Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2010 2.4 4x2 patriot threw the p455 and 456 codes this week (gross and small evap system leaks). Resetting these caused them to return immediately. Gas cap is recently new, last time on the original cap we got a “gas cap” code on display, and changing the cap fixed the problem. Now we are just getting the codes. Started with the purge solenoid under the hood, replaced with new, no issues, codes still there. Friendly garage tested system with smoke, found no leaks, good n tight. Still codes. Now I’m thinking the canister and vent valve under the rear wheel. That is next. Does anyone know what exactly will throw these codes? Some kind of pressure test or ?. I believe there is a 2 piece contraption on that canister, a vent valve and the canister itself, have visual on canister, doesn’t look bad. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
287 Posts
These codes normally appear when a leak is detected. Usually it's the valve as long as the canister is not physically damaged. Often the diaphragm wears out and no longer properly seals.

I'm not sure how this is monitored without checking my manual, but if you have a vacuum gauge there are a ton of YouTube videos on how to check the valve for proper function.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update.... I changed the vent solenoid on the canister behind rear tire. Cleared the codes, and started running again. No more issues so far!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts