Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went out to the Jeep this morning and started it up like normal, but when I pressed the menu button on the steering wheel to check the tire pressure, I got no response. The uconnect phone buttons are not working on the steering wheel, and the radio buttons on the back of the wheel are non responsive as well. In fact the only thing working on the steering wheel (besides the horn) is the cruise control, so I figure they are probably on separate wiring. Has anybody had this happen before? Is there a quick fix so I don't have to mess with a dealer?

I checked and it looks like those buttons are on the same fuse for the power mirrors, but they still move just fine. This sucks! It's 4 months old! Fancy electronics....
:doh:

It is stuck at the MPG screen... I can't even get the compass up. lame. They were all working fine yesterday...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
My cruise buttons act up...

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
It's probably the plug that connects that part of the harness to the CANBUS.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I disconnected the battery and let it sit for 2 hours. After I hooked it back up, all buttons are functioning normally. Crazy stuff... And I'm glad it was simple. Hopefully that doesn't happen for a good long while.... or ever again :)

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh something interesting... after reconnecting the battery, the default mpg was at 23.5 ...must be the default feel-good after driving away from the dealer

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It sounds like a Micro$haft OS. If it locks up, reboot.

In the Navy, the Combat System types refer to the disconnect fix as the "Raytheon Reset."

·
Registered
1 Posts
similar problem, same solution

I had the same problems: steering wheel controls for audio and dash display failed to work (though cruise control did function properly). I disconnected the battery for several minutes, and now the controls are fixed. Of course, now I have to reset everything. But I'm pleased I don't have to waste a load of time going to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same problems: steering wheel controls for audio and dash display failed to work (though cruise control did function properly). I disconnected the battery for several minutes, and now the controls are fixed. Of course, now I have to reset everything. But I'm pleased I don't have to waste a load of time going to the dealer.
I'm glad (and sorry to hear) I'm not the only one. It's so weird this hasn't happened with the EVIC before (or has it? A search yielded nothing) When did this happen to you jwillis?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for sharing and now I know what to do if it happens to me. This never happened in my 08. Can you disconnect just one terminal or does it have to be both?

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just disconnected the negative. I also flicked the lights on and off just to bleed any residual power.. not sure if that did anything.

·
Registered
540 Posts
CRUISE indicator lamp/speed control wasn't working when depressed button. It only worked when the car was stopped. Looked like it was shorted. Crazy...
Instead of going to the dealership (and spend some buck$) I came here for advice and got it!
Disconnecting the battery definitely solves this problem.
Followed MrJeep instructions: let sit for 2 hours and then reconnected.

Cruise control is working like a charm again.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome, glad it helped! I don't think it needs to actually sit for 2 hours, that just happened to be how long it was before I went back out. I'm guessing 30 or less would do the trick, just open the door or turn the headlights on and off to bleed out all the residual power

Sent from my Nexus 4

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yep. Thank u MrJeep!
I also think 1 hour is ok, but just in case...
Also did the headlights on/off thing.

·
Equal Opportunity Mod
2,482 Posts
mine actually acted up last week. when I tried to view the trip meter, it wouldn't turn off of the temperature! as if it was trying to say 'who cares how far we have driven since fuel, look how darn hot it is" :) Fortunately as soon as I turned it off and back on it reset worked again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went out to the Jeep this morning and started it up like normal, but when I pressed the menu button on the steering wheel to check the tire pressure, I got no response. The uconnect phone buttons are not working on the steering wheel, and the radio buttons on the back of the wheel are non responsive as well. In fact the only thing working on the steering wheel (besides the horn) is the cruise control, so I figure they are probably on separate wiring. Has anybody had this happen before? Is there a quick fix so I don't have to mess with a dealer?

I checked and it looks like those buttons are on the same fuse for the power mirrors, but they still move just fine. This sucks! It's 4 months old! Fancy electronics....
:doh:

It is stuck at the MPG screen... I can't even get the compass up. lame. They were all working fine yesterday...
I have the same problem on my 2013 Jeep Compass except the horn also does not work. Only the cruise control buttons work. I tried disconnecting the battery for about an hour and nothing changed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts