Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Replaced the T355 5 speed transmission(and also the clutch, slave cylinder, clutch and brake master cylinders) in my 4x4 Patriot with 2.4L back in February due to a cracked housing at the front motor mount. After 3 months of driving it the slave cylinder blew when coming to a stop. I replaced it and drove it around the block and parked it. While standing there patting myself on the back for a job well done and having a cold one, it popped and leaked all the brake fluid out through the flywheel cover plate. I replaced it again on my next vacation day after making sure the dimensions on the newer clutch and slave cylinder matched the ones I pulled when changing transmissions. Everything was the same. I drove the Patriot for a week when the slave cylinder had blown again while it was sitting in the parking lot at work. To my knowledge there is no way to adjust the clutch master, slave etc. This is the first manual transmission I've had that has an internal slave cylinder so I am lost on what could be causing the issue. I don't see how the slave cylinder could be over-extending itself unless the transmission housing where the cylinder bolts too is machined wrong and would need to be shimmed out. I can find no dimensions for what the mounting surface to input shaft end on the transmission would be. Does anyone have any ideas? The vehicle runs well and has low miles but can't keep dropping the transmission every other week to replace a slave cylinder along with being stranded all the time.

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
Hi, welcome to the site!

Over the years a lot of people have had trouble with the clutch / slave cylinder going out more than once, but not to the extent you're seeing.

I'm probably not the best expert on this, so hopefully someone else with with more insight can jump in.

That said, there's a few things to keep in mind when replacing it, like making sure all the mating surfaces are clean (input shaft, etc.) so the seal seals, and making sure the seal doesn't get nicked when you slide it past the shaft splines.

Also, there's a three step torque down sequence in the manual for the three mounting bolts that should be followed to make sure the seal seats evenly.

Rectangle Gesture Font Sleeve Elbow

Here's a vid that may also help:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts