Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I can find no good answers to this one. The engine in my 2012 Patriot 4x4 (600 miles)has a cold start ticking noise. As the engine warms up, the ticking sound (sounds just like a valve tapping) is less pronounced, but it never goes away. The dealer just told me that they listened to my engine, heard the sound, started some other Patriots on their lot and they had the same sound, so the sound is common and nothing is wrong. I asked if the service department had actually checked anything, such as the oil pressure. The answer was "no, we just listened to it". I forced the issue, and they agreed to check the oil pressure, and I suspect the reading will be normal. If so, I consider this a design flaw.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Not necessarily a "flaw", other engines make ticking sounds too. However, I haven't noticed that with my engine.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Hmm I am not sure if mine "ticks", but it does have a bit of a clatter to it. It's quiet and the sound deadening keeps me happy. When it is warm I hardly notice. Try a thicker w30 oil? With only 600 miles, maybe the engine is just new and not settled in yet?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Cold start clatter is common to this engine. Could be poor oil flow or loose tolerance or even a combo of both. I would agree it is a design flaw. Sadly many engines these days sound like they are ready to blow up.

My 2011 w/ 2.4L sounds like a sewing machine inside a bag full of empty tin cans when it is 1st started( when it is cold out - below like 45F +/- ). Has since I bought it in Aug. I hate it that it does that but they all seem to for the most part so nothing will be done about it( warranty ).

I use synthetic 5W20 oil( better flow at cold start )and I allow the engine to run for approx a minute before taking off to ensure oil has reached everywhere to try and minimize any wear damage that may be occuring.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Hmm I am not sure if mine "ticks", but it does have a bit of a clatter to it. It's quiet and the sound deadening keeps me happy. When it is warm I hardly notice. Try a thicker w30 oil? With only 600 miles, maybe the engine is just new and not settled in yet?
Going to a thicker oil when you have cold start noise will actually make the noise worse if it is oil flow related. Using a thicker oil to reduce engine noise applies to noises you hear when the engine is warmed up.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
These engine use a solid lifter design, so the colder it is at startup, the more ticking you will hear until the engine warms up. It's perfectly normal and nothing to really be concerned with. I drive mine easy until it starts to get some temperature in it. You'll also notice the CVT doesn't shift as early and the manual shift mode is disabled until the CVT warms up some too.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hmmm... solid lifters.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

"The cams ride on tappets that come in four dozen very similar thicknesses; the tappets are automatically matched to the individual heads during assembly, eliminating the need to adjust valve lash."

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You might be hearing the fuel injectors. These four bangers are noisy. The more cylinders v6,v8, v10 the smoother an engine will feel at idle. Don't worry too much about clanks or ticks. You'll know when something wrong. You're under warranty so no worries.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I never hear any ticking or other drama. This morning it was 27F when I started the engine, and I didn't hear any ticking, banging, knocking while I was scraping ice or when I drove off. I've never noticed anything like that in the three years I've had mine. Even so, ticking is not indicative of anything wrong with an engine and it's not damaging itself.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,135 Posts
Guess we've got this narrowed down to the valves, and I agree. I'm with NHPatriot on using thinner oil. Thicker oil will also make it start harder in cold weather. Really, I'd leave the oil alone.

Mine didn't start doing that until this year, but its not uncommon in any engine, particularly older ones, and especially in cold weather. It was right around 0 F this morning. I don't get the noise when its milder. Drive easy till it warms up, or just let it idle for a few minutes before putting it in gear. Thankfully these things warm up real quick. My noise goes away in about a minute.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Going to a thicker oil when you have cold start noise will actually make the noise worse if it is oil flow related. Using a thicker oil to reduce engine noise applies to noises you hear when the engine is warmed up.
You are completely right. I switched to 0w20 and it is quieter for me. For some reason my Trooper came to mind, and after 160,000 miles the lifters would tick when coming off the highway, and thicker oil seemed to help. For cold engine clatter a lower weight would be better

·
Registered
89 Posts
These engine use a solid lifter design, so the colder it is at startup, the more ticking you will hear until the engine warms up. It's perfectly normal and nothing to really be concerned with. I drive mine easy until it starts to get some temperature in it. You'll also notice the CVT doesn't shift as early and the manual shift mode is disabled until the CVT warms up some too.
Mine ticks at startup for the first 4 or 5 miles as others have described.

I've never noticed the auto-stick being disabled though on startup?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have it, too.

More noticable once I switched to synthetic (M1) oil, 5w20.

Not worried about it.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,135 Posts
I've never noticed the auto-stick being disabled though on startup?
mhoppes, do you live in a warm climate? The CVT functions normally well below freezing, but maybe below 20F you'll have what todde702 described. The shift indicator will show 4, 5, or 6 or whatever you've notched it into, but its spoofin' -- the rpms will stay higher until its warmed up, then you'll feel the rpms drop. Maybe a mile or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2012 Patriot Sport 4X4- 800 miles- Engine Ticking

Okay, so only me, my wife, and family and friends can hear the constant ticking sound coming from my engine. The second of two dealers just told me that they cant hear anything. I give up. Gonna pick it up and drive the crap out of it till I get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I hear ticking sometimes too. It is normal. The dealership is lying to you, they hear it also. They just dont want to waste time on diagnosing a non-problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
From the very beginning my 2011 Patriot would make a ticking noise during the first few minutes of it running or while cold. It never occurred while the engine was warmed up. It was just the other day that I tried to listen for the root of the ticking. While at the rear of the car i would get a little bit of spray from the exhaust that was seemingly timed perfectly with the ticking...almost seemed the ticking was coming from within the exhaust.

I have 20k miles and haven't even had this Jeep for a year yet...despite the ticking this Jeep more than meets my expectations of a daily driver.

Hope this helps...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts