Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alternator on my Jeep went out a little over a month ago with the loadest death whine I have ever heard. I bought a brand new alternator and my battery was warrantied out. I noticed during the installation of the alt that the post would rotate. I have never seen this on the alt's I've installed before and I had already exchanged the old one for its core charge so, I didn't have another one to test the post-rotation thing. I finish the installation and turn the Jeep over, it starts but the battery light is instantly on. Let the jeep run for a few minutes hoping the alt would engage, it did not.

At that point I removed the plug that clips into place next to the post, forgive me but I don't know its name; I believe it is what connects to the computer to tell the alt to start sending out voltage. I measured both voltage and resistance at the connector, I got around 12.x volts.. exactly what the batt read. I did not get a reading on resistance.

With the Jeep still running I tested the voltage at the post on the alt. zero volts. I take the alternator off of the Jeep and bring it and the batt to AutoZone and have them bench test both, they pass. I go home and reinstall everything. To my joy, it worked! Two days later the batt light comes back on.

I believe I have a bad alt based on the facts that my post at the alt rotates, and no it is not the cable rotating, the cable is secured tightly to the post; the post is rotating. The other key fact that I'm getting zero volts at my post.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Tsunamu, most of us don't go to Autozone for there "high quality" alternators, we go there for the lifetime warranty. Just take it back and get another unit. Tell them it worked for a couple of days and stopped.

Next time you need an alternator go to Rockauto.com, they have Reman MOPAR for less then $200.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TKPat thanks for the suggestion. I did bring the alternator back and got it warrantied out, they guy at the counter said it looked like the nut inside the alt came loose causing the post to turn. He swapped it out without hesitation.

I installed the new alt and it immediately fixed the issue. 14v+ at the batt while running.

One thing I have noticed since all of this occurred is that my radio want hold a station. The display still reads the station I want but its all static and a mix of different stations. Do you think the old alt going out and the 1st new one being bad may have fried my radio? It only happens on AM/FM, if I'm using AUX or CD it plays without issue.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Radio static could be a problem with the suppression capacitor mounted on the engine. Can't remember the exact name of it. Ignition condenser or something like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts