Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2017 I am looking for places to mount the main unit of a radio (6.5"x2.5"x10"), and running power directly from the battery. On my 02 GC there was a cubby hole under the drivers side rear passenger seat that you can pull on the pullstrap to lift the seat for access. Are there any places like that on the MK's? Also are there any easy to access places to run a pair of 12# wires up to the battery w/o punching holes in the firewall?

·
Super Moderator
5,658 Posts
Here's a thread that might be useful:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Greetings!
I am working on the very same issue. So far it looks like two possibilities.

1. I mount the main unit under the seat and run the remote control head to the dash.
2. Mount a smaller transceiver on the passenger side of the center console.

Either way I plan on using the harness that would have been for the power seats (not installed).
Sometime in the future I would like to come up with a backseat console for my HF rig as well as a couple scanners.

73 de K9WG - Richard in beautiful Greenfield Indiana.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Greetings!

1. I mount the main unit under the seat and run the remote control head to the dash.

Either way I plan on using the harness that would have been for the power seats (not installed).
Sometime in the future I would like to come up with a backseat console for my HF rig as well as a couple scanners.

Where is that harness located on your Patriot K9?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greetings!

This installation is from my 02 WJ which is an IC-7000 w/separation cable (currently getting new finals since the previous owner was more concerned with getting a MARS/CAP mod done than actually following up on his SB's), an AH-740, and Comet High-Gain dual bander for antennas using Comet HD lip mounts on the liftgate. I'm pretty sure I'll have to add additional ground straps to keep the common-mode at bay.

The downside to the under the seat route is that there are air ducts under them. Not an issue during the Summer, but the 7000 will not be happy having hot air being blown on it while working DX on 40m. :D

Is there anything under the rear seats??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Where is that harness located on your Patriot K9?
There is a harness under the driver's seat. Mine has a pair of wires that are not connected to the seat. I am pretty sure these are for the power seats (need to confirm by pulling the fuse). Should be 40 amp.

Check this out

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a harness under the driver's seat. Mine has a pair of wires that are not connected to the seat. I am pretty sure these are for the power seats (need to confirm by pulling the fuse). Should be 40 amp.

Check this out

I'll be poking around this weekend. I think I found a spot in the location where the sub amp would be. Also finding a way to run 2 runs of RG-8X, and a tuner control cable.

The HF Antenna

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am really thinking of cutting the holes for a couple of NMO mounts along the top of the liftgate. There are two feed-thru plugs I could run the coax through.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry not holes for me. So far no leaks in my ride so I am not gonna tempt fate. I found a spot for the radio! In the spear tire well there is a spot for the sub-woofer amp that should allow a IC-7000 to fit. A 5100A has room to spare.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry not holes for me
I understand.

I have not had any problems with the NMO mounts. I just removed one off of a trunk lid after four years and there was no sign of water penetration. I figure when I am through I will have at least three antennas mounted. I may also go with a trailer hitch mount for HF. Still trying to work it all out...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Check this out

Any idea where that circuit breaker is? I had 12v on the pins and now I do not. The 40A fuse in the fuse block is good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts