Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I hit the 200,000 mile milestone on my way home from work. I wonder how many others have hit this with their Patriot. If might be worth putting a sticky up if an admin wants to.

I've had mine on the road since Nov. of 2010 so not quite 6 years and almost every mile has been put on going up and down a mountain pass in Colorado. It's all highway mileage but it's tough highway mileage especially in the winter months. I'm on my 3rd transmission without around 30,000 miles on it and I went through a period of several weeks being in and out of the dealership as they tried to diagnose what ended up being an electrical problem with the wiring harness. I bought the added care plus warranty when I purchased the Patriot so I can't complain too much about the repairs. Jeep warranty has stood behind anything that's gone wrong with it. This is a great vehicle in the snow, gets great gas mileage and the engine is super durable. At this point I'm keeping it for as long as it last and I could easily see getting 300,000 out of it.
I've been impressed enough with the Patriot that I purchased a loaded Cherokee Trailhawk at the end of July. I still plan on using the Patriot for my 100 mile round trip commute on most days but I'll drive the Cherokee enough that the miles will rack up a little slower on the Patriot now.

Anyone else want to chime in on their 200k experience? 200k.jpg

·
8,433 Posts
Ignatz is at 226,000. I went to the FCA owners website and reported my odomoter reading. They sent me a congratulatory letter and a free 200,000 mile club license plate frame.

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2012/06/12/joining-the-high-milers-club/

As for Ignatz's repair history, he blew the tranny at 110,000. I've got more than that on the replacement and no problems with it.
I had the harness problem. My break was below the battery. Where was yours? I kinda wondering if this is a common weak point in the harness.
Just passed state inspection a week or so ago, so the little guy is good for another year. :Racing:

·
Registered
389 Posts
It'll go forever if you keep putting transmissions in it. Any modern day car will go 200k+ if you are willing to replace the trans or engine when it fails. If someone has one that's gone 200k without an engine or trans replacement, that'd be better. Our beater Impala has 242k on it, original engine and trans, runs like a champ.

·
8,433 Posts
It'll go forever if you keep putting transmissions in it. Any modern day car will go 200k+ if you are willing to replace the trans or engine when it fails. If someone has one that's gone 200k without an engine or trans replacement, that'd be better. Our beater Impala has 242k on it, original engine and trans, runs like a champ.
First off, I neglected to congratulate Pacerized on his achievement. Congratulations, Dude! :beerchug:

CraveSingletrack, is that Impala with the 3.8? I had the 3.8 in my dear departed Pontiac (the Batmobile). Transmission was getting real clunky at about 240,000 and the ignition module went south at about 248,000. I'd hoped to get it to 250,000 but figured it wasn't worth that kind of money. I donated it to Good News Garage and they got the necessary parts donated and installed with volunteer labor and the ol' Batmobile is still on the road!

Sooner or later anything wears out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ignatz is at 226,000. I went to the FCA owners website and reported my odomoter reading. They sent me a congratulatory letter and a free 200,000 mile club license plate frame.

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2012/06/12/joining-the-high-milers-club/

As for Ignatz's repair history, he blew the tranny at 110,000. I've got more than that on the replacement and no problems with it.
I had the harness problem. My break was below the battery. Where was yours? I kinda wondering if this is a common weak point in the harness.
Just passed state inspection a week or so ago, so the little guy is good for another year. :Racing:
I thought there may be a few people with more miles than I have.
Thanks for the info on FCA, I just sent them an e mail.
My harness issue was at the bottom of the firewall near the gas pedal. It took forever to find but once it was I haven't had the issue return.
I've had other more minor things. Replaced the cat, tie rods, ball joints, throttle body and some sensors. Normal for wear type stuff for this mileage. I'd recommend the lifetime warranty to anyone planning on keeping their vehicle long term.

·
8,433 Posts
I thought there may be a few people with more miles than I have.
Thanks for the info on FCA, I just sent them an e mail.
My harness issue was at the bottom of the firewall near the gas pedal. It took forever to find but once it was I haven't had the issue return.
I've had other more minor things. Replaced the cat, tie rods, ball joints, throttle body and some sensors. Normal for wear type stuff for this mileage. I'd recommend the lifetime warranty to anyone planning on keeping their vehicle long term.
I'm frankly amazed my catcon has lasted this long. My throttle body is original too, and I've replaced no sensors.
Yeah, wiring problems are notoriously difficult to find. Mine took several visits. Just last week when I was getting my state inspection the service manager remembered my case and shook her head -- "That was a tough one."

Yes there are some with more miles than us. Seems some have claimed over 300,000 but they seem rather scarce recently. Maybe their Patriots have passed on, or maybe they're too busy driving them to spend time on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
5,658 Posts
Yesterday I hit the 200,000 mile milestone on my way home from work. I wonder how many others have hit this with their Patriot. If might be worth putting a sticky up if an admin wants to.
Congrats on 200k!

I can make this a sticky if you want, or we could look into setting up a new section for high mileage vehicles so each person can start their own thread.

What do you all think?

·
2012 POTY
6,154 Posts
I think keeping it all at one thread is a good idea. This way potential buyers or new owners can come to see what to expect in order to reach such milestone. Listing what has been replaced is really helpful too, maybe throw a ball park cost if done outside of warranty.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm frankly amazed my catcon has lasted this long. My throttle body is original too, and I've replaced no sensors.
Yeah, wiring problems are notoriously difficult to find. Mine took several visits. Just last week when I was getting my state inspection the service manager remembered my case and shook her head -- "That was a tough one."
Mine throws a code for catalytic efficiency about once a year. So far, I've had luck just clearing the code and don't worry about it too much.

And absolutely right about wiring issues. A few years back, I went the easy route when changing a front turn signal bulb entirely by feel, and inadvertently left a few wires out of place. Eventually, the sheet metal rubbed a hole and shorted them out, causing the rear break lights to stop working. I had to take it to the dealer to figure that one out. I had no idea wires would be routed that way and thought it was my ECU.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm getting close. I have about 175,000 on my '08 (bought '07) with the original CVT and engine. Everything runs fine and the engine is healthy according to Blackstone (knock on wood).

·
8,433 Posts
I'm getting close. I have about 175,000 on my '08 (bought '07) with the original CVT and engine. Everything runs fine and the engine is healthy according to Blackstone (knock on wood).
Nice to hear. We're getting a crowd in the 200,000 mile range. :) I hope all those whiners that thing Patriots are a bucket of bolts know about this thread.

I racked up a lot of miles the first few years visiting my late Father in Maine. That was an additional 300 miles every week for a couple years. Worth the trip, wish I could still do it.

My CVT was replaced at 110,000 miles under warranty but I've got more than that on the replacement and so far no problems. I've noticed that I have to add a quart of oil between changes which must indicate some wear on the cylinder walls or rings. (That is consistent with my former Pontiac). I've been faithful on my oil changes so I'm optimistic that its good for a while longer.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice to hear. We're getting a crowd in the 200,000 mile range. :) I hope all those whiners that thing Patriots are a bucket of bolts know about this thread.
Given the current percentage of vehicles that needed one or multiple replacement transmissions to hit 200k, they still have a leg to stand on...

·
8,433 Posts
Given the current percentage of vehicles that needed one or multiple replacement transmissions to hit 200k, they still have a leg to stand on...
Indeed, the news is good! "But much of the data shows that CVTs are leaving owners satisfied. In J.D. Power’s latest Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS), which goes back three model years (2011, in this case), CVT vehicles had the lowest rate of engine/transmission problems." Your Next Vehicle Is More Likely To Have A CVT: Here?s Why - The Washington Post
Just do a search for 'CVT repair record' and you can find lots more stories. I've said before that my CVT failure (110,000) was double what I've gotten out of several conventional automatics. Now I can also tell you that my replacement CVT has gone further than the original (118,000) and its still going strong. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Indeed, the news is good! "But much of the data shows that CVTs are leaving owners satisfied. In J.D. Power’s latest Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS), which goes back three model years (2011, in this case), CVT vehicles had the lowest rate of engine/transmission problems." Your Next Vehicle Is More Likely To Have A CVT: Here?s Why - The Washington Post
Just do a search for 'CVT repair record' and you can find lots more stories. I've said before that my CVT failure (110,000) was double what I've gotten out of several conventional automatics. Now I can also tell you that my replacement CVT has gone further than the original (118,000) and its still going strong. :smiley_thumbs_up:

"The News is good" if you own a shop that replaces CVTS! Quoting Washington Post about cars, or quoting JD Power dependability over 3 years? Hardly proof of anything...

You've have several automatics fail at 55k miles? Either you beat the **** out of your vehicles, or you've had the worst luck on earth, or you drove Daewoos.

Doing a search of "CVT repair record" doesn't bode well for the argument you are making, they are way more costly to repair and aren't showing great longevity. Every automatic I've owned besides the Patriot (because it's new-ish and only has 31k on it) has cleared 175k on the original transmission and engine and were all still functioning when I sold them. And if the trans does "go out" at 110k like your CVT? I can rebuild it for a fraction of what you paid to get a replacement CVT. The reason the vast majority of automatics fail is due to lack of proper maintenance.

·
8,433 Posts
"The News is good" if you own a shop that replaces CVTS! Quoting Washington Post about cars, or quoting JD Power dependability over 3 years? Hardly proof of anything...

You've have several automatics fail at 55k miles? Either you beat the **** out of your vehicles, or you've had the worst luck on earth, or you drove Daewoos.

Doing a search of "CVT repair record" doesn't bode well for the argument you are making, they are way more costly to repair and aren't showing great longevity. Every automatic I've owned besides the Patriot (because it's new-ish and only has 31k on it) has cleared 175k on the original transmission and engine and were all still functioning when I sold them. And if the trans does "go out" at 110k like your CVT? I can rebuild it for a fraction of what you paid to get a replacement CVT. The reason the vast majority of automatics fail is due to lack of proper maintenance.
Nope, I did the maintenance as required. Indeed many automatics did not fail; I could say most did not fail, but some did. I've had about 25 cars over the years. I was a sales rep on the road and always did the maintenance. Basically I managed my car allowance like it was a part-time job and came out well ahead in the long run. The failed transmissions were all GM. Ask anyone with a mid-80's GM tranny and you'll hear about them. I also sold two others with questionable transmissions but asymptomatic at the time of sale. My 2001 Pontiac (250,000 miles) was shifting real harsh so that makes 3 with tranny issues other than total failure. At 250,000 I'm not complaining.

Indeed, google "CVT repair record" and of course there will be a few whiners (like on this forum) but the statistics are generally favorable. I'd certainly buy another.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts