Jeep Patriot Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,421 Posts
I was thinking the same thing... in my area it’s btwn 300-400 bucks for that service and it saved my CVT at about 130k, it was redlining constantly. And now I’m at 202k and planning to get to 250k:)
Welcome Sunflower, that's great news, thanks for sharing!

·
8,307 Posts
I was thinking the same thing... in my area it’s btwn 300-400 bucks for that service and it saved my CVT at about 130k, it was redlining constantly. And now I’m at 202k and planning to get to 250k:)
Welcome! Please drop by the newbie threads and introduce yourself. Nice bunch we've got on here.

As for those cheap prices, my guess is that they just changed out the fluid and not the filters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ahh, so you were comparing 30 year old transmissions to modern CVTs, got it.
I need a lot more info before I sign off on the CVT. BIL had 2014 Patriot two wheel drive with a 2.0 liter with four speed auto. Basic maintenance. Finally traded it toward a new Patriot this fall. 175,000 + miles. No plug changes or transmission fluid changes. Just gas and go. Wife has a Patriot Latitude with 2.4 engine and CVT tranny, four wheel drive, 32,000 miles. Evaporative system died this month requiring $850 in repairs. Fuel mileage has always been 16-20 mpg never better on a trip. New air filter every year, plugs just done (32,000). Now CVT tranny is starting to hunt for correct gear when under load or acceleration. RPM’s are up and do constantly. Engine speed is supposed to be 1800 at 55 mph. Won’t stay there for more than 30 seconds on level road. I think it’s time for something new. Not another Jeep.

·
8,307 Posts
A four-speed a/t? I didn't know one was offered for the Patriot. No maintenance for 175,000 miles? While that's an admirable number without repairs, he's lucky it hasn't disintegrated!

I have a 2014 Patriot with a 5-spd manual and so far only a wheel bearing last month -- no other repairs. Its at 130,000. I fully expect it to make 200,000. Probably gonna be a few years before I've got the right to be back in this thread.

As for yours, while early, changing the tranny fluid and filters might be all it needs.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's interesting in what Rtrom wrote in this and another post about Patriot. Interesting in that a few days ago I was reading the Consumer Reports guide on 2020 vehicles, that also gave their used car guide. To my surprise CR listed the 14-15 Patriot to stay away from. Now I always had the mindset of the early Patriots to stay away from, like 07-09, but those years were not mentioned. The CR report did mention the CVT as a weak spot. As a previous 13 Patriot owner and currently a 15 Patriot owner, both have CVTs and I haven't had a problem past or present with the CVT. Not sure what the quality control was on the line in Belvedere, but it's possible a few Pats/Compass/Darts snuck thru that weren't up to snuff.

·
8,307 Posts
It's interesting in what Rtrom wrote in this and another post about Patriot. Interesting in that a few days ago I was reading the Consumer Reports guide on 2020 vehicles, that also gave their used car guide. To my surprise CR listed the 14-15 Patriot to stay away from. Now I always had the mindset of the early Patriots to stay away from, like 07-09, but those years were not mentioned. The CR report did mention the CVT as a weak spot. As a previous 13 Patriot owner and currently a 15 Patriot owner, both have CVTs and I haven't had a problem past or present with the CVT. Not sure what the quality control was on the line in Belvedere, but it's possible a few Pats/Compass/Darts snuck thru that weren't up to snuff.
I think the reason the CVT got a bad rap is because the owners manual seems to suggest it doesn't need to be serviced until 100,000 miles except if used in severe service. Most people read that and think I don't use my Patriot as a taxi, nor in other hard-use applications, so I'm good to go for a long while. The problem is the definition of 'severe service' includes conditions like being used below 32F. That means most Patriots qualify for the shorter interval (50-60,000 miles). So a lot of Patriots didn't get their service when they should have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I actually thought I'd checked in here a long while back, but it seems I never actually posted in this thread. At the urging of @Ignatz, I thought I'd stop in briefly to say hello to all the other 200k Patriot owners out there. Unfortunately, I'm a bit late, as my 2007 Patriot and I actually passed through the 200,000s a month or so ago, and I'm sitting at just above 303k miles. There's no way I'd have reached this point without a healthy assist from the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, but other than a couple of major repairs, my vehicle has been extremely reliable.

I didn't see any threads for a 300,000 mile club, so I'll go ahead and start one (also at Ignatz's suggestion). I'll summarize some of the repairs and work I've had done in that post. Congrats to everyone who made it here, and happy trails to those Patriots that gave it all they could. Hopefully I'll see some of you over at the new thread!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice to hear. We're getting a crowd in the 200,000 mile range. :) I hope all those whiners that thing Patriots are a bucket of bolts know about this thread.

I racked up a lot of miles the first few years visiting my late Father in Maine. That was an additional 300 miles every week for a couple years. Worth the trip, wish I could still do it.

My CVT was replaced at 110,000 miles under warranty but I've got more than that on the replacement and so far no problems. I've noticed that I have to add a quart of oil between changes which must indicate some wear on the cylinder walls or rings. (That is consistent with my former Pontiac). I've been faithful on my oil changes so I'm optimistic that its good for a while longer.
What kind of warranty got you a new transmission at 110K miles?

·
8,307 Posts
What kind of warranty got you a new transmission at 110K miles?
Mine was a 2008. Jeep was desperate to stay in business at that time. They were giving the lifetime warranty free with any purchase. They replaced my tranny at 110,000 and again at 270,000. Both times free-for-nothin'. :)

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD
20 Posts
200K on my 2016 will outlast me, I believe. I have 33k on it now only putting 3K on it each year. Congrats!

101 - 111 of 111 Posts