Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2012 jeep patriot with relatively high miles. Just recently the temperature gage started sporadically going up and down so we checked the coolant and the coolant was almost completely gone. (I know for sure it was full about a month ago at the most.) Upon refilling the coolant, we have not seen anything leaking. Also, even with the coolant in the car the temperature gauge is varying all over the place. Additionally, I’ve noticed recently that after driving and the car gets hot, there is a sizzling sound coming from the front right hand side of the grill of the car. I am guessing this is where the coolant could be going? Any ideas on what this may be?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,397 Posts
Sounds like what was happening with my old '88 Thunderbird. In that case, it was a cracked head gasket that was pressurizing the cooling system and forcing the coolant to blow out of the radiator cap and overflow bottle, making a sizzling/hissing sound in the process. It also didn't really leave the tell-tale signs of a leak since the coolant was basically blowing out as a fine mist and evaporating.

Don't jump straight to thinking doom and gloom though, go get the cooling system pressure tested, or rent a tester from your local autoparts store and test it yourself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
A good step would be to check your oil. If there's water on the dipstick you're in trouble. Though I think more likely your radiator or a hose may have a hairline crack somewhere, as pressure in the system builds steam escapes and the temp will fluctuate due to the pressure changes.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,471 Posts
I suspect your problem is the head gasket. @mr_et2 and @Flamewave make good suggestions. A grungy dipstick and oil in the coolant are easy items to check. In any event the fluctuations in the temp are caused by the low coolant level -- the sensor just can't get a consistent read. Keep the coolant level up and get it to a shop before you do any more serious damage.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
We have a 2012 jeep patriot with relatively high miles. Just recently the temperature gage started sporadically going up and down so we checked the coolant and the coolant was almost completely gone. (I know for sure it was full about a month ago at the most.) Upon refilling the coolant, we have not seen anything leaking. Also, even with the coolant in the car the temperature gauge is varying all over the place. Additionally, I’ve noticed recently that after driving and the car gets hot, there is a sizzling sound coming from the front right hand side of the grill of the car. I am guessing this is where the coolant could be going? Any ideas on what this may be?
Hi, Hollyo. If you don't find the answers you're seeking from other forum members, we would suggest a dealership visit! If you need any support from our team while there, let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,471 Posts
Do not go to jeep dealership they are idiots
Sorry if you've had a bad experience with your dealer. I've dealt with probably a dozen different dealerships in my life and only ever had one bad experience. Quite to the contrary, I had one dealer that found a quick and easy fix instead of replacing my transmission. Another worked patiently to diagnose a recurring problem when I was ready to dump my Patriot -- instead it's still on the road, now over 300,000 miles.

There may be some dealers that press their customers for unneeded work, there may be some incompetent mechanics, and sometimes a well-intentioned mechanic gets it wrong. However, I think the people that get up in the morning and think Who can I cheat today? or who don't know which end of a screwdriver to use, are the exception and not the rule.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts