Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my jeep on 4/28 automatic CVT transmission but everything inside it is completely manual I don't even think it has cruise control it has 137,xxx miles and a couple questions I have about so far about it;

1. My cooling needle comes very close to the halfway mark while I'm driving and has never went over the "H" side yet, but is it suppose to be that close to the halfway mark or is it normal?

2. I only have 1 cigarette lighter plug if I order a double cigarette lighter adapter think it will blow a fuse if I use them both?

3. I notice a light white smoke coming from my exhaust either, when I accelerate or put it in to reverse..Should I be worried or no...

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
Welcome to the group! The temp gauge needle should be near the center, perfectly normal. You probably won't blow the fuse unless you are drawing more than 20amps in total, so if you're just wanting to charge 2 phones, or charge one phone and run a radar detector/dash cam/etc. you'll be fine. As far as the smoke... is it actually smoke or could it be steam? Steam would be perfectly normal, since the catalytic converter converts carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide and water.

A bit of advice, since you've got a CVT transmission. Get the fluid and both transmission filters replaced as soon as you can, unless you know it's been done quite recently. They need to be replaced every 50-60k miles minimum. Also, the spark plugs are only good for 30k miles, and when they start to go bad they can make it feel like the transmission is slipping, among other things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the group! The temp gauge needle should be near the center, perfectly normal. You probably won't blow the fuse unless you are drawing more than 20amps in total, so if you're just wanting to charge 2 phones, or charge one phone and run a radar detector/dash cam/etc. you'll be fine. As far as the smoke... is it actually smoke or could it be steam? Steam would be perfectly normal, since the catalytic converter converts carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide and water.

A bit of advice, since you've got a CVT transmission. Get the fluid and both transmission filters replaced as soon as you can, unless you know it's been done quite recently. They need to be replaced every 50-60k miles minimum. Also, the spark plugs are only got for 30k miles, and when they start to go bad they can make it feel like the transmission is slipping, among other things.
Ok thanks I'll do that. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
7,729 Posts
I just purchased my jeep on 4/28 automatic CVT transmission but everything inside it is completely manual I don't even think it has cruise control it has 137,xxx miles and a couple questions I have about so far about it;

1. My cooling needle comes very close to the halfway mark while I'm driving and has never went over the "H" side yet, but is it suppose to be that close to the halfway mark or is it normal?

2. I only have 1 cigarette lighter plug if I order a double cigarette lighter adapter think it will blow a fuse if I use them both?

3. I notice a light white smoke coming from my exhaust either, when I accelerate or put it in to reverse..Should I be worried or no...
Welcome to the forum!

On issues one and three, you may want to check for any bubbles in the coolant and for any brown-ish milky goo on the bottom of the oil filler cap.
If either of these are present, you may have a blown head gasket

Automotive tire Gas Fluid Rim Auto part

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,293 Posts
Welcome to the site! I agree with all the above.

Re: #1, that's where the temp rides on both my Patriots -- a little shy of 1/2 way.

Re: #2, I had a splitter on my '08 so I could leave my Garmin plugged in and charge my phone at the same time. Never had a problem. Even if, fuses are cheap.

Re: #3, smoke while accelerating or while shifting could be a sign of bad rings. Maybe the previous owner went too far between changes? I'd say keep a close eye on the dipstick. If you can make it by adding no more than a quart between oil changes, I wouldn't worry. My '08 started using a little oil around 250,000. It's over 300,000 now and no rebuild.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the site! I agree with all the above.

Re: #1, that's where the temp rides on both my Patriots -- a little shy of 1/2 way.

Re: #2, I had a splitter on my '08 so I could leave my Garmin plugged in and charge my phone at the same time. Never had a problem. Even if, fuses are cheap.

Re: #3, smoke while accelerating or while shifting could be a sign of bad rings. Maybe the previous owner went too far between changes? I'd say keep a close eye on the dipstick. If you can make it by adding no more than a quart between oil changes, I wouldn't worry. My '08 started using a little oil around 250,000. It's over 300,000 now and no rebuild.
Thanks will do.I need to YouTube on how to check and change my oil.

·
Registered
2016 Latitude 2x4, 5 speed manual
44 Posts
if the car is warmed up then yes, you should be very worried about white smoke. white smoke is usually steam and can mean you have a cracked block, water from the cooling system leaking into the engine and getting burned. If your oil is milky white that means there is water in your oil. the catalytic converter produces water as well and usually presents itself as water dripping from the tail pipe while the exhaust is cold but once warmed up the small amount of water gets burned off in the muffler and its not enough to see steam. so if the warmed up car is blowing white smoke you have a problem.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot, 2.4L, 6 speed auto transmission
55 Posts

A bit of advice, since you've got a CVT transmission. Get the fluid and both transmission filters replaced as soon as you can, unless you know it's been done quite recently. They need to be replaced every 50-60k miles minimum. Also, the spark plugs are only good for 30k miles, and when they start to go bad they can make it feel like the transmission is slipping, among other things.
Not sure how accurate what I have been told by many is but here goes.
When it comes to maintaining automatic transmissions, I 've been advised to never have it flushed. Just change the filter and drain and replace the fluid. Another mechanic told me to retain the old fluid until you have verified your tyranny is working correctly after the change. If problems have appeared, drain the new fluid and put the old fluid back in. Never heard that before but he was adamant about not disposing of the old right away. My Patriot is a 6 speed auto with 38k miles so I have a little ways to go before I find out if any of that info is needed.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
No need to flush, and no need to keep your old fluid, especially if you replace it on time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts