Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm one of the many members that prefer to lurk rather than contribute to the forum. I felt like switching it up today and sharing some of my experiences when modifying my 'riot though. Hopefully this will be useful to anyone who is looking to increase their tire size and/or down size their rims.

I recently installed 16x8 4" back spaced steel rock crawler rims from pro comp and 245/70/16 General Grabber AT2 tires. I did a substantial amount of research on the forums before purchasing the items but ran into some large speed bumps with the install. You will obviously have some serious rub and will need to cut away some fender plastic and grind down the pinch weld behind it a fair bit. The main problem I ran into however was the rims crushing my rotors. Yes, you heard me right. The steelies only make contact on the outside edge of the rotor so when mine were tightened down, it pulled the centre part of the rotor which wasn't in contact with the rim forward. This caused it to warp and crack, rendering it useless. I figured it was just a bad set of rotors so I bought another pair and the same thing happened. :doh: Instead of destroying a third set, I had 1/4" high grade steel spacers made. These were obviously significantly stronger than the rotors and solved the cracking problem. I also only torque the wheels down to 95 lbs just to be safe. Lastly, after everything was running properly I loaded up my patty wagon (camping gear and 3 other people) and headed off for a camping trip. I live on Vancouver Island and the main highway goes over a large mountain called The Malahat. I had almost reached the top when a light came on telling me my transmission was overheating. I installed a medium-duty transmission cooler from Napa Auto Parts and that has solved that problem.

To summarize, if you plan on installing 29.5" tires on steelies, be prepared to do some substantial plastic and pinch weld removal, possibly reinforce your rotors, and install a transmission cooler if you intend to load it up in any way. Maybe I just got really unlucky with the rotor situation as it seems I am the only one who ran into this problem. I still wanted to share so that people looking to do this modification know the risks, and know how to fix it if it happens. Nonetheless, I love the new look and capability of my 'riot and am so happy I did it. :pepper: I will try to post some pictures of my rotor damage and pinch weld cutting at the end of this post, but no promises because I don't really know how to upload pictures. :p

If those photo's didn't work, here is the link to my photobucket page where you can see everything I intended to post and more.

http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/lukeDKmartin/library/?sort=3&page=1

I don't know if this post will help anyone, but hopefully it will educate people on the possible problems that can occur.

LDKM

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Thanks for your post! (to load the pictures you need the direct link to the photo, not the page the photo is on. Easiest, if you use chrome, right click on the picture, and select "copy image URL" and it will get you the link, in IE, right click on the picture and click on properties, and it will give you the direct link to the picture, that direct link is what you will use to link to the picture)

Somebody else had a similar problem with a set of after market wheels, where it cracked the rotors. For sure it seems important to get a rim that puts even pressure on the rotor, or to get a small spacer made that evens out the pressure.

I run stock rims (17") with 245/65-17's and had to do a lot of the same fender modifications.

what year is your pat?

·
Not Sponsored
6,879 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Sucks to hear about the rotor situation, but atleast you got it worked out now!

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

·
Equal Opportunity Mod
2,482 Posts
That is crazy Luke!! Never came across this type of situation before!!
you had help from your friendly moderator...
No Circles. he had help from his friendly, Super duper moderator!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Can't tell from the lo-res pictures, but, are the wheels hub-centric (as they should be) or lug-centric (as too many steel wheel are) ?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had the same problem. Did you have any issues with the front rotors at all? My problem was coming all from the rear as the rotors are different sizes. I thought someone else would have had to have the same issue. I did the same thing, installed 7/16 inch spacers in the rear. I have a thread started under suspension called "broken rotor mystery."

·
Registered
840 Posts
You're not going to like my suggestion but I think you need to fork out the dough and get different tires, rims & lift. Those aint workin' dude. The rub might put stress on your tire/rim combo which puts weird stress on your rotors. Did you know the rim made contact with the rotors before your rotors cracked?
That's still a sweet wheel/tire combo! have you considered selling them to someone w/a different vehicle?
I often load mine up quite heavy when I go camping. I also got the tranny overheat but fixed it with new fluid.

here's what that same 29" height tire and 16x8 procomp rims look like with a lift and an 800lb camping load with a slightly different spec:

(running a 225/75/16 tire size) tires don't touch the fenders & the rims don't touch the rotors

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Didn't the wheel dealer check for compatibility? Seems the responsible thing to me....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Didn't the wheel dealer check for compatibility? Seems the responsible thing to me....
I did a lot of research with my wheels before purchasing them. found the bolt pattern and backspace I needed that would work. found wheels that would work all on my own. Asked my retailer if I would have problems and they didn't think I would. I know that the crager soft 8 or D window wheels are nearly the same and have seen that combination many times on patriots so i assumed there wouldn't be an issure. i think more people are going to run into this issue as they get more miles on the wheels, the problem gets worse every time you tighten the lugs down like to rotate tires/check brakes...
Where the wheels make contact wouldn't be an issue if the hub behind the rotors were larger in Diameter. No way to check that without disassembling the whole wheel/brake/rotor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jaybee: I have no mechanical back ground at all so I don't know if they're hub-centric or lug-centric

Riot11: Yea it was all in the rear, no problems in the front at all.

Jdog: Yea I realized pretty quickly this wasn't good for the vehicle at all. I'm gonna run it until the tires are done and then down size by a half inch on the next pair. A lift is definitely in the near future though. What kind of fluid did you use to solve the overheat issue?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts