Jeep Patriot Forums banner

2008 patriot wiring diagram

42K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  KingRanchAZ 
#1 ·
I have found 2 wires (1 black and 1 red) hanging down thru the oil filter hole in the underneath plastic cover. Anyone know what they are for? I have put a meter on them and they read -4.0 volts dc when the vehicle is running and nothing when iit is off. They are approx. 6 inches long and go back to a connector that goes into the wiring harness.

#3 ·
Have no clue

Today I pulled the plastic cover and tried to follow but could only tell it went into the wiring harness. The 2 wires go to a connector and on the other side of the connector the wires are blue and black each with a white strip on them. Thought maybe if I could find a wiring schematic I could see what they are. I did notice today that when I turned the car off the 4 volts was still there until I heard this relay click which is in a box down behind the bumper below the battery. After the ignition is turned off the relay would click and the 4 volts to 0 after about 5 seconds. Guess I need to purchase a Chilton Maintenance manual with the wiring schematic.

#4 ·
There is a site called Home Grown Patriot by Nearly Normal Jimmy. Unfortunately it is not online right now so we may need to wait and see. Not sure Chilton has a manual available.

#5 ·
The wires were solid color and loose ended?
All of the factory wiring has a striped wire (from what I have seen).

Can you take a picture or describe exactly where the connector is?
It will make tracking the circuit down much easier.

#6 ·
Yes, the wires are solid black and red and are lose ended. I will try and take a picture. The connector is hanging right beside the oil filter and the lose ended wires are hanging out the hole in the plastic pan where you access the oil filter. That is how I noticed them.

#8 ·
Looking at the Ground Splice diagram, I'd maybe guess the Solenoid-A/C Compressor? (lower left part of the diagram).

Attachments

#9 ·
Funny you should say that because listen to this. The AC quit working about a week ago. My wife took it to the dealer and they said the compressor was bad so they have ordered a new one. My wife noticed the wires hanging down as they drove it inside to look at it. She asked them about it and they didn't know what they were. That was my suspicion. Yesterday I even put my meter on the wires and turned the AC on just to see if the voltage jumped up but it stayed the same. It is to go to the dealer Tuesday to get the new compressor installed. It will be interesting to see what happens, may not be the compressor after all. At least this is all being done under warranty. lol

#11 ·
My wife did have the oil changed at the dealer several weeks ago and the AC quit about a week after that. I usually do all the maintenance on our cars but the wife wanted to let the dealer do all the maintenance just so there was no issues with warranties. I am very mechanically inclined and will check it when she gets back. She is gone at the moment and when she gets back I am gonna pull the plastic pan again and see if the wires have been pulled out of the connector going to the compressor. I find it hard to believe that when she took it to the dealer for the AC issue that they just said it was the compressor without doing some sort of investigation and that they had no idea what the wires were for that were hanging down from underneath. If I find today that the wires go to the compressor and have been pulled out of the connector, I will be on the phone tomorrow morning! :banana:

#12 ·
Hey... dealers have left oil caps off when changing oil. That they accidentally pull wires (that's what they look like... pulled/yanked wires) while changing the filter wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.

#13 ·
You are exactly correct. They do look like pulled wires. Even on the insulation about an 1/8th of an inch up it looks like where the pin was crimped around the insulation. That is excatly what I told my wife. Guess I should have put 2 and 2 todgether. Still find it hard to believe that they would order a compressor when it is only wires. Oh well I will know later today and will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the drawing and all your help!:smiley_thumbs_up:

Would it be possible for you to email the drawing to me so I can blow it up?

sacredhills@hotmail.com

Thanks again

#17 ·
Armando,

I have a copy of the engine schematics for the 2008 Patriot engine system. It is over 5 megabytes so I will need an email address to send it to you because this forum limits the size of files you can upload. It is in PDF format.
(unless someone here know how to shrink it and still be able to read it!)

Let me know.

Sam

#23 ·
hello i have a 2007 jeep patriot and my pcm plug has one wire that cant stay connected it keep coming out and i was wondering if you had a diagram for the plug it self on the engine side it goes to the idle air control valve and its not staying connected i can't find one on line to get and was wondering if there's a diagram for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.