Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on suspension & tires forum... guess I was thinking more about the wheel knuckle I'm replacing. So I'm posting here, in the correct forum.

I’ve been working on my daughters ’10 Patriot FWD to replace a passenger side trashed wheel bearing and the CV axle. She somehow sheared the end off of the axle but perhaps the axle was weakened due to high temperature from the failed wheel bearing. I ordered what I thought was the correct axle only to later notice that hers has the intermediate axle. So now the correct shorter axle will be delivered soon. I plan to leave the intermediate axle in place and only install the CV axle. I’ve searched high and low to see if the intermediate axle has a snap ring on the outboard end or not. Could someone chime in if they’ve done this replacement? I just want to know if I’ll need to gently pry the CV axle from the intermediate axle, if they typically get stuck to one another, or any other tips to get these two apart and install the new CV axle.

Since I posted the above, I've tried to remove the axle from the intermediate bearing/shaft. I've tried to pry it and knock it off with a makeshift drift & hammer. It's not budging.

Any tips are certainly appreciated.

Cheers,
JT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: got the CV axle removed. It took persuasion from a pry bar + drilling hammer. And there is a snap ring on the intermediate shaft's CV joint end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts