Jeep Patriot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got Rid of The Noisy Patriot

MY main point is, we should never have to accomodate a glitch or noise in a new car. It's not what we pay for. Chrysler would not help us, nor would the dealerships. We unloaded the 2012 Patriot for a 2012 Honda CR-V AWD, and love it. Enjoy your poorly made Jeeps.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I do and will enjoy my poorly made Jeep, so poorly made that it's gone 3 years and 32000 miles with no issues. Goes through snow like a hot knife through butter. And it doesn't look so ....feminine as the CR-V.
Enjoy yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Enjoy your poorly made Jeeps.
Ouch. What'd we ever do to you? Anyways, enjoy your CRV. They are very nice, and I like them. We considered getting one for my wife, but I don't fit in the passenger seat and I'm only 5'10". There is not enough leg room at all in the front passenger seat for some reason. Everything else about it was fantastic, and fit and finish was excellent, but the leg room ruined it.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
MY main point is, we should never have to accomodate a glitch or noise in a new car. It's not what we pay for. Chrysler would not help us, nor would the dealerships. We unloaded the 2012 Patriot for a 2012 Honda CR-V AWD, and love it. Enjoy your poorly made Jeeps.
Ouch. What'd we ever do to you? Anyways, enjoy your CRV. They are very nice, and I like them. We considered getting one for my wife, but I don't fit in the passenger seat and I'm only 5'10". There is not enough leg room at all in the front passenger seat for some reason. Everything else about it was fantastic, and fit and finish was excellent, but the leg room ruined it.
I can see your point of view gabednar. If you wanted a perfectly quiet vehicle then a 4cyl Jeep probably isn't the best choice. I had an XJ with Selec-trac that made all kinds of drive train noises in the warm weather. I got used to it. I also hade a Jetta that had valve train noises right from the first day. It was never a problem as it got somewhat quieter as it warmed up. Every vehicle has it's idiosynchrasies.

They ruined the CR-V when they changed the roof line back in '05 or '06. And they made it worse with the lines on the rear side windows that exaggerated the roof line. UGH! The 2012 is slightly better bit it's still a girl's car all the way. Maybe I just like square.:D

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Ouch, what kind of financial hit did you take on that? While the Patriot may seem to compete with the CRV (and in capability it certainly beats the CRV), you have to remember it's in a completely different price class.

2012 NA Pricing
Base 2WD CRV = $22,295
Base AWD CRV = $23,545

Base 2WD Patriot = $15,995
Base 4WD Patriot = $17,995

It's like complaining that the Dodge Neon you bought isn't near as nice as a Honda Accord. If you were looking to spend in the $20,000's you should have looked at the Liberty.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,136 Posts
Poorly made? I'm at 87,000 w/out a single repair. Yes, the engine clicks a little when its cold out. We told you why and still you chose to worry about it anyway: worry enough to bail out of a new and very serviceable vehicle into something else and probably took a hit on the trade-in. Now you'll go around knocking the resale value.

Not real good judgment in my estimation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Then, why is this guy still here?

And the post re: price point is right on the money.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This gentleman was not making any of this up. I almost 3 weeks into ownership of my 2012 Jeep Patriot and the engine definitely ticks. My wife drove it for the first time last night and she said, "what's that noise." The engine is most definitely noisier than other vehicles I have driven in my 20+ years driving. It's not overbearing, but it's there. And it's there in both cold and warm weather. Today it was 75 degrees and it ticks.

·
Seriously Addicted
4,042 Posts
Well he is right about the noise you shouldn't have to deal with something if you pay a lot of money for it. Though some people make a mountain out of a mole hill and will complain about every last detail. It could just be the way the vehicle was made.

You enjoy your CRV at least I won't look like a middle aged woman in my Patriot.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
This gentleman was not making any of this up. I almost 3 weeks into ownership of my 2012 Jeep Patriot and the engine definitely ticks. My wife drove it for the first time last night and she said, "what's that noise." The engine is most definitely noisier than other vehicles I have driven in my 20+ years driving. It's not overbearing, but it's there. And it's there in both cold and warm weather. Today it was 75 degrees and it ticks.
You ought to test drive a couple of Patriots at the dealership and compare it. Maybe there is something wrong with yours? Mine just sounds like a little bit of internal combustion... no ticking

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not possible... Dealership was 150 miles away. It's not a deal-breaking thing... It's just different. It may not even be ticking, just engine noise while driving (not parked). I just know the engine, while sitting in the front seat, is louder than other vehicles I have driven.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I started my Pat yesterday after a week and I turned it off after 30 secs. The engine sounded like there was no oil in it! The lifters were so noisy. Is this possible lifter discharge when the engine is not started after a while? This morning it was like usual, normal tickling.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,136 Posts
You can hear the noise; I can only imagine that it sounds like my Patriot when it first starts -- the valves are a little noisey. Clicking goes away in a few seconds, or at most a mile of normal driving.

If you're really concerned, maybe try an additive like STP or some such. They advertise that their product prevents dry starts. If the sound you describe is caused by something else, then I'm out of suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny how the reason I'm hear is because of this exact same problem, one which is near the top of the forum page.

Only difference between mine and some others, is that it never happens when you first start it up or are idle. It's always happens when you're driving, and at different speeds.

I had it in the shop TWICE, for about three weeks total time, but they were never able to diagnose the problem. I inquired about the warranty and a possible replacement, and their response? They have to be able to diagnose the problem first. It's ridiculous, especially since the dealership doesn't offer a complementary loaner. It's also crazy because their engineers definitely hear this ticking sound.

I'm not talking about just a few clicks either, but THOUSANDS of random clicking sounds over a short period of time, such as a ten minute drive. Even with the music on, you can still hear it and it literally drives me insane.

For a first "new" vehicle, I'm quite disappointed, but I think I'm glad to hear that it's happening in the newer versions as well, that way I don't make the mistake of taking it to the dealer and trading it for a newer model.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the Jeep, I just want the problem resolved. I have the barebones model, without all of the fancy extras, but that's all I needed. What's scary, is that I wonder if another dealership would even allow me to trade it in with this problem. I think if that were the case, then the BBB would be the next step since the dealership isn't taking responsibility in finding the problem or giving a replacement.

One thought, based on the above comments, might be to have the next oil change done at my local shop. Maybe use another type of oil perhaps? I only have about 3K miles on it, but this would be my second oil change. I'm willing to shell out the $$ for the oil change if that might fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I started my Pat yesterday after a week and I turned it off after 30 secs. The engine sounded like there was no oil in it! The lifters were so noisy. Is this possible lifter discharge when the engine is not started after a while? This morning it was like usual, normal tickling.
Make sure you use an oil filter with an Anti Drain Back valve. I used the Mopar filter on my first change then I started buying Wix filters. The Wix ADB was obvious, and when I compared it to the Mopar filter, I didn't see one at all. Using a filter with ADB should help keep the engine wet. I also switched to 0w20 synthetic oil which helps the oil move better when its cold

·
Registered
656 Posts
Texan, I filed a case with Chrysler for a whistling noise from my windshield. After 3 weeks at the dealership they where not able to fix the vehicle. Chrysler kept escalating the case and reintroducing new case managers every time it was escalated. Finally this past Thursday I spoke to my case manager and told her I would be picking up my vehicle this Friday and trading the vehicle for either a different Patriot (if I received assistance from Chrysler) or I would be changing my loyalty to Ford. In the end I received Employee pricing which essentially made my 25,000 stickered Patriot to 22,300 + 1,000 Northeast rebate on top of that, then they appraised my vehicle at 18,500 in-which I only originally paid 17,900. So the moral of the story is you have to be persistent and not lose your cool, I avoided going through the long process of the lemon law and had this all wrapped up within three weeks.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,136 Posts
Texan, I filed a case with Chrysler for a whistling noise from my windshield. After 3 weeks at the dealership they where not able to fix the vehicle. Chrysler kept escalating the case and reintroducing new case managers every time it was escalated. Finally this past Thursday I spoke to my case manager and told her I would be picking up my vehicle this Friday and trading the vehicle for either a different Patriot (if I received assistance from Chrysler) or I would be changing my loyalty to Ford. In the end I received Employee pricing which essentially made my 25,000 stickered Patriot to 22,300 + 1,000 Northeast rebate on top of that, then they appraised my vehicle at 18,500 in-which I only originally paid 17,900. So the moral of the story is you have to be persistent and not lose your cool, I avoided going through the long process of the lemon law and had this all wrapped up within three weeks.

Your problem has me mystified. Why would one Patriot (out of the thousands produced) continually make the noise, and why could they not find the cause? At least they made a satisfactory response. Looks like you made out pretty well on the deal.

GM should have done the same for my father. He worked for Chevy garage just after WW2, and we always drove Chevys: 1949, 1953, 1959, and 1966. That '66 was nothing but problems, and he got a shoddy response from GM. So he traded for a 1969 Dodge the month the payments ran out. He's never traded so early before or since, but he just wanted to be out of that car. The Dodge was excellent, and he went on to buy another Dodge, 2 Plymouths and a Chrysler. A friend of his liked Dad's first Dodge so much he bought one himself (also trading a Chevy). Following him, I bought 3 Plymouths -- that's a total of 9 cars GM failed to sell for not treating a customer right. The imports might never have gained a foothold if the US manufacturers had backed their vehicles better.

Recently Ford blew off a woman I used to work with. I don't know what she'll get next time, but I can tell you what it won't be. Here she is, a woman in her 30s who has 40 years of car-buying ahead of her, and her husband as well. What are they thinking?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Make sure you use an oil filter with an Anti Drain Back valve. I used the Mopar filter on my first change then I started buying Wix filters. The Wix ADB was obvious, and when I compared it to the Mopar filter, I didn't see one at all. Using a filter with ADB should help keep the engine wet. I also switched to 0w20 synthetic oil which helps the oil move better when its cold
Ok, I will try that. I change the oil every 5000km's and I use Syntec 5w20

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ignatz, you are correct. In these times you have to be at your best and try to keep every customer, within reason. My issue was a realistic one that was verified by the service manager, which helps. I also told my case manager that within these past three years I have purchased 2-Dodge ram 1500's, 2010 and 2012 Jeep Patriot, a PT cruiser for my parents, and last I was able to drag my cousin from a Ford dealership while he was going over the numbers with the sales person, do you know how difficult it was to do that? And lastly, I persuaded my close friend to buy a Dodge Ram vs the GMC. He ended up getting a Fully loaded 47,000 dollar Long horn edition. In conclusion, from 2009 to current Chrysler was able to generate a total of 7 vehicles due to my efforts, and I told this to the case manager and I'm sure she verified it through the computer. This may be how I received such a good deal.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts