Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front windshield wiper is not working. There is no fuse in the fuse box. I have checked out the motor, it runs when you hot wire it to a battery. There is juice at the windshield wiper motor plug, but the motor is not moving. I have looked for a relay switch, but couldn't find one under the steering wheel console. Is there one anywhere else? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,054 Posts
My guess would be the multi-function switch on the column, the headlight/turn signal one. That's the "master" switch and the wiper switch runs through that.

·
Administrator
5,825 Posts
There's no fuse or relay for the wipers, they're driven directly by the TIPM.

You say there's power to the wiper motor plug when you turn the switch on but it doesn't move.

If you hot wire the wiper motor it works, so the TIPM may be bad, can't source enough current to drive the motor.

Try checking the connector on the TIPM for continuity and corrosion. Diagram below:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I remember long back I have a similar problem (super annoying and dangerous when it rains, obviously). I ended up replacing the multi-finction switch/lever (the one that comes from steering column) and that fixed issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember long back I have a similar problem (super annoying and dangerous when it rains, obviously). I ended up replacing the multi-finction switch/lever (the one that comes from steering column) and that fixed issue.
Thank you for your response. It is extremely thoughtful for you to give your knowledge to a confusing situation. There is no relay switch sold for the 2013 Patriot. It is ran through the TIPM, so I am told. The previous years and the following years they have the relay switches. So I guess the 2013 Patriot was an experiment and look what confusion it causes for people. I was thinking of buying the console wiper switch as the next step. Again thank you for your knowledge

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's no fuse or relay for the wipers, they're driven directly by the TIPM.

You say there's power to the wiper motor plug when you turn the switch on but it doesn't move.

If you hot wire the wiper motor it works, so the TIPM may be bad, can't source enough current to drive the motor.

Try checking the connector on the TIPM for continuity and corrosion. Diagram below:

View attachment 93240

View attachment 93239
Thanks for the info. Just the wiper function on the column switch not work. The washer pump and the rear wiper works. I believe it is the column switch, at least that is my next move, since you gave me the knowledge how I can have juice at the windshield motor plug, and the windshield motor will not work. Thanks for your help. It is very much appreciated.

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,513 Posts
Check the ground connection.
In the past on a different vehicle, Ive had to run a new ground wire at the wiper motor for it to start functioning again.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My front windshield wiper is not working. There is no fuse in the fuse box. I have checked out the motor, it runs when you hot wire it to a battery. There is juice at the windshield wiper motor plug, but the motor is not moving. I have looked for a relay switch, but couldn't find one under the steering wheel console. Is there one anywhere else? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe
Good afternoon, Joe. If you are still experiencing concerns with your windshield wiper that our team can look into, send us a private message. We would be happy to discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good afternoon, Joe. If you are still experiencing concerns with your windshield wiper that our team can look into, send us a private message. We would be happy to discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
After alot of trouble shooting and guessing I discovered the problem was the TIPM. It was with the input a several people on this form that I gained knowledge to figure out the repair. I tried to find more information from Jeep, but was not able to find out the problem. It is really disappointing that this vehicle has had numerous faulty parts. There was the input bearing for the transmission(58,000 miles) the alternator (about 60,000 miles), the electronic throttle body ( about 63,000 miles)and now the TIPM (at 64,000 miles) These are repairs for a car with less than 65,000 miles. I have replaced due to wear and tear the brakes, tires, and battery. I would consider this as a lemon and I will not buy another Jeep ever! The costliest repair was the transmission at $2,500 because it was after the warranty time. The Jeep company should support its vehicles with information for the consumer and help reduce costly repairs so that it can retain customers, including reducing the cost for repairs. Sincerely JoeinSacramento

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After alot of trouble shooting and guessing I discovered the problem was the TIPM. It was with the input a several people on this form that I gained knowledge to figure out the repair. I tried to find more information from Jeep, but was not able to find out the problem. It is really disappointing that this vehicle has had numerous faulty parts. There was the input bearing for the transmission(58,000 miles) the alternator (about 60,000 miles), the electronic throttle body ( about 63,000 miles)and now the TIPM (at 64,000 miles) These are repairs for a car with less than 65,000 miles. I have replaced due to wear and tear the brakes, tires, and battery. This is a 2013 Jeep and I would consider this as a lemon and I will not buy another Jeep ever! The costliest repair was the transmission at $2,500 because it was after the warranty time. The Jeep company should support its vehicles with information for the consumer and help reduce costly repairs so that it can retain customers, including reducing the cost for repairs. Sincerely JoeinSacramento

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
After alot of trouble shooting and guessing I discovered the problem was the TIPM. It was with the input a several people on this form that I gained knowledge to figure out the repair. I tried to find more information from Jeep, but was not able to find out the problem. It is really disappointing that this vehicle has had numerous faulty parts. There was the input bearing for the transmission(58,000 miles) the alternator (about 60,000 miles), the electronic throttle body ( about 63,000 miles)and now the TIPM (at 64,000 miles) These are repairs for a car with less than 65,000 miles. I have replaced due to wear and tear the brakes, tires, and battery. I would consider this as a lemon and I will not buy another Jeep ever! The costliest repair was the transmission at $2,500 because it was after the warranty time. The Jeep company should support its vehicles with information for the consumer and help reduce costly repairs so that it can retain customers, including reducing the cost for repairs. Sincerely JoeinSacramento
We appreciate the feedback, and are happy to hear you were able to pinpoint the cause of the concern, JoeinSacramento. Should you have any future concerns, we are a PM away.

Kate
Jeep Cares

1 - 15 of 15 Posts