Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched this forum but could not find any info so I'll need to ask.
The horn in my 2010 Jeep Patriot has recently begun to sound for no apparent reason whilst parked & driving.
My question is, will it affect the electronics of the system if I disconnect the horn until I can access a qualified service facility, nearest of which is an 800 km drive away.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
You can disconnect the wires from the horn, just use electrical tape on the ends so the they can't short and secure them so they aren't loose and flying around.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Like Sandstone said, no problem unplugging it. Here are 2 threads that I found by searching for "horn itself". And there's more...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies, I pulled one wire off the horn & will just have to wait & see ! At least I won't get into any trouble with the neighbours.
Will continue to monitor the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ignatz,
Thank you. At this stage I isolated the horn until I can get to a Jeep Service facility an 800 km drive away. I find it absolutely incredulous that car manufacturers are actually permitted to supply cars that cannot be serviced by normal car services. Friends who drive other brands think the same. It may be ok for city folk where a car only requires towing for short distances but when you live in the country it is literally cost prohibitive to transport a vehicle. A car should be fitted with parts electronic or otherwise that can be posted pre-programmed.
Kindest Regards
HH

·
8,203 Posts
Peeg101--

I agree. Cars are so sophisticated today and companies are very protective of their technology that they won't share much. My state has some regulations that forbid proprietary exclusion for most things, but the manufacturers do their best to dodge the rules. More and more I'm seeing independent shops specializing in only a few makes.

When I was first driving the wiring harness in my car was nothing more than lights and wipers. Mine didn't even have a radio. Ignition was a distributor and the spark plug wires. Even a kid could change a generator or a start motor, even pull a radiator. You could see the spark plugs and they didn't have to be torqued.

Look under the hood now and its a spiderweb of hoses and wires going to who knows what. About all I can do these days is change the oil and the plugs. Even the air filter is a chore. Aaaugh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts