Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
6,988 Posts
FWD models usually have drum/shoes in the rear, but the best way to know for sure is to look through the rim, or from under and behind and see if it has calipers / disks.
Or take the rim off if you can't otherwise see.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,640 Posts
If it's 4WD it's definitely disks/pads. Most FWD are drums/shoes. As Sandstone said just take a look at thru the wheels and you'll see.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I need to replace rear brakes, do I need pads and rotors or shoes and drums? It might be a stupid question, I need to know so I know what set to buy. Hope you can help.
Take them apart to see what you need. Do you hear metal grinding when you step on the brakes ? Then you need PADS. The SHOES are for the parking brake in the rear. They are inside the rotor, the pads are outside the rotor. If you need a visual, go on U tube, there has to be a video on how to replace either one.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, there were drum brakes, I got a set (Power Stop) of 2 shoes + 2 drums + hardware at walmart online for $90, found a mechanic in my area who installed them for $100. For a total just shy of 200, I am a very happy camper. Take that stealership!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts