Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Your Neighborhood 2WD Rep
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang -

My new Pat does not have the 430 system that I liked from my first Pat. I just have the regular 130 unit.

I found a decent deal on one on eBay, and was planning to swap it out. From what I have researched it should swap just fine, but wanted to run through the steps to make sure I did not miss anything. Any help would be appreciated, as I know a few people here have done this in the past.

eBay Link: Jeep Chrysler Dodge MyGig 430 RBZ Low Speed Touchscreen Display Radio CD OEM

To make the switch -

remove old radio
put 430 in
use provided antitheft code to activate head unit

then I'm all set right? I do not need to buy any additional wiring because the existing wires from the 130 just plug right in?

My eventual goal is to hook up a backup camera to the headunit, and my assumption is that since this one is from a 2016 Pat that it can receive the backup camera as long as I take it to the dealer and have them activate the backup feature on the unit. Is that correct?

As always, thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable on radio swaps--there's a lot of info on this forum. Regarding the back-up camera, you'd most likely have to run the video feed, along with 12v power from the b/u lamps all the way to the front. Make sure you get that overlay that covers the hatch handle, it has the mount for the camera in it.

Good luck--keep in touch!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Brohio

I swapped my 130 for a 430N in about 10 minutes. Plug and play. Because I opted for navigation, I confirmed my antenna was GPS compatible prior to install. Not sure on the back-up camera component because my 2014 is not pre-wired for that. Cheers.

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,574 Posts
As long as its a low can-bus speed unit (which it looks like it is,) and you get the 4 digit unlock pin from the seller (for post-2011 units, i believe?) Then it should be plug-and-play.

·
Your Neighborhood 2WD Rep
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Brohio

I swapped my 130 for a 430N in about 10 minutes. Plug and play. Because I opted for navigation, I confirmed my antenna was GPS compatible prior to install. Not sure on the back-up camera component because my 2014 is not pre-wired for that. Cheers.
Did you have an existing antenna? Or can the 430N use the sat radio radio antenna as a GPS signal?

The main reason I did not go with a 430N was because I did not want to install another antenna.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Did you have an existing antenna? Or can the 430N use the sat radio radio antenna as a GPS signal?

The main reason I did not go with a 430N was because I did not want to install another antenna.
The only difference I see is the sat radio is mounted on the roof, and the nav is mounted on the forward part of the dash. As both items are in the same wave-length, they will work for each other--now the connectors are a different story--something that will have to be checked--and there are adapters out there. I found one several years ago that connected to my sat radio antenna and then to a gps that required an outside antenna.

·
Registered
144 Posts

My Pat had SAT radio (with the 130). I went to the dealership parts dept and asked for a replacement antenna part number for my VIN. They said there was only one part number, so I was told it would work for both SAT radio and GPS. It did as suggested, with no additional antenna required. Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As long as its a low can-bus speed unit (which it looks like it is,) and you get the 4 digit unlock pin from the seller (for post-2011 units, i believe?) Then it should be plug-and-play.
I just got a 430 for my jeep patriot 2014. I think it must have the high can bus speed unit, because the dash lights freak out when I plug it in. If it was low bus should it work fun just plugging it in?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,321 Posts
I just got a 430 for my jeep patriot 2014. I think it must have the high can bus speed unit, because the dash lights freak out when I plug it in. If it was low bus should it work fun just plugging it in?
It definitely shouldn't make the dash lights do anything funnny, so it's probably a high speed model. But to install any replacement factory radio you'll probably need to get your vehicle programmed for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I'll let you know this weekend. Either after work Friday, or on Saturday, I'll be putting my RBZ in my 16 Patriot. I know mine is a low speed bus.
I've read a post from someone else on the forum that the high speed bus radio made their dash go crazy.
There should be no programming involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It definitely shouldn't make the dash lights do anything funnny, so it's probably a high speed model. But to install any replacement factory radio you'll probably need to get your vehicle programmed for it.
So do you not think I could just plug in a low speed 430 and be good to go?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,321 Posts
So do you not think I could just plug in a low speed 430 and be good to go?
Due to the anti-theft you would need the "new" radio's code, and possibly a dealer to program it in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should be able to plug and play with a low speed bus. You will need the security code for the radio, if the seller doesn't supply it, you will need s dealer visit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, so I just did the swap. I got a RBZ made in 2012 out of a 2013 Avenger.
Totally plug and play. I was fortunate enough to have the ebay seller give me the security code.
The splash screen said Dodge when first turned on, and in seconds switched to Jeep.
Side benefit, the original owner must have had Sirius subscription time left, because I have that too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, so I just did the swap. I got a RBZ made in 2012 out of a 2013 Avenger.
Totally plug and play. I was fortunate enough to have the ebay seller give me the security code.
The splash screen said Dodge when first turned on, and in seconds switched to Jeep.
Side benefit, the original owner must have had Sirius subscription time left, because I have that too.
Awesome ! Getting mine in this week im pumped. My 130 broke and im using a speaker sitting in my back seat lol

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Now I have to get busy filling 28 gigs of music!
I've got over 800 songs on my Android head unit... doesn't even take up 8 gig. Still, I find myself listening to Pandora most of the time.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot 75th Anniversary Edition
60 Posts
Just replaced a Pioneer deck (screen died, I might replace the digitizer, and LCD later) with a 430n (0509xxxx series). Got the code off ebay (took just under an hour), hooked, and fired it up. Punched in the code, dropped into engineer mode and reinitialized the unit. All good with uconnect, the satradio, and nav. Have to update the head, and maps. Very outdated (the unit came out of a '12 Chrysler 200). After being in IT for over 30 years I still cringe at updating firmware. Things can go sideways real quick, and usually at the worst possible moment. I've read that Chrysler units can be very fickle when it comes to updating.

One thing to note. With the aftermarket head I had poor range with my fobs (one of them being new). When I put in the 430n the range tripled from before (now I can remote start from my desk instead of walking to the window and hope it starts). I was going to replace the antenna (and still might just so I can open up the old one to see whats inside) to see if that would help the range.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot 75th Anniversary Edition
60 Posts
FYI..

To enter Engineer Mode on the 430n with the accessories on and the radio off press and hold the Radio,Media, and Menu buttons for >7sec. Lots of stuff there, be careful playing. Poking around I saw a section where you may be able to view DTC's, and reset them. I didn't spend too much time messing with the radio since I just got my OBDLink LX, and Appcar software.. Goodtimes....

Reactions: weffy
1 - 20 of 20 Posts