Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
That sucks about your Jeep. I'll have to check mine, although I have an exhaust tip that I believe will keep the muffler from getting pushed up. On a side note, I'd be pretty pissed if someone randomly walked up to my Jeep while it was parked and pressed the exhaust up behind the bumper..... just sayin'

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeep was unaware of this issue and tried blaming me for driving it over something.

I hope they are starting to know my name at this point.

Since my life was threatened by this flaw I would have expected Chrysler LLC to handle business.

Thanks for the comment.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I don't know how pushing the exhaust up in other vehicles, and possibly putting other people at risk, is beneficial to anyone. It is unfortunate, but the way recalls work is pretty simple. Would it cost Jeep more to recall the product and fix the problem on every Jeep or face the liability for not doing so. Since this problem appears to be pretty rare, in that we now have one reported case, I'd say the recall isn't going to happen.

Keep pushing for warranty repair and get an attorney. Altering your vehicle without your permission in an attempt to cover a flaw could well be enough to cover your loss and the trouble you've had.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Now I'm curious, what is your ultimate goal? Your name implies some pretty strong sentiments. It seems to me if the goal was to inform, you may have skipped over some formalities... How about some introduction, or some back story, or even some basic dialogue. Since a lot of the people around here have actually done some off-roading and have never heard of anything like this I'm just wondering if it isn't a case of Jewish lightning...

No way he's going to give us any details on what he was doing to cause this. But it's just a typical exhaust hanger. Almost every car on the road has that same system. And that was not a fire. That was melted. Certainly doesn't seem as dangerous as you made it seem.

It upsets me when people only come around to complain. Maybe it's late and I'm overreacting. But you wanted comments. Shalom to the forum's...

·
Registered
454 Posts
yup putting yer hands on someone else's vehicle, much less moving around their muffler, just aint right, very uncool

but big kudos for pointing out something I don't think anyone here has heard of, sorry you learned about it the hard way. That is something an offroad vehicle definitely should not do.

Im curious if the muffler can be pushed up by contact on its lower points rather than the exhaust. And curious if you know how you managed to get your's knocked upward

Any i suspect anyone that goes offroad is going to be interested in whether this effects different year models... gonna check mine in the next couple of days

and curious to hear what happens regarding the dealer's unauthorized repair

Jewish lightning...

Shalom to the forum's...
and, WTF?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Safety should be the issue. Continuing to sell Patriots with this known issue and not warning the consumer isn't the way I would handle this issue. If I were Doug Betts I would change the design for future builds, fix the unsold units, slowly repair the sold units through TSB's.

For me, my goal would never be to fix the burnt Jeep under warranty and return a 4000 mile diminished value car to its owner.

A full refund, compensation for loss of use, apology for blaming the consumer for a Chrysler LLC mistake sounds reasonable.

Considering this jeep has sat for 27 days at a dealership and Jeep was wanting to just replace the bumper and not fix the hanger issue nor alert anyone of these findings I really am upset.

Alerting the other owners of this problem should be greatly appreciated and may save lives.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Encouraging people to test your finding on "every Patriot they see" is irresponsible. If I saw you reaching under my Jeep and tampering with it you would get your head kicked in. That would be one more injury than this this "defect" has caused.

Since you do not give any details about the "fire" I will reserve judgement about your reported defect until you supply some details rather than dramatics.

You do not specify what steps you took before starting an internet campaign.

I am also p*ssed because you spammed a popular thread to get your five posts so you could post your video. You could have used those posts to tell your story in detail and then posted the video. Visitors who ignore things such as simple politeness are not usually received well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Details. Short version. Bought new jeep for wife. Loved jeep. Oil leak at 3500 miles. Gasket ordered at oil change. Gasket in jeep fixed. Three days later, first time I am driving since gasket replaced. Exhaust tone sounds different so I look under it. Bumper is dripping plastic with blue flame. Dealer a mile from us do we drop it off. Get loaner. Service questions us about driving over curbs, speed bumps, or backing into trailer hitch? I visit to pick up belongings out of jeep and service person shows me hanger issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My apologies if I didn't introduce myself proper.
I am the little guy that wants chrysler to accept responsibility for a mistake.
I first posted a video that was blocked on Facebook so I wasn't sure of I would be blocked here immediately or how much time I had.

My hope is to not have anyone injured because of this defect.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
My apologies if I didn't introduce myself proper.
I am the little guy that wants chrysler to accept responsibility for a mistake.
I first posted a video that was blocked on Facebook so I wasn't sure of I would be blocked here immediately or how much time I had.

My hope is to not have anyone injured because of this defect.
Thanks for the heads up and showing clearly how to reproduce the problem in the video. I'll keep an eye out for it

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our jeep has been at the dealer for 27 days as we patiently waited. Chrysler offered to replace bumper but not fix the exhaust hanger. When I asked about alerting other owners so that this doesn't happen again I was told it isn't an issue. That was unacceptable to my family, I wish that things would be different and that I could have kept my silence.

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup putting yer hands on someone else's vehicle, much less moving around their muffler, just aint right, very uncool

but big kudos for pointing out something I don't think anyone here has heard of, sorry you learned about it the hard way. That is something an offroad vehicle definitely should not do.

Im curious if the muffler can be pushed up by contact on its lower points rather than the exhaust. And curious if you know how you managed to get your's knocked upward

Any i suspect anyone that goes offroad is going to be interested in whether this effects different year models... gonna check mine in the next couple of days

and curious to hear what happens regarding the dealer's unauthorized repair

and, WTF?
I am assuming the tech that did the pan gasket replacement bumped it up. We didn't have it off road, and no damaged appeared on the muffler.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Encouraging people to test your finding on "every Patriot they see" is irresponsible. If I saw you reaching under my Jeep and tampering with it you would get your head kicked in. That would be one more injury than this this "defect" has caused.

Since you do not give any details about the "fire" I will reserve judgement about your reported defect until you supply some details rather than dramatics.

You do not specify what steps you took before starting an internet campaign.

I am also p*ssed because you spammed a popular thread to get your five posts so you could post your video. You could have used those posts to tell your story in detail and then posted the video. Visitors who ignore things such as simple politeness are not usually received well.
The fire was limited to the rear bumper. Two exhaust sized openings were melted into the bumper, the rear foam under the bumper melted and warped the bumper on the exhaust side. It had a blue low flame around the openings that went out by itself after shutting the Jeep off. Regardless the exhaust on a 4x4 vehicle shouldn't push up and stay and melt burn catch fire.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
It's a bit unrelated, but why not post here? You may be happy with Ford as they seem willing to recall:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost-ute.aspx?post=77165e4a-3319-4b0b-b05c-db978eb13f2f&icid=autos_3448

Ford is recalling the 2013 Escape to fix engine plugs that could leak coolant, according to a filing Tuesday with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. It's the third time the new Escape has been recalled since it went on sale earlier this year.

In August, a Nashville Ford dealer reported an underhood fire on a 2013 Escape during a test drive when an engine cylinder head cup plug came loose. The cup plugs keep coolant from flowing out of the engine's external cooling jacket, and typically pop out only if the coolant freezes and expand. However, in this instance and a similar problem Ford found in July, the plug simply loosened, causing coolant to leak and catch fire when the glycol in the coolant contacted the overheated engine.

Ford is recalling only models with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost engine, which was recalled in July for fuel lines that could split and leak gasoline. Ford says 6,146 vehicles with that engine will be recalled in the U.S., out of about 7,600 worldwide. Dealers will seal the plug and fit a cap on top beginning Sept. 10. Owners can contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332.

Also in July, Ford recalled nearly all 2013 Escape crossovers for carpet padding that could interfere with the driver's use of the brake pedal. During that month, Ford recalled nearly 485,000 Escape SUVs from 2001-2004 after NHTSA received 99 owner complaints -- including the report of a fatal crash in January -- of throttles not returning to idle when the gas pedal was released.

[Source: NHTSA]
Yikes

·
an odd member
2,196 Posts
I have to be skeptical here.

1: I have had the back of my jeep literally sit down on my exhaust while pulling through a ditch. And it maintained height with no problem. So the thought of a service tech bumping it and altering the angle is hard for me to believe.

2: your muffler does get hot and yes it could melt plastic. But it resulting in a flame is highly unlikely. Especially a blue flame.

Why you ask?
1- plastic doesn't burn well. It kinda melts and then thats it, unless you have an open flame. It is, however, very detrimental because of its melting factor and that it sticks to you. Etc

2: blue flames range from around 2,000 F to 2,600 F on average. Our exhaust ranges from 1,000-1,600 F. Unless you had an accelerant on your plastic there's no real reason for it catch fire. I didn't say it wouldn't melt. Plastic doesn't burn the same way as wood. The plastic used on the jeeps is thicker. Therefore will burn less.

So I'm sorry. I can't say that I'm just gonna hop on the new band wagon to make this issue recall worthy. I am sorry if this is what truly happened to you, and I'm glad you are safe.

This is the video

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

don't know why it posted twice

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
hard for me to see,
but is that stock exhaust? or has it been modified,
i have a 2007 not a 2012,
i dont ever recall my exhaust tip being chrome, it is just as rusted as
also my tip is angled down with a flat tip,
can others with '12 verify their exhaust is same?
i have bottomed out the Pat many times, dont think it ever managed to hit the muffler,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to be skeptical here.

1: I have had the back of my jeep literally sit down on my exhaust while pulling through a ditch. And it maintained height with no problem. So the thought of a service tech bumping it and altering the angle is hard for me to believe.

2: your muffler does get hot and yes it could melt plastic. But it resulting in a flame is highly unlikely. Especially a blue flame.

Why you ask?
1- plastic doesn't burn well. It kinda melts and then thats it, unless you have an open flame. It is, however, very detrimental because of its melting factor and that it sticks to you. Etc

2: blue flames range from around 2,000 F to 2,600 F on average. Our exhaust ranges from 1,000-1,600 F. Unless you had an accelerant on your plastic there's no real reason for it catch fire. I didn't say it wouldn't melt. Plastic doesn't burn the same way as wood. The plastic used on the jeeps is thicker. Therefore will burn less.

So I'm sorry. I can't say that I'm just gonna hop on the new band wagon to make this issue recall worthy. I am sorry if this is what truly happened to you, and I'm glad you are safe.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I again am no fire expert nor do I claim to be. I am assuming part of the foam behind the bumper was what was burning dripping. Jeep investigators said since the vehicle was driven 300 miles over 3 days it should of burned worse. Lots of short trips were made prior to me driving my wife's jeep and noticing the exhaust note change. Regardless of your opinion as to fire possibilities this is not a safe vehicle. Since the fuel tank is near I assume gas ignites at a lower temp than plastic. I feel lucky to have poked my head under and finding the dripping melting burning bumper.

1 - 20 of 354 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.