Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
16 Liberty Sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I started tearing into my new project vehicle this morning. I bought a 2016 Jeep Patriot with 96k miles from an auction earlier this week knowing it had a bad engine. I pulled the valve cover this morning and found a broken intake cam at cylinder number 2. Couple questions for the wisdom of the internet: Is this engine an interference engine? I'm finding conflicting info all over the internet (surprise ;)). The big debate is do I pull and replace the engine with a junkyard engine or pull the head and have it machined. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Camshaft Engineering Gas Auto part Machine

Close up of cam bearing and break in cam

Light Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Circle

· Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,470 Posts
That bearing cap got hot. If it were me I'd pull the head and as long as no holes in the piston or damage to the cylinder walls just source a yard head, lap the valves and send it.

· Registered
16 Liberty Sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled the head tonight. I took a close look at 2-3-4 where the intake valves would hit and it doesn't look bad. Pictures posted below. Some carbon buildup on the pistons but for 96k miles it doesn't seem out of whack. At this point, I'm thinking of finding a junkyard head and having a machine shop go through it. Am I missing anything? I don't see any marks where a valve hit a piston.

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Engineering Auto part Tower

Automotive tire Engineering Automotive wheel system Audio equipment Font

Automotive tire Product Automotive wheel system Font Circle

· Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,470 Posts
Maybe it's a glare from the angle of the 1st picture but it looks like the intake valves may have just kissed the #4 piston valve reliefs. Put the plug back in the #4 combustion chamber and fill it with water. If those valves bent it'll leak out. But otherwise it looks good to me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts