Jeep Patriot Forums banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,136 Posts
I'm with todde702 on the solid lifter/mechanical valve thing. They're all noisier than hydraulics. As for the noise, it also means the valves are closing all the way. My Dad says, "Better to hear 'em than smell 'em."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Notice the noise as well. Going to try and switch to a thinner oil and see if that helps it out as it has for others...Has anyone else noticed that at higher speeds there is a slight almost reverberation coming from the front end as well? Around 60mph/100kmh? I noticed this last week on a road trip. Really bad around 110km/h. (don't know what that is in miles...65? 70?)

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,136 Posts
Notice the noise as well. Going to try and switch to a thinner oil and see if that helps it out as it has for others...Has anyone else noticed that at higher speeds there is a slight almost reverberation coming from the front end as well? Around 60mph/100kmh? I noticed this last week on a road trip. Really bad around 110km/h. (don't know what that is in miles...65? 70?)
I'd bet the vibration is a tire problem or something else suspension related. If you're sure its coming from the engine it could be a bad belt.

I wouldn't mess with the oil, or if you do, try STP or some such oil treatment. Thinner oil could void your warranty; thicker oil could cause starting problems if you live in a colder climate. Then again, with a name like Scuba Dave it doesn't sound like you live in a cold climate!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an older thread but here is some advice for anyone still having this issue. Do not change the oil thickness in this engine. This engine has variable valve timing and using anything other than the oil on the cap could mess with the timing and even damage your VVT valves. They are designed to work with the viscosity on the cap.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts