Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my oil changed on my 2008 Jeep Patriot. I then drove out of town yesterday 200 miles. I went to pickup a pizza later last night and my Jeep started to be sluggish hesitate when accelerating.
It was fine once I was at speed, but it almost felt the gears were not shifting.
Happened today too and I have to drive back tomorrow.
Jiffy Lube told me they didn't check the transmission fluid due to the fact there is no Dipstick. Can I add some and what type to see if that helps?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
6,857 Posts
If the spark plugs are factory style and haven't been changed in the last 30k miles, I'd start there; worn plugs can cause what you're experiencing. Plugs are cheap and easy to change.

And if the trans fluid/filters have not been changed in the last 50k, I'd get that done ASAP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...
I smelled a burning smell slightly a couple days ago....spark plugs were changed recently.

·
Administrator
6,857 Posts
I wouldn't add extra fluid without knowing how much is already in there.

If you don't have the aftermarket dipstick you could try using the engine oil dipstick, and scribe millimeter marks on it.

It works for some but others say the dipstick is too short and doesn't reach all the way to the bottom of the transmission pan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
I bought a generic dipstick....it seemed very low...I added a third of a bottle and ran smooth back into town. No problems at all today!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts