Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new to the site. Could some please tell me if I just need to do more than jump or change my battery after my wife left the key in the on position overnight (WITH ENGINE OFF) She forgot to roll up the rear windows after she shut the Jeep off but left the key in the on position now the battery is completely dead not even the clock lights up. Can Jumpstart it with another vehicle like the old days are do I need to do something else so I don't mess up the Jeeps computer? Will I need to rest the stuff like the engine warning lights? If so can I do it at home without taking it to a repair shop? I am not use to working on newer cars I've always had muscle cars and trucks from the 60's and 70's that were pretty easy to work on. But, I'm lost when it comes to the newer type engines and stuff. Thank you for any help in advance and have a great day.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,359 Posts
AFAIK, you can jump it to get it started and then just give it a good long drive to get it recharged. However, a complete drain does shorten battery life so you may be shopping for a new battery soon. Replacing a battery is the same as it ever was -- just a little harder to get at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AFAIK, you can jump it to get it started and then just give it a good long drive to get it recharged. However, a complete drain does shorten battery life so you may be shopping for a new battery soon. Replacing a battery is the same as it ever was -- just a little harder to get at.
Thank you so very much. The battery is over 2 years old anyway and it is a 24 month battery so replacing it sounds like the best way to go. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
2008 2.0 CDI 4x4
9 Posts
Assisted starting is to be avoided. Remember that the PCM incorporates the charge controller.I helped Pat start my other VW car and chose the fried charging relay, even though I followed the current donation procedure.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Assisted starting is to be avoided. Remember that the PCM incorporates the charge controller.I helped Pat start my other VW car and chose the fried charging relay, even though I followed the current donation procedure.
Our owner's manual still has a section on jump starting our Patriots. I've been doing it for decades without problems. I follow the correct procedures, being extra careful to avoid any shorts (positive to negative touching). With a completely dead battery, it is good to wait 5 minutes with the jump cables connected and engine running before attempting to start the dead vehicle. Refer to the owners manual with other models.

Hot climates shorten battery life. Here in Michigan, I replaced my OEM battery at 8.5 years - it was still operating fine, but was concerned about my wife getting stranded, so I replaced it proactively. I agree with Ignatz's comments, but a battery charger will do a better job of restoring a completely dead battery to a more healthy condition. Maybe not our Patriots, but some of the newest cars reduce the charging amps/voltage to a minimum needed (at least that's what I read).

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
5,034 Posts
I've had to jump start my Patriot a few times this year. Happens alot quicker when I hook it up to the battery system on a semi-tractor, haha. And it couldn't hurt to take it to a proper mechanic just in case, and make sure nothing's draining the battery while it's off, especially since yours seems to have some power options. I'll be doing the same with another vehicle of mine in a week or two, Lord willing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Always charge a dead battery. If you jump start it, the alternator will have to do all the work of charging it up and that will be hard on the alternator. I know many people do it, but you can actually take an alternator out doing that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts