Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought a used 09 with the sun and sound BA package.

previous owner installed a pioneer deh-s5120bt head deck but only the front door speakers are working.

I haven’t been into the dash yet to see what’s going on in there.
I’ve been through all the menu settings and the initial settings to try and work it out but no luck.

Any simple things I can check before taking the dash apart?
Cheers
B

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check to see if the stereo was installed with a wiring interface.

Like this one:
PAC RP4-CH11 Wiring Interface Connect a new car stereo and retain factory steering wheel audio controls, entertainment system, and amp in select 2004-up Chrysler models at Crutchfield

The OEM amplifier, that is located on the back near the spare tire, controls the balance of the speakers. It needs a signal from the factory stereo to do this. A module, like the PAC CH11 or from idatalink, is needed to retain factory controls with a new stereo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check to see if the stereo was installed with a wiring interface.

Like this one:
PAC RP4-CH11 Wiring Interface Connect a new car stereo and retain factory steering wheel audio controls, entertainment system, and amp in select 2004-up Chrysler models at Crutchfield

The OEM amplifier, that is located on the back near the spare tire, controls the balance of the speakers. It needs a signal from the factory stereo to do this. A module, like the PAC CH11 or from idatalink, is needed to retain factory controls with a new stereo.
So if the unit was installed with a cheap harness and no interface, the amp wouldn’t get a signal therefore limiting the use of the speakers?
I noticed yesterday also the steering wheel controls don’t work either.

I’m going to try and make a Bluetooth call through the system, apparently one solution is that it gets stuck in Bluetooth call mode (???) and only plays through the front speakers.
The other thing I’ll try is the microprocessor reset behind the faceplate.

ive also noticed there is a bit of tape or something by the steering wheel maybe indicating that a microphone used to be mounted there.
Lady has the car at work today so I’ll check it out tonight

·
Registered
24 Posts
That’s correct, it might be missing the module interface or wired incorrectly.

Worst case, the amplifier is the problem. Although, you would get no sound if it was bad. It receives front left and right sound from the stereo and uses that to push sound to all speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s correct, it might be missing the module interface or wired incorrectly.

Worst case, the amplifier is the problem. Although, you would get no sound if it was bad. It receives front left and right sound from the stereo and uses that to push sound to all speakers.
Alright, opened the dash and the wiring is all sorts of messed up. Buddy’s even done some splicing in the vehicle harness. Couldn’t be a worse job. I’m gonna have to take it to a professional I think. At least the front speakers work for now, when I have the cash to do apple CarPlay I’ll just have the whole system fixed properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Figuring out what was cut/spliced or what goes where with wires is a mess. Definitely something a pro installer can sort out. Good to hear you found the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts