Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making videos of the cvt trans removal, rebuild and reinstall, if all goes well anyway, haha! I didnt find much info out there, so Ill try to document the process as I go along. Hope this helps someone! Enjoy!

Next vid will be taking the trans apart, and seeing if I can figure out whats wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I found the problem. One cheap bearing!
The far left gear

The other side for fun. All looks good here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure it's possible. Alot of metal on metal in here compared to a normal automatic trans. The issue now is sourcing the bearings. I'll probably change both of them on that gear. For some reason they don't have parts available all over the web.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting find. I'm not at all surprised. It's hard to find now but I either remember reading or hearing that someone had talked to a Nissan or Chrysler tech and they straight up said that this was the fail point of these transmissions. All the maintenance in the world apparently can't really prevent it. It's a shot in the dark but maybe when people are talking about these overheating and whining/whirring its the bearings expanding as the tranny heats up and then they can't rotate properly without gouging out? Idk, I'm not an engineer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also, just want to say thanks for doing this. It gives me hope that if I ever had a tranny problem that maybe (just maybe) there is hope that I could repair it (with some help and a lot of time) without spending a fortune just to replace it. If they're going to throw a new one in it - and most places would - I might as well try.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You bet! How this helps! So far it’s been pretty easy. I do plan to look into adding a better trans cooler.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
I was thinking of taking out the cooler filter and installing a better quality in-line filter with a magnet; something like this: TransProtector | NTF Filter

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
Interesting find. I'm not at all surprised. It's hard to find now but I either remember reading or hearing that someone had talked to a Nissan or Chrysler tech and they straight up said that this was the fail point of these transmissions. All the maintenance in the world apparently can't really prevent it. It's a shot in the dark but maybe when people are talking about these overheating and whining/whirring its the bearings expanding as the tranny heats up and then they can't rotate properly without gouging out?
Could be, but sometimes changing the fluid makes the whining stop.
At least that's what happened in my case.

·
7,817 Posts
My first CVT failed because of a bearing. I was getting a humming noise similar to what I've heard when conventional a/ts fail. When I asked the mechanic about how reliable the CVT is and what cause mine to fail he was pretty optimistic about CVTs in general, but then added, "there is that one bearing" so I guess even then it was a known weak spot.

My second CVT didn't make any noises, it just started to slip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure how much of a fan I am. So far disappointed in the lack of parts availability. Hopefully I'll find one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found the specs online. Think it’s just a normal wheel bearing?

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Parts ordered, had to get the bearings from Transstar, seems to be a special oem bearing, ofcourse.. I got both of them, figured why not while I was inside there.

https://www.transtar1.com/products/featured-products/Hard-Parts/Transfer-Gear-Bearing-Race-Kit-for-JF011E-Jeep-N

$37 each

Fluid I got from amazon, Mopar CVTF+4 Not cheap.. Got two jugs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y6VY5M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gaskets and filters (two trans filters) I got from Rock auto.. Everything SHOULD be here tomorrow, so I can button this thing up this weekend and maybe start putting it back in if time is on my side. Otherwise, itll be next weekend to reinstall. Ill have pics and vids!

I think Im around $250 or so for all the parts.

·
7,817 Posts
Parts ordered, had to get the bearings from Transstar, seems to be a special oem bearing, ofcourse.. I got both of them, figured why not while I was inside there.

https://www.transtar1.com/products/featured-products/Hard-Parts/Transfer-Gear-Bearing-Race-Kit-for-JF011E-Jeep-N

$37 each

Fluid I got from amazon, Mopar CVTF+4 Not cheap.. Got two jugs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Y6VY5M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gaskets and filters (two trans filters) I got from Rock auto.. Everything SHOULD be here tomorrow, so I can button this thing up this weekend and maybe start putting it back in if time is on my side. Otherwise, itll be next weekend to reinstall. Ill have pics and vids!

I think Im around $250 or so for all the parts.
That will be a great contribution to the knowledge base!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a video on the trans disassembly, but Im waiting to bundle that with the repair and reassembly. Then Ill do another vid on the trans install. So it should be about 3 parts total.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
I have a video on the trans disassembly, but Im waiting to bundle that with the repair and reassembly. Then Ill do another vid on the trans install. So it should be about 3 parts total.
Sounds great!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts