Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When accelerating my 2007 Patriot Limited FWD will pull to the left. I have to turn the wheel to about 1 o'clock to offset the torque steering. When off the accelerator the vehicle drives straight.

The History:
I have new-ish tires with less than 10k on them. Even wear and properly inflated. I have replaced both front lower control arms, both struts, strut mounts, and bellows. I had an alignment and everything was perfect.

One day I accelerated, normally, after a stop light and it felt like I was skating. The Patriot was pulling left when on the accelerator. When I let off there was no torque steering. I understand, with front wheel drive, there will be nominal torque steer when mashing it. This is not the case, it pulls just as hard when I gradually accelerate or if I put the petal to the metal.

I have checked the engine mounts and they appear to be acceptable as the engine does not move too bad when revving in neutral. I did notice a tear in the right (passenger) CV drive axle. So I replaced that and the steering knuckle and hub, since I could not get the CV axle out of the hub assembly without damaging it. After replacing, I still have the same issue. I have replaced all front-end suspension components and running out of ideas.

Should I also replace the left CV axle or do you think this could be something more related to a steering component?

What I've replaced:
  • Left Lower Control Arm and Ball Joint
  • Right Lower Control Arm and Ball Joint
  • Left Strut Assembly
  • Right Strut Assembly
  • Right CV Drive Axle Shaft
  • Right Steering Knuckle and Hub Assembly
  • New Tires and properly inflated

I know there are other posts in the forum regarding this type of issue but I have not come across a resolution. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,123 Posts
Many Patriots have had premature ball joint problems. That looks like one of the few things you haven't gotten to.

Oh, and welcome to the site. :) Please hop on over to the newbie threads and introduce yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ignatz! I will have to make my way other there.

I appreciate your suggestion. I should have mentioned that new ball joints were included in the lower control arms. I will update the original post to reflect this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, this sounds exactly like what I have been experiencing (2009 Jeep Pat, 2.4L, FWD only (no 4WD or AWD), manual 5-spd trans). Tires are good, evenly worn, and everything on the front end from the original parts has been replaced (entire strut assemblies including springs and all associated parts, lower control arms, stabilizer bar end links, and outer tie rod ends). I just finished replacing the strut assemblies and end links, took it in for alignment, wasn't that far off to start with - even the non-adjustable camber and caster were within spec. Only thing off was the front toe, which was re-set perfectly to specification. I drove out of the shop, and the torque steer is still very pronounced. Even on gentle acceleration, the steering wheel kicks sharply to the left, then kicks back to the right and centers itself as soon as the throttle is lifted.

I had attributed this condition to very worn struts and possibly bad alignment, but now all the bits are replaced and it's well-aligned, and it still is noticeable. I don't remember the car behaving like this previously as various worn suspension components were replaced, nor when the car was new (although it was a long time ago to remember). Torque steer on foot-to-the floor acceleration - yes, this kind of wonky, twitchy behavior with small throttle adjustments - I don't think this is supposed to be normal.

So my question is, you said for you it was the tier rods that were bad - did you replace the inner or the outer ones, or both ?

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,123 Posts
Seems most FWD vehicles have this to some degree. It was pretty strong on my Grand Prix; not really noticeable on either of our Patriots. Don't recall on any of my GM A-bodies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
An update on my strong torque steer problem. I went in for the NY State inspection today, and got failed for having the front left lower control arm being worn out. Both of the factory original Jeep front LCAs were replaced 4 yrs ago because of bad ball joints (imagine that ?). They were replaced with the premium Mevotech LCAs (Part #CMS25188 and CMS25189). These were ones with a greaseable ball joint, which I expected to last a lot longer than the sealed and known-to-be-crappy OEM ball joint.

But, it wasn't the ball joint that was called out - instead it was the front control arm bushing that was worn out, with a lot of free play. So I paid ~ $100 each for what I hoped would be a better part that would last the rest of the life of the car (as the OEM should have in the first place). I heard good things about the Mevotech parts, but it ended up by failing out in the same period of time (4-5 yrs and ~ 60 K miles) as the crappy original one, albeit not because the ball joint wore out.

I'm disappointed that the most stressed part of the whole thing (the ball joint) held up, but a simple rubber compression bushing didn't. Also disappointed that the guys at Firestone who did the alignment after replacing the front struts/springs, didn't notice that the LCA was wobbly like that. They usually say before doing an alignment, they go over the whole car, grab each susp part and give it a good tug to make sure everything is solid before starting - since there's no point wasting a customer's money on an alignment job that doesn't hold because parts are worn. And it also gives them the opportunity to sell a customer some extra parts/work, so it's in their interest to do a thorough check before aligning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts