Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. I am having some issues with my 2012 jeep patriot. It has 131,000 miles and I bought it used a few moths ago. It just recently threw a check engine light with the following codes: P0506, P0730 & P0777.

AAMCO diagnostic provided the following description:

PO730 Bank 1 Incorrect gear ratio

P0730 bank 2 incorrect gear ratio

PO777 Bank 3 secondary pressure solenoid stuck on

PO506 Idle speed performance slower than expected.

The car will not go over 15mph intermittently, if I start the car up dead cold it seems like it is ok. But after driving about two miles it goes back to not being able to go over 15mph; & eventually slowly creeps to 0mph. the cruise control has also never worked. Not sure if this is related… I have bought a dipstick to check the transmission fluid and it looks like it is full.

If I turn it off & back on, it’ll work once more for about another two miles.

It is the patriot latitude, 4x4 with the CVT transmission I believe…

Any thought or items to troubleshoot? Bad speed sensor? Hopefully it’s an easy fix. I took the car to AAMCO and they told me the trans is bad and wanted $5,000 to replace but I don’t trust them…. Do you think I am better off taking it to a jeep dealer? It sounds like to me it may be an solenoid in the trans…

Any help or suggestions are welcome

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
You should start with changing cvt trans fluid and filters especially cooler return filter. There are threads on here that show how to with photos.

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
I don't know if the p0506 error is related to the transmission codes or not, but it might be an easy fix (see below).

The transmission issues are likely not an easy fix.

As EW mentioned, regular fluid changes are very important to keeping these things going.

If the trans fluid is black like used motor oil, it may have never been changed and consequently there may be valve body wear or other mechanical issues because of it.

If the fluid is clean, someone may have changed it to solve the problem you're having, and when it didn't work, and they traded it off.

I don't know if you need another trans or not, but from what I've seen here you should be able to get a replacement for between $3k-$4k. I would definitely shop around.

The transmission error codes are both related to parts of the valve body, so it might be a valve body all that's needed but I can't say for sure. I've added what info I have on it below, you can read through it and see what you think or discuss it with your shop. Maybe they can do some tests to narrow it down.

I do recall someone here replacing the valve body themselves. I can't find the post, but if memory serves they got a valve body off ebay, swapped the eprom from the old valve body to the new one, installed the new one with fresh fluid, and it apparently worked; though I don't know for how long.

Here's the ebay link:

Hope this helps.

==============

Transmission codes:

P0730 ---- Stepper Motor

P0777 - Secondary Pulley Pressure

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Sandstone, my 2012 Jeep Patriot latitude 2.4 cvt is having similar issues. Just purchased it this past September 2019, actually, I traded my 99 F-150 lightning for it, the problems started about 2 weeks into owning it, it would “lag” getting up to speed, then once I was going a steady speed it was ok, then it was idling kinda funny, like it was starting to stall out, then would be ok, or when I’d start driving I’d press all the down on the accelerator and it would slowly increase in RPM’s, then as I was driving and going @40 mph, the engine shut down completely, I pulled the Jeep to the side of the road, I could start the engine and put into different gears but it would not move. Now it’s been 3 months and I’ve only had someone change the output shaft speed sensor (whom is not very mechanically inclined) and before I had him replace the sensor, I researched where the sensor is located, so as he’s looking for it under the hood I was trying to explain where it was according to this forum and pics I’ve reviewed, he didn’t wanna hear it, he can’t take advice from “a woman” and I’m almost certain he replaced the wrong sensor. Whatever he replaced was all the way to the back of the engine and underneath everything, if you’re standing in front of the Jeep, it was straight back, then straight down, but what I’ve researched, it said the sensor is right behind the engine and would be kinda facing the back of the engine. Am I close? My Jeep is throwing these codes,
PO777-Pressure control solenoid B stuck on
And PO171-Fuel system 1/1 lean system too lean (bank 1)
PO722-no signal output speed sensor.
I’ve done the soft reset by turning the ignition to on, not running, pressed the accelerator slowly 3 times, turn off then starting it up, it will clear the lightning bolt and check engine lights but when I put it into Reverse, Neutral or Drive, the engine starts to lag to where I can barely hear the engine running, and want to stall out, then I putit back into park and it gets better and the RPM’s will increase if I press the accelerator. I’ve been told to change the spark plugs, check for loose wiring, change the throttle body and even that the transmission is shot and would be a $5,000 fix. From what I’ve researched it doesn’t seem like it’s a blown transmission, I can feel it bumping into gear when I change gears and I can hear it, the tranny fluid is a light reddish color with no metal shavings and no burnt color to it. Where should I start first? I’m on SSI and can’t afford to fix something that may not be the issue if I don’t have to, I’m trying to do the work myself, I’ll change the spark plugs, figure out how to do a flush, and I may be able to change the throttle body if needed, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Jackie

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
There's one more thing that I needed to mention that can cause gear ratio and solenoid error codes, and that's the pump flow control valve inside the pump. (vid below).

Jackie, I could be wrong but does sound like the transmission has a serious problem. My advice would be to find a shop that's competent in CVT repair and discuss the matter with them, otherwise you may end up spending a lot of time and money replacing things and get nowhere.

If you don't know of a shop in your area, you can try calling ATSG and see if they can recommend one, or you can ask them if they can help you troubleshoot over the phone, at least far enough to know if it's something you can fix on your own or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ll call Greenwood in Cortland Ohio tmw, they’ve been great to me in the past, and gave me a quote last week of $100 to run a diagnostics on it. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently (December) had similar problems with my 2010 Jeep Patriot Latitude, 176,000 miles: after driving 70MPH on the freeway for about 45 minutes the RPM's would suddenly go to over 5K and the speed would keep dropping until it was at about 30-35MPH. First time to dealership they suggested replacing the Electronic Throttle Control ($800). They weren't SURE that would handle the problem -- that it MIGHT be the transmission -- but they thought it best to do that, since the diagnostic showed an issue with it. Worked for about 3 weeks and started doing it again. This time, the dealership said the diagnostic indicated transmission failure -- a common problem with this model (common enough that a review of RepairPal.com showed over 800 Patriots with a similar transmission failure.) Took it to a second dealership for analysis: same result. Dealers wanted $5,000+ to replace the transmission (apparently it's not repairable.) I did some research online and bought one with 35,000 miles on it and a one-year warrantee -- installed by mechanic and out the door for $3,200. (which doubles my car payment now.) Here's the kicker: my mechanic had to have the car taken back to a dealership for them to reset the computer because it's a proprietary function of the computer. Another $150 -- plus tow truck. Needless to say, I am NOT a happy camper with Jeep/Chrysler. The LEAST the "trusted" dealer (that I bought it from) could have done is warn me this was a common problem with this model. Given the class-action suit for a similar issue with the Cherokee, I'm surprised there hasn't been a class-action suit for this as well. Not cool, Jeep; not cool.

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
Fluid and filter change at regular intervals would STOP many of these ongoing problems to begin with. IMO...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sandstone, my 2012 Jeep Patriot latitude 2.4 cvt is having similar issues. Just purchased it this past September 2019, actually, I traded my 99 F-150 lightning for it, the problems started about 2 weeks into owning it, it would “lag” getting up to speed, then once I was going a steady speed it was ok, then it was idling kinda funny, like it was starting to stall out, then would be ok, or when I’d start driving I’d press all the down on the accelerator and it would slowly increase in RPM’s, then as I was driving and going @40 mph, the engine shut down completely, I pulled the Jeep to the side of the road, I could start the engine and put into different gears but it would not move. Now it’s been 3 months and I’ve only had someone change the output shaft speed sensor (whom is not very mechanically inclined) and before I had him replace the sensor, I researched where the sensor is located, so as he’s looking for it under the hood I was trying to explain where it was according to this forum and pics I’ve reviewed, he didn’t wanna hear it, he can’t take advice from “a woman” and I’m almost certain he replaced the wrong sensor. Whatever he replaced was all the way to the back of the engine and underneath everything, if you’re standing in front of the Jeep, it was straight back, then straight down, but what I’ve researched, it said the sensor is right behind the engine and would be kinda facing the back of the engine. Am I close? My Jeep is throwing these codes,
I’ve done the soft reset by turning the ignition to on, not running, pressed the accelerator slowly 3 times, turn off then starting it up, it will clear the lightning bolt and check engine lights but when I put it into Reverse, Neutral or Drive, the engine starts to lag to where I can barely hear the engine running, and want to stall out, then I putit back into park and it gets better and the RPM’s will increase if I press the accelerator. I’ve been told to change the spark plugs, check for loose wiring, change the throttle body and even that the transmission is shot and would be a $5,000 fix. From what I’ve researched it doesn’t seem like it’s a blown transmission, I can feel it bumping into gear when I change gears and I can hear it, the tranny fluid is a light reddish color with no metal shavings and no burnt color to it. Where should I start first? I’m on SSI and can’t afford to fix something that may not be the issue if I don’t have to, I’m trying to do the work myself, I’ll change the spark plugs, figure out how to do a flush, and I may be able to change the throttle body if needed, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Jackie
What was the issue??

·
Registered
2009 Jeep Patriot 4wd 2.4L 180,000 miles
1 Posts
I recently (December) had similar problems with my 2010 Jeep Patriot Latitude, 176,000 miles: after driving 70MPH on the freeway for about 45 minutes the RPM's would suddenly go to over 5K and the speed would keep dropping until it was at about 30-35MPH. First time to dealership they suggested replacing the Electronic Throttle Control ($800). They weren't SURE that would handle the problem -- that it MIGHT be the transmission -- but they thought it best to do that, since the diagnostic showed an issue with it. Worked for about 3 weeks and started doing it again. This time, the dealership said the diagnostic indicated transmission failure -- a common problem with this model (common enough that a review of RepairPal.com showed over 800 Patriots with a similar transmission failure.) Took it to a second dealership for analysis: same result. Dealers wanted $5,000+ to replace the transmission (apparently it's not repairable.) I did some research online and bought one with 35,000 miles on it and a one-year warrantee -- installed by mechanic and out the door for $3,200. (which doubles my car payment now.) Here's the kicker: my mechanic had to have the car taken back to a dealership for them to reset the computer because it's a proprietary function of the computer. Another $150 -- plus tow truck. Needless to say, I am NOT a happy camper with Jeep/Chrysler. The LEAST the "trusted" dealer (that I bought it from) could have done is warn me this was a common problem with this model. Given the class-action suit for a similar issue with the Cherokee, I'm surprised there hasn't been a class-action suit for this as well. Not cool, Jeep; not cool.
Yeah i have a 2009. Currently its giving me the p0777... But i had a problem with the "OverRev and OverHeat" issue too. What a piece of trash. The suspension is BS that cant last 6 months without New Control Arms and Bushings...the transmission wont go over 60 without Overheating... I had to finally Self Install a Big A** Trans Line Cooler in front of the Radiator and replaced BOTH the Upper (under the Battery... Great Engineering On the Heatsink BTW... But buddy... That aint enough.) AND Lower transmission filters which solved it temporarily. And i did that every 50K miles. So changing your fluid isn't the final solution. It DOES help. But... The main issue is the weak a** Torque Converter in it. That motor has ALL KINDS of Power... And this transmission was NEVER engineered to be in a vehicle this heavy. Chrysler was just Too Damn Cheep to spring for the GOOD parts... You know... The RIGHT ones for the Job. If there's a Class Action... Pop a Link because Ill join it. Nothing but Problems from Day 1. Thanks FIAT. (i Heard...that . Fiat owns Chrysler Dodge Jeep... Or something like that... And it shows... If i knew i was paying $24000 for a Glorified YUGO... I would have just bought a BuM a Welder and some Sheet Metal and a Vtwin from harbor freight and had him mount that on a GoCart...) I was gonna say Chrysler dropped the ball on this one... But honestly, i cant remember them Actually "Having" the ball to nevin with...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jackie
Hi Jackie,
My 2012 is doing something similar, actually today on my way to work! The traction control warning was flashing first, then 4WD! started flashing, just wouldn't GET up and go, like it was going to stall. Pulled over and shut it off. Restarted and all same, though now ABS light has joined the mix. I'm trying not to panic and see if I can limp it to the local guy about a mile from me (he's good, not a rip off) after work and pray he's there to at least see what codes it's throwing. I've only had it since April, previous owner kept it up well with fluid changes, cabin filters, etc., has 128K on it now.
Hopefully your issue was solved and not super expensive- also on seriously limited income. I have like $13 until next pay, LOL. I'll be paying my aunt back for this Jeep for about 20 years. I really don't want it to be toast now!!
**ETA - Not sure if this makes a difference, but it's been raining and super humid for the past five to six days here. Conditions like that did make my 2003 Chrysler Grand Caravan act up, but went away with dry weather, never threw a code or warning lights on. Just FYI.

What was the outcome of yours?
Thanks!
Angela

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
Hi Jackie,
My 2012 is doing something similar, actually today on my way to work! The traction control warning was flashing first, then 4WD! started flashing, just wouldn't GET up and go, like it was going to stall. Pulled over and shut it off. Restarted and all same, though now ABS light has joined the mix.........
Sounds more like a problem with a wheel speed sensor / connector / wiring than a transmission issue.

Be interesting to know what error codes are coming up, let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,397 Posts
I agree with Sandstone

·
Super Moderator
8,817 Posts
"Put the butter where the bread is!" If the ABS light is on, it's probably the ABS system. At best it's a bad sensor; at worst it's a good sensor telling you there's something wrong with that wheel.

A failing tranny will whine, scream, hum, or slip. You haven't mentioned any of those things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts