Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
looking for some possible causes to loss of power when driving on motorway
going about 70mph and twice in 400 miles the revs have dropped to about 2k and doesnt matter what i do with the throttle car wont go any faster than 40 or 50 mph. i pulled into services engine off back on all ok. car revs fine after restarting and revs will go right up no problem.
this has happened twice now not good on uk motorways. any ideas. cant hear any strange noises when it happens, car has 65k on it. answers much appreciated as to what to look for.
cheers

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
check turbo hoses and try changing the fuel filter.
zooki (also uk member) had the same simptoms and changing the filter solved it.
a split turbo hose gives same simptom.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all
Took the car in got fuel filter replaced, no leaking hoses as far as I am aware,
All seemed well did a 300 mile trip up the motorway to scotland no issues on the motorway plenty of overtaking etc, but then on an A road sharp acceleration and heavy brake the limp mode came back,
The garage did tell me it may be the maf sensor and if it did it again to temporarily unplug it see if it does it again and they will get a jeep maf sensor as they are better than the vw ones,
I will be disconnecting it tomorrow and see if it still happens.
Will update again when I find out more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My pat has been at the dealer for 1 1/2 weeks and I have this same problem. They told me today that is was a bad valve and possibly spring. They want to tear into the engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update on limp mode
been looking on vw websites as diesel engine is vw pd
I found a few things out
sticking turbo vanes and egr valves seems to be a particular problem with vw engine causing overboost(see briskoda limp mode) very informative
I had checked all my pipework for air leaks and couldn't find any neither could my usual garage when they changed my fuel filter
anyway I got some bg244 diesel engine cleaner and added it to my tank of diesel to help clean deposits out I did this the day before I got my engine terracleaned
also got some electrical contact cleaner and disconnected my maf and sprayed it to make sure it was clean and not causing any false readings
but the main thing I did was to get the engine combustion system terracleaned at a garage not too far from me. (have a look online at" terraclean" )
it cleans all the engine combustion system injectors egr valve and turbo etc
special fuel and a cleaner are hooked upto the fuel lines and run for about an hour
after I had this done the car drove like a rocket I was told to take it for a good high rev run to clear all the muck out.
well the car runs well now and quieter and smoother the car pulls through the rev ranges better
took it for a good thrashing up steep hills red lining it to burn up any soot left all seemed fantastic till it went into limp mode again, I took plastic engine cover off and found very loose jubilee clip on large airpipe, the pipes were very slack and causing air leak must have been taken off that day at garage when he terracleaned and he forgot to tighten it back up so hopefully this will be the end to my limp mode
will update again later when I have been for a high speed run, I still have three quarters of a tank of fuel with the bg244 in it
if this hasn't solved the problem I will go down the route of mr muscle oven cleaner as others swear by it but hopefully all is well now.
an obd11 scanner came in the post today i ordered it a week ago and I scanned my car for fault codes this is what it read from freeze frame when car last went into limp
p0234 turbocharger overboost
tp 94.5%
rpm 3214
vss 101kph
iat 38
maf g/s 149.64
load-pct% 99.2
etc 92
map kpa 255
anyone with knowledge of these reading please comment.
thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, mine is the 2.4 gasser, so the engine problems may not be the same, but mine is going into a limp mode the same way. I'm wondering if it's not a speed sensor or transmission issue.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi all
Took the car in got fuel filter replaced, no leaking hoses as far as I am aware,
All seemed well did a 300 mile trip up the motorway to scotland no issues on the motorway plenty of overtaking etc, but then on an A road sharp acceleration and heavy brake the limp mode came back,
The garage did tell me it may be the maf sensor and if it did it again to temporarily unplug it see if it does it again and they will get a jeep maf sensor as they are better than the vw ones,
I will be disconnecting it tomorrow and see if it still happens.
Will update again when I find out more.
Heads up, the Jeep MAF sensors are VW ones and they are both made by BOSCH, just different part numbers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update to my limp mode problem
I did the mr muscle treatment in the exhaust side of the turbo and the sticking variable vanes in the turbo are now free and working perfectly and I havent had any problems with limp mode in nearly 3 years
Just thought it might help someone else out if you get the limp mode problem on diesel pat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just an update to my limp mode problem
I did the mr muscle treatment in the exhaust side of the turbo and the sticking variable vanes in the turbo are now free and working perfectly and I havent had any problems with limp mode in nearly 3 years
Just thought it might help someone else out if you get the limp mode problem on diesel pat.
Was ur limp mode a P0401 code at all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts