Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody, am new on this and have a problem that I hope you can help with. I drove it today and when I tried to reverse I had to push the gas pedal half way down just to get it to move, then when moving forward from a stop it starts bucking and seems like I am on rumble strips up until about 10 mph then goes away. Not lights are on on the dash, transmission doesn't seem to be making any crazy noises and not sure if this is a transmission problem or something else. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Everybody

·
Registered
57 Posts
Explain what "it reverses hard" means??? Does the motor rev freely in neutral and when ya finally get the vehicle moving?? Do you smell anything burning,like oil and is there any smoke coming out of either the exhaust pipe or the engine compartment??????????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Explain what "it reverses hard" means??? Does the motor rev freely in neutral and when ya finally get the vehicle moving?? Do you smell anything burning,like oil and is there any smoke coming out of either the exhaust pipe or the engine compartment??????????
Hi Dave, thanks for replying. With the reversing hard, it feels like the emergency brake is partially engaged, but we checked and no brakes or calipers are locked up or engaged, and this does not happen when in drive. Yes the motor rev's freely in neutral and when we are moving in drive. No smoke coming out of the exhaust or the engine compartment and do not smell anything burning. Thanks so much for any help you can give
Chris West

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like you have a problem with the automatic transmission!!How many miles do ya have on the vehicle and when was the last time you or a shop, serviced it??? Did ya check the fluid level in the trans???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. When we plugged the code reader in at the shop it did not bring up any codes which thought was weird. Fluid was check around 20,000 miles ago. It is sounding like a new transmission will be in my future. Ugh!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any suggestions on what to check or to do before purchasing a new transmission. Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hi Everybody, am new on this and have a problem that I hope you can help with. I drove it today and when I tried to reverse I had to push the gas pedal half way down just to get it to move, then when moving forward from a stop it starts bucking and seems like I am on rumble strips up until about 10 mph then goes away. Not lights are on on the dash, transmission doesn't seem to be making any crazy noises and not sure if this is a transmission problem or something else. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Everybody
Hey chwest2,

TSB 18-042-11 may relate to your vehicle:

SUBJECT:
Flash: Bump Jerk Feeling
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2009 - 2010 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2009 - 2010 (PM) Caliber
NOTE: This bulletin applies to 2009 and 2010 PM/MK vehicles equipped with a 2.4L
engine (sales code ED3) with 50 state emissions (sales code NAS) or export
emissions (sales code NA1) and a automatic transmission (sales code DAV).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may report a bump or jerking feeling under the following conditions:
I. Vehicle is traveling between 25 MPH (40 KPH) to 30 MPH (48 KPH) and the driver
lifts their foot of the accelerator pedal. The condition could happen again as the
vehicle slows down to 15 MPH (24 KPH) with the no accelerator input a second
bump may be felt.
II. Vehicle coasting between 3 MPH (4 KPH) and 15 MPH (24 KPH) with no accelerator
pedal input and the driver steps on the accelerator pedal a bump or jerking feeling
may be felt.
Updating the software will correct the conditions listed above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jeep patriot

Hey chwest2,

TSB 18-042-11 may relate to your vehicle:

SUBJECT:
Flash: Bump Jerk Feeling
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2009 - 2010 (MK) Compass/Patriot
2009 - 2010 (PM) Caliber
NOTE: This bulletin applies to 2009 and 2010 PM/MK vehicles equipped with a 2.4L
engine (sales code ED3) with 50 state emissions (sales code NAS) or export
emissions (sales code NA1) and a automatic transmission (sales code DAV).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may report a bump or jerking feeling under the following conditions:
I. Vehicle is traveling between 25 MPH (40 KPH) to 30 MPH (48 KPH) and the driver
lifts their foot of the accelerator pedal. The condition could happen again as the
vehicle slows down to 15 MPH (24 KPH) with the no accelerator input a second
bump may be felt.
II. Vehicle coasting between 3 MPH (4 KPH) and 15 MPH (24 KPH) with no accelerator
pedal input and the driver steps on the accelerator pedal a bump or jerking feeling
may be felt.
Updating the software will correct the conditions listed above.
Hey Ryan thanks for the info. I only had the problem when accelerating from a stop to about 10 miles an hour and then reversing would feel like the e brake was on and would barely move, Wish it could have been a reprogramming issue. Mechanic said he had it up on the hoist in neutral and wheels would not spin, then when he unhooked the drive from the back wheels they would spin but front were still locked up thanks for the help, appreciate you all assisting. If anyone wants to buy a jeep patriot will be selling it as soon as its fixed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts