linkage where it goes into the tranny to see if there is in and out movement. Also see if the shifter feels different while doing so. If not I am stumped. Is there a fluid pump in the tranny I wo set?

·
Registered
993 Posts
The factory service manual is not much help. Beyond stating that low fluid levels cause many transmission symptoms, it recommends a scan tool to find any transmission trouble codes in the TCM.

I would appreciate a follow up when the diagnosis is figured out. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I kinda ruled out the TRS because going thru the gears the dash shows when in drive, reverse ect. as far as getting under to check linkage is there a different linkage that shifts the trans other than the one that goes to the trans range sensor on the top of the transmision under the batter box.

·
Super Moderator
4,158 Posts
I kinda ruled out the TRS because going thru the gears the dash shows when in drive, reverse ect.....
Ok, wasn't aware of that.

The way it happened without warning, it seems to me like something electrical but that's just my gut feel.
If there are any codes, that might help narrow it down.

Aside from checking things like fuses, wiring, connectors, etc. I'm out of suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts