Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -

I think i'm finally going to pull the trigger on a set of 20" wheels, but I need a little help with the tire size.

I see some of the board members with 20" wheels recommend 245/45/20, but I'm wondering if 245/50/20 would fit ok? I want as much side wall as possible to fill the wheelwell.

I ran a comparison on the 1010tires website and the 50 series tire has a diameter of 29.64" versus 28.68 for the 45 series tire. Seems like it would fit based upon diameter...

Results attached

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah....that's kind of been a cross road for me. Speedometer accuracy versus aesthetics.

I guess low-pros are also aesthetically pleasing, but the wheel i'm going for has more "off-road" appeal (KMC Rockstar).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually...looking at your pat kind of sealed the deal on going for 20's... You ever think about lowering it?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
29.5" is fine for stock wheels. Make sure you have the right width/offset for those new wheels to make them fit. Honestly, I'd go for the smaller ones. Tire/wheel weight is going to be a penalty for fuel economy, acceleration and braking.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you brought up the matter of width/offset.

The wheels I plan on using are 8.5 inches wide with a +10mm offset (5.14 inches backspacing). The are intended for the Wrangler, I suppose...but i wanted to use them for that "more aggressive", slightly extending beyond the fender look. In addition, I think the slightly wider track (along with the wider rubber) will help handling considerably.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok gents & ladies ....tires bought. I decided to throw caution to the wind and go for the 245/50/20's. Only 10lbs heavier than the stock 205/70/16 Eagle LS-2's on the stock 16" wheels (24lb's versus 34lb's)....of course, I have no idea about the weight difference between the 16" OEM's and the 20" Rockstars...:-(

I went with Pirelli Scorpion STR's from Discount Tire Direct (through their Ebay store) for $403..after a 10% Ebay Coupon Code I had. Good price for a good tire.

Edit Again: Ok....according to this place (http://exaltmotorsports.com/i-132927-kmc-rockstar-black-20.html)...the 20" Rockstars weigh 36lbs a piece.

Anyone have any idea about the weight of the 16" OEM Steelies?

Yet Another Edit: Wheels ordered... 20x8.5 inch KMC Rockstars (5x4.5 inch bolt pattern, +10mm offset, 5.14" backspacing)... should look BadA$$ (If it all fits like I want?)

Sweeeeet....just received the UPS tracking number for the tires!

·
Registered
618 Posts
nice congras. anxious to see the rockstars on the Pat. that tire size should fill up the wheel well nicely. offset may stick out a bit but Im sure it'll look good

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear you input as well Rdunlap...placed the orders this afternoon. Should have everything by hopefully the end of next week.

I'm was a little worried about the tire size, but in looking at your patriot, I think the 50 series should fit ok.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ALBO, The Rockstars should look great. I was actually considering them myself. Can't wait to see them mounted. Congrats

·
Registered
34 Posts
20's on 245/50 tires

Just got some that are a little different. They are take-offs from a 2008 Ford Edge!! Posting pics in about 12 hours after I get some sleep :zzz:
These were appealing due to their 7.5J width (lighter than 8.5J) and they were already mounted on a tire that took up as much wheel well as i could. You can find the auction in ebay by putting this item number into the search:
After my 10% coupon I got them for $930 shipped!! .. only worry>> 44mm offset

·
Registered
34 Posts
20's on 245/50 tires

Got em on there; cannot turn to full lock so I will be looking for a heat gun tomorrow .. i will be adding the RRO 2" lift next week to give it the full SUV look; only time will tell what this does to my beloved MPG's... more chrome to come soon .. tastefully ;)

All comments welcomed :smiley_thumbs_up:

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet...I was hoping someone had tried that tire size. I just received my tires via UPS yesterday, but am still waiting for the wheels. I'm hoping that with the 10mm offset of my wheels, I can skate by without the fenderwell modifications.

Your Patriot definitely look great! Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I want to put 20" on my patriot and i have few questions.

Garage told me that was the maximum size 245/35/R20 but I saw that you put 50 thick. It is safe or you don't have a stock suspension?

it would be possible to put rims off a 20x10 rear?

And what you think about "spacer" on that?

·
Registered
2 Posts

I realize this thread is far date (back to 2008) but Can anyone tell me what wheels these are? Looking for a manufacturer name and wheel name as well. Really dig the look.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gorilla said:
I realize this thread is far date (back to 2008) but Can anyone tell me what wheels these are? Looking for a manufacturer name and wheel name as well. Really dig the look.
A quick search of 20" wheel threads... Cheers.

"Originally Posted by jeelo"
...whats the rim specs? backspacing, offset?

Curci3 ....

Brand: DZ
Model: Eta
Wheel Size: 20x8.5
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3
Wheel Offset: +40
Wheel Finish: Gloss Black with Chrome Spokes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks I was searching google images with that photo but never gave it a thought on 20" wheels for a search on the site. I just signed up to find out since I couldnt find anything else on the engine search and thru an image search. Most times Im successful that way.

These must be a discontinued wheel as a google search doesnt find much of anything on them. Neither does the Delta Wheel website. Hmmmm?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts