Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked all the wiring to my left high beam and everything is fine. I checked the TIPM and saw that there is voltage coming out to power my high beams but they still don't work. Trying to find a solution to this problem. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,381 Posts
If you have output from the TIPM, and the bulb isn't bad, then it's a continuity problem from the TIPM connector to the bulb i.e. broken wire under the insulation, bad crimp, corrosion, bad bulb socket, etc. or a problem with the ground connection.

If you're not sure how to proceed you may want to consider taking it to a shop, or having someone come help you.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had a similar problem about 2 years ago and it ended up being a bod socket where it plugs into the bulb.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The hi and low beams share a common ground, that's why there's only 3 wires going to the light socket, so I don't think it would be a ground issue, at least from the socket back to the TIPM, but I could be mistaken.

·
Super Moderator
5,381 Posts
You're correct, I added checking the ground in as an afterthought because the OP had mentioned in another thread (IIRC) that someone had modified the wiring, so maybe "ground" isn't what it should be.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you I will check continuity on my left side high beam wire that goes to the connector in the TIPM. I know my right side high beam wire is not connected to anything right now. I read that they both operate on different circuits.

·
Registered
819 Posts
You're correct, I added checking the ground in as an afterthought because the OP had mentioned in another thread (IIRC) that someone had modified the wiring, so maybe "ground" isn't what it should be.
Yeah, if someone's screwed with the wiring then you never know what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the wire the high beam wire on the left side for continuity at the TIPM left side high beam output connector and found resistance within that wire. I back probed both connectors at each end. So I decided to test sections of the wire and found 1 ohm of resistance. I think if I repair that it may correct the issue? Is 1 ohm resistance mean that electricity cannot flow through the wire? Thank you

·
Registered
819 Posts
1 ohm isn't much at all. Usually people put 1 ohm resistors in if they are running HID or LED bulbs... 1 ohm might make a halogen bulb slightly dimmer than normal, but it should still work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If there is voltage coming out of the TIPM for the high beam output wire does that mean that the TIPM still works properly?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, plan on replacing the connector that goes into the TIPM. Hopefully that will work

1 - 14 of 14 Posts