Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
8,198 Posts
OK, update: changed the rear tires to match the front + put in new sparkplugs. Coils were fine. The "kicking" is gone. There is a light whine still going on now and then and also the audible click when it goes into R from D but only after a long drive and I'm parking. Now I'm thinking the kicking I thought was unwanted gear changes might have been misfires or something. Still got what feels like sluggish performance. Thinking next I might get a fluid/filter on the transmission. Wondering if it's all a combo of neglect on the parts and they all need a "tune-up" so to speak. Will give it this week and see if the kicking comes back before deciding what to do next.
I feel kinda good that the tires may have solved your kicking problem. Tranny service is a good idea anytime -- sure can't hurt. As for sluggish performance, you realize these are only 2.4s and not V6s. My 2.0 really needs the lower gears when I'm in the mountains. I'm not usually first away from a light anyway. I came from a Pontiac 3.8 to the Patriot 2.4 and indeed there was a difference. The Pontiac engine was half-again bigger than the Patriot engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Yeah, I know I'm really comparing sluggish performance to when I first got it 4 years ago. Just did the pedal reset thing only let it sit for 5 minutes instead of 1 hr and either I'm crazy or it reset the acceleration responsiveness back to what I remember it being like!

I wish I'd done the tires then driven, and plugs then driven, so I know which one it was. But either way I'm glad one seemed to have solved the kicking thing. I was convinced I was up for a $3-5k Tranny replacement.

·
8,198 Posts
Yeah, I know I'm really comparing sluggish performance to when I first got it 4 years ago. Just did the pedal reset thing only let it sit for 5 minutes instead of 1 hr and either I'm crazy or it reset the acceleration responsiveness back to what I remember it being like!

I wish I'd done the tires then driven, and plugs then driven, so I know which one it was. But either way I'm glad one seemed to have solved the kicking thing. I was convinced I was up for a $3-5k Tranny replacement.
We like good news! :)

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
120 Posts
In some way people think they never have to adjust their valve clearance.
YOU DO.
Yes the s will effect performance.
Check you're compression on each cilinder. It's only 10 minutes work and gives you a lot of info about the state of you're engine.
It has to be 10,5:1 and evenly on all 4.
The whining can come from a slip/clutch on the dynamo.
Take a long piece of metal
Start the engine and put the metal on different parts.
Put you're ear on the end and listen.
That's the only way to exclude different components.

·
8,198 Posts
Take a long piece of metal
Start the engine and put the metal on different parts.
Put you're ear on the end and listen.
That's the only way to exclude different components.
Nice post. My Dad taught me to do that and frankly I'd forgotten that trick. It certainly helps to localize a problem.. He would use an oversized screwdriver with a shaft long enough to avoid danger and put His ear on the large plastic handle so it was (relatively) comfortable. The big difference between Dad and I doing this is that He knew what He was hearing and what the sounds meant -- I just hear the noises. :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could be a throttle body maybe? Mine would kind of shift rough or kick and I didn’t have any lights or codes thrown and my jeep has about 40k.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot MK74 4x4 with 2.5" lift
20 Posts
Hi everyone. I wanted to ask a question, if perhaps anyone has had the same issues.

2012 Patriot Latitude, has been doing an odd "kicking" thing when pulling off from a red light, or sometimes when cruising and accelerating lightly. Each time I've noticed the revs are about 1500-2000 when it does it. It's been getting slowly worse over about a year. 104000 miles on the clock.

Took it to a transmission guy, and he said I need a new transmission at $5000. Another repair shop quotes $3000 for a rebuilt one. If I shift manually, it goes away 99%. It kicked it once, when cruising at 50mph and the revs were again at 1500. Does not do it when cold, only when hot. If I drive in auto mode, it does it all the time between 20-35mph, and is annoying/loss of power also, but in manual mode I can drive it clean and smooth and pick up fast.

Jeep dealership said it's out of warranty.

A few weeks ago, the indicators stopped working, then started again, which I think was an electrical thing. Hasn't returned.

A few questions: could this be transmission (ie. needing a new one) or could it be electrical controlling the CVT? Would it be normal for the automatic transmission kicking to go away when I shift manually?

Any insights or advice would be appreciated!
Use the manual shift reteach the computer system the shift points you wish to use. this started happening to me when I was living in Trussville and the traffic is so stop go stop go that it started to get a hesitation from light throttle application. Also check the spark plug coils.

·
Registered
235 Posts
wish I'd done the tires then driven, and plugs then driven, so I know which one it was.
My money is on the plugs. I have a '14 and about 60k I started experiencing a stutter occasionally that got worse as it got hotter. Only at low to mid RPM. I was completely convinced my transmission was going bad. Changed fluids, reset ECU, searched junkyards for used trannys, prayed. I could not afford a new tranny and needed my vehicle! Finally someone here had posted to try changing plugs and not go buying splitfires or platinums, just good quality copper core plugs. Twenty minutes and $12 and solved. Now I just change the plugs every 40k.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot Limited 2.4L 6spd
7 Posts
I had the exact same issues, I exact except I have a 6 speed automatic not a CVT.
Funny I had the exact same things told to me, needs new transmission, tires aren't great, etc....
All I did after checking things on the old web was put new old style copper plugs in.
Problem fixed, you gotta change the plugs every 30,000 to 35,000 miles and my experience was the old style cheaper copper plugs were the better fix.
I tried the fancier more expensive iridium plugs and noticed a loss of power especially on takeoff from standstill so I went back and the autozone guys thought I was nuts wanting copper plugs but she runs like new now and at 178,000 on the 2.4 that's great news to me.
All for about $12.00 of spark plugs, amazing how those can make such a difference.
My mechanic swore it was the transmission and is even more shocked than I was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I still can't believe it. When I posted this thread I was dead sure I was looking down the barrel of a $5000 fix. Two transmission shops, a general mechanic shop, my tire guy (Firestone) and family "mechanics" all said new transmission. Spent $350 on tires and plugs the main problem fixed and now it just seems to be in need of some tune-up/maintenance adjustments, so getting onto those next.

·
8,198 Posts
Most mechanics prefer to charge you $5000 for a tranny instead of $500 for tires and especially not $20 for plugs, that you can do yourself for half that.

I wonder how many people have replaced their transmissions needlessly? They replace the tranny and still have problems, dump their Patriot calling it a pile of junk. Someone else comes along, buys it, changes the plugs, and their as happy as a clam!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I HAVE 2013 PAT 39,000 MI. FOUND SPARK PLUG ISSUE REPAIR ON U TUBE. CHANGE PLUGS EVERY 30,000 MILES. DISCOLOR OF PLUGS USE NGK GAP 42 AUTO ZONE

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OK another update: New tires and plugs fixed the "kicking" and I just got around to draining/replacing fluids/filter on the transmission - all good no metal glitter of anything, and now has smoother performance. I narrowed down the "rattling" thing to fuel detonation. I was using 87, so upped it to 91 to see what happens. So far no difference, but it's only been a day. The "whine" is the power steering pump getting louder so may need to look at doing that next. Any suggestions for the fuel knock thing? It's mild, but does it whenever I pick up speed off the stop or sometimes lightly pressing the accelerator when cruising at speed.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts