Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My 2010 Jeep Patriot won't start. When you turn the key it won't crank over. But if i keep trying, it sometimes will start but then shuts off after a few seconds. I know that Jeeps have a ignition switch and ignition actuator pin issues. Could that be my issue? Doesn't make sense that it will start occasionally but shuts off. Thanks for any information you can provide.

·
Super Moderator
4,154 Posts
Could be a number of things, like a dead/failing battery, corroded battery terminals and/or loose connection, bad WCM, or a problem with corroded connections in the relay box. Check for any error codes, like p1279 (starter circuit 2 open).

Here are some more threads on it:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned the battery terminals. The engine light was on before this issue started. It has a p0420 code(exhaust code) I don't think its the battery. When it won't crank over at all the headlights are bright and don't dim at all. When it happens to crank over and it starts, it cranks fine(not slow like a weak battery) I've turned the key 100 times and it's only cranked and started twice but shut off both times after a couple seconds of running.

·
Super Moderator
4,154 Posts
Some have had problems with key fobs going bad/weak batteries, so you could try another key if you have one.

If it's a problem with the WCM (wireless control module), the red "security" led on the instrument cluster can be on.
Sometimes pulling the IOD (ignition off-draw) fuse will reset the WCM and it will start working.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Could be a starter issue. Sometimes it engages and sometimes it doesn't or the cable for the starter is loose.

·
7,691 Posts
Do you have a manual transmission? A bad clutch safety switch would keep the starter from engaging. Our Patriot does that a lot. All we do is turn off the ignition (not simply raising and lowering the clutch pedal again) and restart -- second time's a charm.

As for starting and not running you've got me on that part. I'll defer to the others on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a automatic. I rescanned it and it has a U0100 code now. No communication with the pcm.

·
7,691 Posts
I'm pretty helpless when it comes to automotive electronics. I miss the old days with points, condenser and a rotor button. Stuff anybody could do. Now so much stuff is interconnected that almost anything can affect almost anything else.

·
Super Moderator
4,154 Posts
It's a automatic. I rescanned it and it has a U0100 code now. No communication with the pcm.
If you know the battery is up to full charge, and the battery connections are good, I would check the connectors on the PCM and verify they are not loose. If they're properly seated, then it may be a problem with the wiring harness, or a failed PCM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured out the problem. It was a corroded relay and wire. The relay box is behind the front driver side wheel inner plastic splash shield for anyone with same issue. There are videos on YouTube showing that it's a common issue with Jeeps and dodges. I hope this helps others. Thanks for all the suggestions and help

·
7,691 Posts
I figured out the problem. It was a corroded relay and wire. The relay box is behind the front driver side wheel inner plastic splash shield for anyone with same issue. There are videos on YouTube showing that it's a common issue with Jeeps and dodges. I hope this helps others. Thanks for all the suggestions and help
Thanks for posting the solution! That's what makes this forum valuable to all Patriot owners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I cleaned the battery terminals. The engine light was on before this issue started. It has a p0420 code(exhaust code) I don't think its the battery. When it won't crank over at all the headlights are bright and don't dim at all. When it happens to crank over and it starts, it cranks fine(not slow like a weak battery) I've turned the key 100 times and it's only cranked and started twice but shut off both times after a couple seconds of running.
If the lights don't dim at all you have a starting problem that may be the shifter position safety switch. Put it in neutral and see if it will start

1 - 13 of 13 Posts