Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased the vehicle my high beams were working and then they eventually stopped working about a year later. I purchased a switch, re-manufactured TIPM, changed out relays, bought new headlights, and replaced both headlight connectors. I still have the same issue. I checked wires for power and both headlight high beam wires are getting power. I was wondering if the clock spring may be the culprit. Also could I possible hard wire a toggle switch directly to the headlights to activate the high beams as a fix? Any ideas or answers would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
287 Posts
Could be a bad module. If the headlights are grounded by a module like the CCN than you'll have power at the lights but still no light if it's not commanded on.

You need a scan tool with live data for all-systems to see if the lights are being commanded on. If you know your switch is good but the module doesn't see switch set to on than there's a good chance that either the wire that connects the two has an issue or that the module that control the signal for the lights (which I believe is the CCN) is bad. If it's being commanded on in the live data like it should, than that means that the ground wire is loose/corroded/broken.

And yes, in theory you could just connect a toggle switch. You may get a manufacturer specific code (if you don't have one already) but it's not doing anything different than switching the circuit it ground with the module anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the CCN be the PCM module?
Could be a bad module. If the headlights are grounded by a module like the CCN than you'll have power at the lights but still no light if it's not commanded on.

You need a scan tool with live data for all-systems to see if the lights are being commanded on. If you know your switch is good but the module doesn't see switch set to on than there's a good chance that either the wire that connects the two has an issue or that the module that control the signal for the lights (which I believe is the CCN) is bad. If it's being commanded on in the live data like it should, than that means that the ground wire is loose/corroded/broken.

And yes, in theory you could just connect a toggle switch. You may get a manufacturer specific code (if you don't have one already) but it's not doing anything different than switching the circuit it ground with the module anyway.
Would the CCN be the PCM?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here's what the FSM says, which concurs with LouOfTheJeep:

1. Ineffective EMIC (CCN) inputs or outputs.​
1. Use a diagnostic scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information for further EMIC diagnosis.​
2. Ineffective TIPM inputs or outputs.​
2. Use a diagnostic scan tool to test the TIPM inputs and outputs. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.​

1 - 6 of 6 Posts