Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i'm scratching my head at this point...
I have a 2012 Jeep Compass 2.4l, my issue is my a/c blows cold air for about 30 min then starts blowing warm air. I've changed everything that i could change for example; ac compressor, ac condenser, receiver drier, evaporator, ac pressure switch, ac E.T.R SWITCH and the climate control knobs but it still does the same thing. there are no check engine codes or anything. I need help!! If anyone out there has run into the same issues plz let me know. Summer is here and i cant be without AC.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,321 Posts
It sounds like you've got moisture in your system. After you had the system open to atmosphere when swapping all those parts, did you vacuum the system out properly? Generally you need to pull vacuum for ~2 hours after having it open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like you've got moisture in your system. After you had the system open to atmosphere when swapping all those parts, did you vacuum the system out properly? Generally you need to pull vacuum for ~2 hours after having it open.
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately i've had this problem long before i swapped any parts. Plus I had it professionally vacuumed and charged with a proper machine.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,321 Posts
Could also be a bad expansion valve or possibly the condensor might be icing up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could also be a bad expansion valve or possibly the condensor might be icing up.
Sorry i forgot to add that i also changed the expansion valve too, i thought the same regarding the icing but it is draining water like its supposed to.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
When it stops working, if you turn it off and immediately back on, does it start working again? Or turn it off for 10-15 minutes then on again? When the compressor was replaced, was the clutch replaced too?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When it stops working, if you turn it off and immediately back on, does it start working again? Or turn it off for 10-15 minutes then on again? When the compressor was replaced, was the clutch replaced too?
Yes!! As soon as it starts blowing warm air i turn the ac knob off for 5 secs then back on and it works till it does it again. Also the ac light on the knob turns off when it happens.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
OK. It sounds most like an electrical problem... relay, wiring, or possibly a faulty clutch. Even a brand new clutch can be faulty. Unfortunately the computers don't monitor the AC system, so it'll have to manual troubleshooting. Maybe a faulty ground.

·
Administrator
6,361 Posts
Hey everyone i'm scratching my head at this point...
I have a 2012 Jeep Compass 2.4l, my issue is my a/c blows cold air for about 30 min then starts blowing warm air. I've changed everything that i could change for example; ac compressor, ac condenser, receiver drier, evaporator, ac pressure switch, ac E.T.R SWITCH and the climate control knobs but it still does the same thing. there are no check engine codes or anything. I need help!! If anyone out there has run into the same issues plz let me know. Summer is here and i cant be without AC.
Do you have the automatic climate control or manual?

Automatic

Manual

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK. It sounds most like an electrical problem... relay, wiring, or possibly a faulty clutch. Even a brand new clutch can be faulty. Unfortunately the computers don't monitor the AC system, so it'll have to manual troubleshooting. Maybe a faulty ground.
At this point I'm thinking its the vehicles computer because I checked the ground and there is no ac relay that I can find. All I know for sure after monitoring compressor is that when it starts to blow hot air the compressor cuts off like it cycling then I turn the knob off and back on and boom it works again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At this point I'm thinking its the vehicles computer because I checked the ground and there is no ac relay that I can find. All I know for sure after monitoring compressor is that when it starts to blow hot air the compressor cuts off like it cycling then I turn the knob off and back on and boom it works again.
Hi, we had the same problem on our 2013 patriot a couple of weeks ago. After about an hour no conditioned air came out. We kept it running as we were on the road and after 30 or so minutes or after shutting down it comes on again.
We ended up changing a working compressor as my wife believed the garage, same problem.
Then we changed the condensor at the suggestion of the garage and still same.
However I turned the temperature control to full hot while testing and actually cold or normal air was blowing or rather there was no really hot air.
It turned out to be just a faulty thermostat or temperature sensor :-(
Spent a whole lot for just a 20 dollar fix.
Check if your temperature control knob is giving cold air and hot air after startong before the compressor stops when the cabin is cool.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A/c relay is part of the TIPM (total integrated power module) that has fuses in it behind the battery. One of the solid state relays on the circuit board could be getting hot and shutting down until you reset it with the 'turn it off and back on again' procedure.

There is also a small relay box in the driver fender well mounted to the frame, but I don't think any of those 6 relays control a/c compressor - but they do control the cooling fan for the condenser.

You'll need to get it into the 'failed' state, and start tracing the voltage and find the spot where you are losing it from beginning all the way to the compressor. Example: Battery > fuse > relay > climate control switch > low pressure switch > high pressure switch > compressor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts