Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC started out not working when idling, now it don't work at all. I have let it sit and idle for 30 or more minutes with temps in the 90's and neither the engine or AC fans came on. Also the temp gauge stayed at the half way mark and it didn't seem to be over heating. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sounds like you're leaking refrigerant. If the refrigerant pressure drops then it will prevent the system from coming on. Also, idling for 30 minutes should have had at least one of the fans spinning. Check the fan relays in the relay box that's below the left headlight. The relays and connectors in there are known to corrode and cause all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of both of those today and was having a hard time trying to get that relay box open. I worked on it for about 30 min to no avail, then it started raining. I'm gonna try again tomorrow and will put a set of manifold gauges on the AC, although I don't really know what pressures I'm looking for since the compressor does not engage.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm not sure where the pressure switch is... I know someone's posted its location previously in another thread, but you should be able to unplug it, then put a jumper on the pins of the connector to get the compressor to come on. Might also check the AC fuse, but my guess is that you've got a leak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sandstone

I have tested all 3 relays and they all work. I can't seem to find a diagram for the fan circuit so I can check and locate the ground. Is there a way to check the fans to see if they work?

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Here's the fan circuit diagram circa 2014, however the older manual (2008) shows the fan ground at G111 (diagram below). You'll need a bi-directional scanner or a software app to toggle the fan outputs from the TIPM. Sorry I don't have better info:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sandstone, Thanks for the diagrams, I'm still trying to chase down the fan problem. I think it has to be on the control side somewhere, because I unplugged the temp sensor and both fans started working, but I get an electrical warning light on the dash. So, I'm afraid if I leave it unplugged it will cause some other problem.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
287 Posts
Do the fans spin freely with no power? Are you sure that the fans themselves are good? Can you find a way to supply 12v directly to the fan and see if they even spin?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts