Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
A lot of people have not had good luck with the CVT transmission. I think the root of the problem is that the CVT requires more frequent maintenance than the schedule in the owners manual. My first CVT didn't make it to the first scheduled service. Typically I suggest that people change the fluid and filters twice as often.

So when I see someone that has had good luck with their transmission, I like to be sure everyone knows. Really, I think most people are happy with their Patriots, but forums like this attract people with problems.
Ive had my patriot since about 186 000 miles and haven't done or had done any service to the CVT... should I be doing that soon? I'm gonna try to message the original owner to make sure she didn't replace the CVT but im 90% sure it's the original

·
Super Moderator
8,717 Posts
Ive had my patriot since about 186 000 miles and haven't done or had done any service to the CVT... should I be doing that soon?
Regardless of the owners manual, the CVT should be serviced every 50,000 miles. The people who had trouble were the ones who believed the owners manual. By FCA's definition, almost every Patriot is in severe service.

·
Super Moderator
8,717 Posts
So i should... if I get the oil changed after it being worn, won't it start to slip?
I don't know what makes them slip, but I presume it is because old lubricant has failed to protect the belt and it disintegrates. New lubricant shouldn't cause problems -- if anything it should help.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts