Jeep Patriot Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,136 Posts
renospatriot, you certainly established credibility by your loyalty Chrysler products. I think it helps enormously to be a familiar face in the dealership. When I get my oil changed, its usually at the dealership, and since we have 2 Jeeps in our stable, they see me fairly frequently; I also stop by and say 'hi' to the sales rep, tell him how great my Patriot is, etc. Granted they're $5 to $10 higher than the local station in town, but if there's ever a problem, they know me, and know they're probably going to sell me my next vehicle as well. Mistreating me would be a mistake that would cost them $$ in the future.

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of con artists out there who would love to make a slipping belt into an engine failure and want a new car out of it.

Establishing a relationship with the dealer goes both ways: they need it to sell me my next car, and I need it should I ever have a real problem.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I usually change my work truck every two years and had Chrysler not responded the way they did would of left a bitter taste and I most definitely would have changed over to Ford. I have my own business, and I can do a hundred things correctly but all it takes is one wrong decision and THAT is what the customer will remember. Plus my car was brand new with only 2000 miles.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I'm not talking about just a few clicks either, but THOUSANDS of random clicking sounds over a short period of time, such as a ten minute drive. Even with the music on, you can still hear it and it literally drives me insane.
Solid lifters (or in this case cam followers) generally tick. At 1000 engine rpm, the camshafts are spinning at 500 rpm. There are 16 cam followers, 8 on the intake cam and 8 on the exhaust cam. That's 500 x 16 = 8000 ticks per minute.

A solid cam follower has a preset amount of lash machined into the assembly. When cold, it could be .009 (nine thousandths of an inch) and when it warms up, it may shrink to something like .006, or .005...but it will still have a very small gap. So they'll get quieter, but they'll still make noise.

Hydraulic cam followers use oil pressure to press the cam follower firmly against the camshaft lobe, and thus are generally silent. Our engines use solid cam followers, they will not be silent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2008 ticked a bit and then a connecting rod broke, I am still trying to locate a decent used engine. Take it to another mechanical shop.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This is normal in the world engines, mine has done it since day one I bought it new. Throw some Lucas upper cylinder lubricant/ fuel injector cleaner in. I did this a couple fill ups ago and it quiets down after a couple minutes. Mine has always done it on cold starts since the time I drove it off the lot.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Since I don't drive mine very far to work (and it was still quite cold in Maine the first month I owned this), I have found that with warming temperatures/or driving for longer than 5 minutes, the sounds die down considerably. The Jeep engine is still louder than most every other vehicle I have owned, but I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
MY main point is, we should never have to accomodate a glitch or noise in a new car. It's not what we pay for. Chrysler would not help us, nor would the dealerships. We unloaded the 2012 Patriot for a 2012 Honda CR-V AWD, and love it. Enjoy your poorly made Jeeps.
You are a smart man! I wish I had gotten rid of my 2008 Patriot as soon as I noticed problems, When I add the time and money (Chrysler dealerships never admit there are problems or the problems are caused by poor workmanship) I have wasted on repairs over four years of ownership plus the original cost, I could easily have financed a $30,000+ vehicle. As I mentioned in an earlier post, "I am currently waiting to find a used engine" but I am really in no rush to spend more money on it, I may just take it to an autowrecker and sell it for scrap. I am far happier driving around in my 1979 Chevy Camper Van which gives me no grief.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,136 Posts
In defense of our Patriots

There is a failure rate for everything ever built, including our beloved Jeeps; AngryAlan's thrown rod certainly qualifies. However, try not to paint with too broad a brush -- most of the Patriots built are happily serving their owners, carrying them safely back and forth to work, taking the family camping, and competently working their way through mud and snow; they brave frigid winters and desert heat. Sadly, some do break down along the way, but happily, some are like the Eveready Bunny and just keep going and going. Seems most fall into the latter category.

The warning to everyone there is, don't panic! gabedenar, in all liklihood you took the pipe on the trade-in, even more so if you vented about its perceived shortcomings, and I suspect you probably paid too much for your next vehicle in an attempt to make a point, if only to yourself. Some lucky dude is going to buy your Patriot and be elated with it. He'll wonder why anybody ever got rid of it.

Obviously Jeep lost your business. If they'd been sharp they might have offered you an extended warranty. Back in the 80s my neighbors bought a Cherokee that had some undefinable issue the mechanics couldn't find, so AMC extended the warranty as a goodwill gesture. The vehicle ran fine ever after, they never needed the warranty, and as of only a few years ago (I've since moved) they were still driving it -- it was probably 20 years old at that point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Patriot cold start ticking noise

Can you get a recording/video of the noise, and post it so we can all listen? We are probably the best group to tell you if it is normal or not...
I just purchased a brand new 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4, and have owned it a little over three weeks. My Patriot for the most part stays outside because there is not enough room in the garage. I live in the suburbs of Chicago and it is June, so it is not cold during the night (60's and 70's). But whenever I leave my Patriot outside, the next morning I get a ticking noise only when I accelerate.

The ticking noise last on average for 3 to 5 minutes. I have a video posted on youtube. Because I am new to this forum, I cannot post a link, but if you go to youtube and copy and search "2012 Jeep Patriot Cold Start Ticking noise", you should be able to find my video.

I took my Patriot to the Jeep dealer where I bought it, and they were able to reproduce the noise and acknowledged it. They even told me that they had heard this noise on other 2012 Jeep Patriots. However, they did not have an answer as to why the noise was occurring.

Also my Patriot has 400 miles on it now.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I just purchased a brand new 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4, and have owned it a little over three weeks. My Patriot for the most part stays outside because there is not enough room in the garage. I live in the suburbs of Chicago and it is June, so it is not cold during the night (60's and 70's). But whenever I leave my Patriot outside, the next morning I get a ticking noise only when I accelerate.

The ticking noise last on average for 3 to 5 minutes. I have a video posted on youtube. Because I am new to this forum, I cannot post a link, but if you go to youtube and copy and search "2012 Jeep Patriot Cold Start Ticking noise", you should be able to find my video.

I took my Patriot to the Jeep dealer where I bought it, and they were able to reproduce the noise and acknowledged it. They even told me that they had heard this noise on other 2012 Jeep Patriots. However, they did not have an answer as to why the noise was occurring.

Also my Patriot has 400 miles on it now.
Welcome to the forum! The sound you describe is typical of the Patriot. Mine does the same thing when cold. Switching to synthetic oil and using a WIX filter with an anti drainback valve has helped some, but it still makes that sound when I start it up in the morning

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
If mine did not tick, it would not be my PAT... Yep, I got it too.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,136 Posts
Mine ticks a little while when first started -- maybe a minute at most. A little more in the winter, a little less in the summer, but it still ticks a little at first. At one point I even tried some STP but it seemed to make no difference. These valves just hang a little when they're cold. Yes, summer heat is cold compared to the internal temperature of a running engine . . .

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The sound you describe is typical of the Patriot. Mine does the same thing when cold. Switching to synthetic oil and using a WIX filter with an anti drainback valve has helped some, but it still makes that sound when I start it up in the morning

If it ticks on every start up it usually means the lifters are not holding pressure. It has nothing to do with a anti drain back on our oil filters because our filters are mounted from the bottom facing up so the oil is already in the filter on start up. Some cars have the filter on the top facing down and that's where you want to have an anti drain back oil filter, so the oil does not empty from the filter on down. By the way you must be really TICKED OFF. Get it!!

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Haha.... good one. As far as the adb valve, doesn't it also help prevent oil from draining down and out into the oil pan, or does it not work that way? I thought it helped to keep more oil in the top end of the engine than without one. I wasn't even worried about the filter being dry...

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Haha.... good one. As far as the adb valve, doesn't it also help prevent oil from draining down and out into the oil pan, or does it not work that way? I thought it helped to keep more oil in the top end of the engine than without one. I wasn't even worried about the filter being dry...

You are correct. And ADBV works with filters mounted facing up as you describe. It stops all of the oil in the top end from draining down to and through the filter.

Imagine filling a ballon with water. Then tip it upside down. If you didn't squeeze it or tie a knot in it the water would just run out. If you squeeze it or tie a knot in it the water stays in the ballon. Same thing with the ADBV in a filter.

There is some settiling down but it stops all of the oil from just draining back into the pan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very happy to find this post. I've got a noisy morning engine! I bought my Beep in March of 12 and it was a very mild winter (more like extended fall!!) so I don't know if I didn't notice it. Now that the temp has dropped (waking up to 30 degree weather), I notice this very audible clicking sound. If I run out and warm up the car before leaving in the morning, it goes away in a couple minutes of driving. Slightly scared that I had done something with driving all over the beach this summer... but seeing that other's have noticed the noise comforts me slightly. Is this a 4 Cyl engine thing? I've always owned Mopar products - 6 Cyl 3.0+ engines. Going down to a 2.4 ltr engine with....absolutly....no....go.... has been an adjustment. I still love my little Beep - I've had so much fun with it it on the beach... But she's slow. (And noisy when cold - she's definitely a Woman).

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
...seeing that other's have noticed the noise comforts me slightly. Is this a 4 Cyl engine thing? I've always owned Mopar products - 6 Cyl 3.0+ engines....
My xB's 2.4 liter 4 cylinder hummed smooth like a v6, no matter the temperature. In my experience, the Patriot's engine is just a little on the noisy side when its cold

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
701 Posts
mine ticks too, has always ticked, mine also has 1900 miles.

Deal with it.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
... but seeing that other's have noticed the noise comforts me slightly. Is this a 4 Cyl engine thing? I've always owned Mopar products - 6 Cyl 3.0+ engines. Going down to a 2.4 ltr engine with....absolutly....no....go.... has been an adjustment
It's a solid lifter/cam follower thing. The Mitsubishi 3.0L you were used to had hydraulic lash adjusters. Solid lifter engines tend to get noisy when cold. All of the metal in the engine shrinks when cold, this causes a slightly larger gap between the camshaft and the cam follower. It's perfectly normal and should quiet down once the engine warms.

·
Registered
33 Posts
well I'm new here and new to Jeep… but if I could add my 2 cents 9I know the OP has left long time ago but …)

More modern high tech engines are actually getting "louder" especially if they deploy Direct Injection, once the compression ratio hits over 10 the engine 'should' be louder (almost a tick noise) due to the fact it is becoming diesel like. Now it still needs a spark plug to work its magic of combustion but the compression rate is really putting stress on the heads, not to mention the newer injectors need to spy harder for less time and the internal solenoid in the injection housing will add to this along with stronger fuel pumps near the engine.

Best example of this a VW/Audi engine with Direct injection - when cold almost sounds like a diesel.

But hey who knows - I'm in the camp that believes ts normal!

I'd like to see if the OP's CR-V's 2.4L has started ticking too since most Honda motors typically need to have the valve lash adjusted after 10k miles other they tick all the time, as most people don't want to spend the $300 to have them done. Maybe Honda stopped using manually adjustable ones not sure…

41 - 60 of 64 Posts