Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my oil changed on my 2008 Jeep Patriot. I then drove out of town yesterday 200 miles. I went to pickup a pizza later last night and my Jeep started to be sluggish hesitate when accelerating.
It was fine once I was at speed, but it almost felt the gears were not shifting.
Happened today too and I have to drive back tomorrow.
Jiffy Lube told me they didn't check the transmission fluid due to the fact there is no Dipstick. Can I add some and what type to see if that helps?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,077 Posts
If the spark plugs are factory style and haven't been changed in the last 30k miles, I'd start there; worn plugs can cause what you're experiencing. Plugs are cheap and easy to change.

And if the trans fluid/filters have not been changed in the last 50k, I'd get that done ASAP.

·
Administrator
8,077 Posts
I wouldn't add extra fluid without knowing how much is already in there.

If you don't have the aftermarket dipstick you could try using the engine oil dipstick, and scribe millimeter marks on it.

It works for some but others say the dipstick is too short and doesn't reach all the way to the bottom of the transmission pan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
I bought a generic dipstick....it seemed very low...I added a third of a bottle and ran smooth back into town. No problems at all today!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happy New Year...
Now I am having the same problem. It seems to clear up for a bit when I add new fluid in the transmission.
I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they said I had some electrical issues that caused the light to come on.....and it would have to do with the jerkiness....I asked them to check the transmission fluid...they said I used the wrong type! OMG after calling them....going to auto zone and looking online they all said use that atf....now they say I have a crv transmission and I could have damaged it by using the wrong type....although the problem happened before I used the fluid.....argghhhh!

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,292 Posts
A 2008 will be a CVT. Using anything but CVT fluid can destroy the trans pretty quick. If that's the case, I believe you'll need a full trans flush.

Reactions: Ignatz
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.