Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I've got some confusion going on about the catalytic converter on my 2011 Latitude 4x4. I've read in several places that if I have the California emissions sticker under the hood, that I need a catalytic converter that meets California standards. Is this true only if you're in California, or is there something in the computer that will recognize that it doesn't meet California's standards and will throw a code? I'm in Tennessee and the Pat will never go to California. Also, I was looking at this one

This same part number has conflicting information. RockAuto says it's approved for use in all 50 states, but Autozone says it's not approved for use in California or New York. Would anybody happen to know which one is true? I honestly don't even know if my Pat has California emissions in it, I'm attaching the only sticker that's under the hood that I could find. Any information that anybody could provide will be greatly appreciated.
931-639-7764

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,197 Posts
According to your sticker, it appears that your Pat conforms to BOTH U.S. EPA and California emissions regulations, making it a California Emissions vehicle. AFAIK, non-California parts will fit and function properly, it's just that the part is not certified for use in California. However, EPA regulations state that if the vehicle has California emissions standards, that they must be maintained, even if the vehicle is not in California. Basically, it's "illegal" for a shop to put in a non-Californial emissions part, but if you do it yourself nobody will ever know, including your Pat.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot Sport
9 Posts
The computer in you car will not no the difference. I live N.Y. which is similar to CA. I’ve put a $300 dollar cat in my car and works just fine and passed NYS inspection. The choices were OE or Magnaflow (I think), upwards of $800 +. If you do the install yourself no one will ever no the difference, chances are an independent shop won’t know difference either if you purchase the part and ask them to install it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts