Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When coming to a stop, from 10mph down my front driver side brake makes a terrible grinding noise just took both front Wheels off in pads have 75% or more material. Caliper seems to clamp wheel okay, caliper bolts seeming good condition well greased. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot Sport FDI
73 Posts
When coming to a stop, from 10mph down my front driver side brake makes a terrible grinding noise just took both front Wheels off in pads have 75% or more material. Caliper seems to clamp wheel okay, caliper bolts seeming good condition well greased. Any ideas? View attachment 93632 View attachment 93633 View attachment 93634 View attachment 93635
My pads were in similar conditions (mostly there” but the were deglazed (I think that’s the right term) and they were super brittle. Like a bump with a screw driver and parts would chip off. That might be cause the cause of the sound? Is it the front, back, etc? Does it feel like your brakes stutter?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,397 Posts
I would take a wire brush to any part that moves (caliper slides, etc) then hit the rotor and pads with some 100grit sandpaper before giving everything a good spray with brake cleaner. Then lube everything up that should be lubed and reassemble.

·
Registered
46 Posts
originally my pat (bought new) came with organic pads & shoes. at 90k the rotors were finally showing wear. i went to dealership & they sold me magnetti merelli pads & mopar rotors. told me pads are oem replacement. they are not. they are semi metallic & they bite way too hard. (at 90300 now). 1 side bites way harder than the other. i am going back to the stealership to get my money back. think im going napa organic for 1/4 price of dealer organic because their organic shoes worked great for me. good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot High Altitude
25 Posts
Not too sure if you off-road at all but I would recommend trying to clean the brakes with a wire brush and some soap. I took my patriot through a lot of sand and my brakes would make a grinding noise and squeal like crazy. I have to take it to a shop they said they found a ton of sand in there and that’s what was causing the noise. It may be the Same situation as you. Again I’m not too sure but as others have said so far, I think your best bet would be to clean and see if that would work

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too sure if you off-road at all but I would recommend trying to clean the brakes with a wire brush and some soap. I took my patriot through a lot of sand and my brakes would make a grinding noise and squeal like crazy. I have to take it to a shop they said they found a ton of sand in there and that’s what was causing the noise. It may be the Same situation as you. Again I’m not too sure but as others have said so far, I think your best bet would be to clean and see if that would work
You have sand, I have Western NY road salt.

They're clean... I got powerstop rotors and pads for $50 so will just replace, if that doesn't fix it then I can narrow down to caliper or fluid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, this morning I heard it again, so not fixed but is lessened...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts