Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

Registered
馃槃Cool tread

My local tranny shop said,,,,,they dont get mutch of those tranny,,he sais there reliable.

But said if mine goes on my pat trail........3000$ to rebuilt it all.

Better then 6000$ for new.

But will i do it. Wen they guave me like 3500-4000$ for my pat.mmmmm

Again cool tread. They should fix those.

At work we have 2 nissan rogues,,,,we went trew 3 cvt tranny in them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
It鈥檚 fixed and back together. I did have one problem. The paper I used for torque specs, was wrong. And I kinda stripped one of the bearing retainer bolts. I stopped before it was 100% toast, but I鈥檓 not happy about it. I used loctite now to hope it stays.

Otherwise, it鈥檚 complete and will get installed this weekend. Fingers crossed it works!

Slide hammer got this one out

But had to grind the other one out

Harbor freight bearing remover

Reinstalling new bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
185ft lbs!

Info for others

This little pin falls out. Keep an eye on it

You have to swap the gasket to the new filter

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Reinstall went fast. Just over 3hrs from starting to install the trans to starting the motor.

Didn鈥檛 take a ton of pics, but took some video. I鈥檒l upload the rebuild and install in a couple days.

Getting the fluid level right was a bit of a pain, but I got it. Trans works great, no more grinding. Hopefully I won鈥檛 have to work on it again! Put a few miles on it today, fun to drive. CVT trans is weird to me. Haha.

Too bad parts aren鈥檛 easier to find for it. Pretty easy to work on!

Registered
Good job and great write up and pics. This is awesome info, so thanks for sharing. I'm sure that it will come in handy for others.

Registered
It鈥檚 good to see you were able to replace the bearing. If anything else were to fail though in the CVT (like the Steel belt), that would have been impossible to find,no?

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
It鈥檚 good to see you were able to replace the bearing. If anything else were to fail though in the CVT (like the Steel belt), that would have been impossible to find,no?

I found the steel belt on ebay believe it or not. So it is possible to replace that too! It was under $200

Registered
Now, how mechanically inclined must one be to take on a job like this would you say? If you were to give it a grade from 1-10 (being the hardest). I would like to enjoy my Jeep for many years to come, so I want to know if I would be able to attempt this if the time ever came to it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Now, how mechanically inclined must one be to take on a job like this would you say? If you were to give it a grade from 1-10 (being the hardest). I would like to enjoy my Jeep for many years to come, so I want to know if I would be able to attempt this if the time ever came to it.

There was nothing hard about it, two things that I noticed out of luck was a little pin that keeps the shift lever in place, it fell out on the bench and happened to notice it (Ill address it in the upcoming video) and on the pulley side, there is a part that rides on the pulley and has a pin that hooks to the valve body, I luckily noticed that was out...

I just went off videos on youtube, and printed off whatever manuals I could find. Ill do a closing post with videos and all my materials as soon as I can!

There really wasnt a ton of other info on doing this, so Im hoping to cover the bases to help others on it.

BUT, that said, I think if you can do the basic mechanical stuff you can do this. Transmissions seem like alot of black majic, and Im still a little new to them, this being my second one apart, its not as bad as it seems as long as you take your time and pay attention. Take ALOT of pics when you take things apart.. And lay them out in order so it goes back the same way.

1-10, Id say 2 or 3.. It was really easy, MUCH easier than a normal auto trans thats full of planetaries and clutches and plates, one way bearings, etc...

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Part 2, part 3 is uploading...

Part 2
We open up the CVT JF011E transmission and diagnose the problem, in my case, it was a bad bearing and race, $37 part! If yours is grinding while driving, this may be the same issue. I did replace both of them on that shaft, just to be safe.

I also open up the other side to have a look at the metal push belt. Pretty weird design, but really simple and easy to work on. I point out torque specs, key things to look for, and mistakes to avoid.

If this is helpful please, let me know below! Dont forget to SUBSCRIBE!

This tranny is used in Nissans and who knows what else. Part 3 will be the installation and final drive!

1-10, Id say 2 or 3.. It was really easy, MUCH easier than a normal auto trans thats full of planetaries and clutches and plates, one way bearings, etc...
. . . and hamsters on treadmills! A conventional a/t looks like it was designed by Rube Goldberg.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Transmission Install 2009 Jeep Patriot CVT Automatic JF011e PT3

Registered
I really appriciate you sharing all this Deezil. I've rebuilt TF727s and TH400s, but I've never seen the insides of a CVT before. Your videos are undoubtedly informative. Thanks again!

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
I really appriciate you sharing all this Deezil. I've rebuilt TF727s and TH400s, but I've never seen the insides of a CVT before. Your videos are undoubtedly informative. Thanks again!
You bet! I hope it helps someone! Ill probably search out more broken ones and fix them, these trans are soooooo easy to work on. Its a shame they dont sell parts.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts